Home | About | Donate

At Star-Studded Trump Protest, New Yorkers Vow to Build 'Wall Against Hate'

At Star-Studded Trump Protest, New Yorkers Vow to Build 'Wall Against Hate'

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Kicking off a weekend of disruptions and marches protesting the presidential inauguration of Donald Trump, an estimated 25,000 people rallied outside of Trump International Hotel in the president-elect's hometown of Manhattan on Thursday evening to send the message that New Yorkers will not roll over and permit attacks on immigrants, minorities, or the environment.

A great deal of people here at Common Dreams believe that the Government and the Police will come down hard on them if they exercise their right to protest peacefully. I say, it will be extremely hard for those forces to exert much damage on protesters carrying signs that mostly say, 'Love Is All You Need' or 'Give Peace A Chance'. If men, women, and children and Seniors are peacefully protesting what Law Enforcement Officer or National Guardsmen is going to start assaulting someone advocating Peace and Love? Especially if these protesters are in great numbers. It appears that the MSM has decided to start covering the civil disobedience being displayed in the streets of Washington DC at and after the Inauguration as well as in other cities around the country. If this continues to be the norm, this alone will provide a degree of protection to those exercising their right to assemble and protest peacefully.

Sounds exciting. I didn't think so many people could afford to miss a day of work to participate in Friday's events.

Meanwhile, life goes on. Many knew that the years of the Obama administration were likely to be our last chance to bring the "masses" together, for the common good. Unfortunately, we're even more deeply divided, pitted against each other by race and class. That wasn't Obama's doing. 20 years in this country's war on the poor, the overall life expectancy of the US poor has fallen below that of every other developed nation on Earth. Did you hear any calls over the past 20 years to restore the basic human rights (UN's UDHR) of food and shelter to our very poor?

You weren't around in the late 1960s, early 1970s, were you? A protest can fairly quickly and easily be turned chaotic. For example, one anti-protest person can (in an orchestrated attack) swing a stick at the head of a peaceful protester, causing a chaotic crowd response, with police rushing in violently, all in the space of less than a minute. You would be surprised how quickly and thoroughly the MSM can then disappear/pervert the real message of the protesters.

I see the fear in your words and rightly so. Yes, I was around in 1969 and protested the Vietnam War until it ended. I was at the University of Maryland when the Kent State tragedy made history. The campus I was on exploded a few days before that. Yes, I saw protests turn violent. I witnessed police beating students just because they were there. I got more than my fill of tear gas and pepper spray. I also was at the two largest protests in Washington DC in 70 and 71 which were very peaceful and had over 100,000 and 200,000 in attendance. I do not buy in to all of this fear and hate. I will stand with the younger generation in protesting the decimation of our freedoms as they occur. Will all of you?

How about a big B-E-U-T-I-F-U-L wall around the Trump white house with no exit or entrance gate.

Walling ones self off against hate won't end hate. What is needed are bridges of understanding. Historically that's the only thing that has worked against hate.

Hi DH, I just wanted to get back to you and ask if you saw any signs of violence towards any of the millions of protesters today all across the country. My wife and I didn't. As I said before, there is safety in large numbers.

What stopped the N