Home | About | Donate

At Least 66 Killed as Pipeline Explosion Rocks Central Mexico

At Least 66 Killed as Pipeline Explosion Rocks Central Mexico

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Local residents were advised to take precautions from a lingering toxic cloud on Saturday as authorities in the central Mexican state of Hildalgo said the death toll from a gasoline pipeline explosion had risen to 66.

0 Likes

QUESTION:
And why, pray tell, are so many people so desperate to access the privatized essential element (‘unobtainium’ in the movies) without which “democracies” are unable to function?

ANSWER:
_____________________ (fill in the blank).

2 Likes

Most fuels explode or burn. Exception: home solar heat doesn’t explode much, it just makes you warm. Wind doesn’t explode either.

Most fuels can be captured in some billionaire’s tank, and they can also be stolen if you’re careful enough, at least sometimes. Solar is free on your roof.

3 Likes

My deep sympathies for the families of these desperate people that risked their lives for this oil. May we find a way to keep the fuel in the ground while working with the nations that do not have the resources to pay for solar panels, wind turbines, geothermal. The ecological is a global crisis and the wealthy nations–most responsible for this crisis–need to reverse course while assisting the impoverished nations.

4 Likes

Solar is free? You never tried to install solar in your home, it seems. A solar installation, assuming your state gives you discounts, will run anywhere between $15,000 and $30,000. It is anything but cheap.

2 Likes

This was an accident waiting to happen. Thievery, dishonesty, and just doing things plain wrong is part of the cultural DNA of Mexico. I know saying this is impolite, but it is true. I went to Mexico several times and made an effort to observe, learn, and be objective, and it became clear that this conclusion is unavoidable. Bribery and corruption are so widespread and so extreme at all levels of society that the vast majority of foreign visitors, who can’t even imagine something like that goes on, don’t even notice it.

2 Likes

I hear you and extend my sympathies as well. I remember all too well of the leaking pipeline outside of Brennham, Texas that silently leaked natural gas during the nighttime causing a cloud of natural gas to slowly settle over the town. During the night an unsuspecting driver passing through the town ignited the escaping gas causing an enormous explosion that killed multitudes in Brennham. Then there was the incident in the little Central Texas town of Liberty Hill that I remember vividly. There was a 900 psi Exxon natural gas line than ran parallel to Tx. Hwy.29 and about a half mile north of said highway. A Pedernales Electric Cooperative worker who was drilling holes for new power poles mistook a survey stake that marked the pipeline for a stake showing the location for a power pole. He drilled into the Exxon gas line and the resulting explosion sent rocks dropping on houses over a mile away and of course instantly incinerated the operator of the boring machine. I’m a land surveyor and actually used to work for a pipeline engineering firm in Houston. There are no safe pipelines. They all operate at very high pressures and are an accident looking for a place to happen. The oil producing states of Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana are sitting on what looks like a bowl of spaghetti there are so many buried pipelines. Many are quite old and are covered by blanket easements that simply give right-of-way across huge tracts of land but give no specific location of the pipe. Like I said, an accident looking for a place to happen. It’s time to stop the accidents and climate destroying use of fossil fuels and move on to clean and safer sources of energy. There have already been alternatives invented but never heard of because these new inventions would stop the flow of money from fossil fuel. We need to grow up and move on. Nicola Tesla once said there is enough energy in a cubic meter of space to boil all of the world’s oceans off. Perhaps we need to find his research which was seized upon his death.

9 Likes

I kinda doubt that it was “illegal manipulation” that caused the ignition. What do you bet someone lit a cigarette?

2 Likes

aussidawg- I left a message in response to your music video on Vietnam. From the “Our nations capitol,” thread.
comment 66 I thought I would catch you before you left that one for good.

0 Likes

Monckton is once again demonstrably a jerk.

Desperate people stealing fuel are not the problem. Just like you blame “trash” people for Trump, and pretend you are “just being honest.”

You are spewing “divide-and-conquer” ruling-class propaganda.

