Home | About | Donate

At Standing Rock, A Native American Woman Elder Says "This is What I Have Been Waiting for My Entire Life"

At Standing Rock, A Native American Woman Elder Says "This is What I Have Been Waiting for My Entire Life"

Ann Wright

This time I have been at Standing Rock, North Dakota at the Oceti Shakowin camp to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) for four days during a whirlwind of national and international attention following two terrible displays of police brutality toward the water protectors.

“I am now living as my ancestors lived...in nature all day, everyday, in community living, working and praying together. I have been waiting for this gathering all my life.”

I can understand this feeling, close enough to my experience as a full-time mountaineer for seven years, not for profit, unless one extends the concept of 'profit' to self-actualization, of gaining a new perspective - unattainable any other way than in the daily contact with the dangers and pleasures of the natural world.

Whether this pipeline goes through or no - you cannot lose this fight if you stick to your plan, and allow the better angels of human nature to come to the fore.

"The Morton county sheriff reportedly is investigating the purposeful destruction of personal property."

And who is investigating the Morton county sheriff and the rest of the disrespectful and destructive uniformed thugs?

I have NO doubt whatsoever that this marks the end of US insolence and tyrany by authorities all too quick to abuse their power.

Whatever it takes, it will be done (and that's not a threat - it's the certainty that justice WILL prevail and prevail soon!