6 Likes

what a horrifying explosion. what you see in that first video is what a bombing site looks like while it’s happening. people on fire running for their lives only to extinguish them faster. worst thing I’ve ever witnessed, and I’ve seen plenty.

a lot of those missing were pretty much vaporized at the point of explosion, so yes, the toll is going up.

another penalty for poverty. always having to take risks no one else does.

4 Likes

Moncton, What non-corrupt country do you live in, where the people are better? I would like to know where that is.

2 Likes

During the 1930’s in the US it was not uncommon for people to walk along railroad tracks carrying buckets to collect loose pieces of coal, not unlike the Mexican citizens carrying their containers. None of that had/has anything to do with corrupt people planning retirement to their Swiss chalets.

What do alternative facts, manufactured (believe me) narratives and the right wing have in common? Lying. The biggest ‘corruption’ escapes the label. The worldwide depression of the late 1920’s through the 1930’s was the consequence of a global financial arrangement that by its inherent nature, by its very formulation, is corrupt. Which can explain why there’s no historical equivalent of Washington crossing the Delaware in the areas of finance, banking, or economics in our country. What is expressed in the national culture, the culture that’s preserved by the people themselves, is the efforts of the public to challenge and change the exploitative hold the capitalist model has on the population. In the US and everywhere.

2 Likes

You analysis is lucid and cogent, I agree with almost all of it, except for the last sentence. What gets encoded in the culture of a nation is the outcome of centuries of behavior, not only resistance to a particular form of oppression.
The case of Mexico is particularly complex because two old traditions merged. If you go to Germany and wonder at the quality of everything surrounding you, at the almost incorruptible nature of judges, at the quality of education, etc. you are actually seeing the end result of over 1,000 years of rule by the Holy Roman Empire (the First Reich). If you go to Japan and admire the Japanese obsession with quality and refinement, you are seeing thousands of years of history.
The US, despite its racial troubles and dubious origins, “almost” became a civilized nation in the mold of today’s central and northern European countries. But the cultural mix, unfortunately, didn’t quite work. The future looks ominous.
This may interest you:

Notice that Chile, Uruguay, and Costa Rica in Latin America and Ireland in Europe, all countries traditionally viewed by Americans as more “primitive” than the US, are ahead of the US in the quality of their democracies.

1 Like

Yah, the “cultural mix” in the USA “didn’t quite work,” it has nothing to do with building a predatory system on a foundation of enslavement and genocide, it’s that “cultural mix” that’s the problem.

Again, you spew divide-and-conquer, ruling class propaganda. It’s what you do.

1 Like

When you thievery and dishonesty, you are talking about that of the oligarchs and capitalists who have impoverished people to the point they risk their lives to get a few gallons of gas so they can get to work, right? Surely you are talking about people like those in our government who legalize dishonesty and thievery with policies like NAFTA. Correct? Just making sure.

3 Likes

Webwallk, why don’t you read my comment before writing a response? I don’t deny what you say, but what you have today isn’t just the outcome of a single factor (a predatory system). If the US had turned out like Norway (the best democracy on Earth), it would be a paradise where very few people complain.
Also, you seem to believe there shouldn’t be a ruling class. What kind of society would that be? What matters is the quality of the ruling elite.

0 Likes

Ok, thanks Gangolf. I appreciate your letting me know. I’ll check it out!:slight_smile:

0 Likes

It would be a society where all citizens are properly educated to think and reason, a society where membership in the ruling class is a temporary position of service to one’s country with this service being given by members of all the economic classes in approximate proportion to their numbers in society. That kind of society could possibly be a democracy.

1 Like

How much would the pressure to access the essential “unobtainium” drop if public transportation were improved enough for us working stiffs to be able to easily move around without needing to obtain “unobtainium”?

How much would the pressure to access the essential “unobtainium” drop if many of our roads were made more friendly to smaller and slower and less expensive vehicles that did not need much if any “unobtainium” to get about?

How much would the pressure to access the essential “unobtainium” drop if families had more time available because they did not need to sell so much of their time to employers to get the money to pay the rentiers who create the shortages and monopolies that drive prices up?

0 Likes