Home | About | Donate

At the Dividing Line Between the U.S. and Mexico, Two Very Different Visions of God Meet

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/06/dividing-line-between-us-and-mexico-two-very-different-visions-god-meet

1 Like

This article nails it–right on the head! I’ve been saying this same thing to my so called Christian friends. The looks I get, the comments I receive, basically are a stuttering incomprehensible mouthful of gibberish. If you say you are a Christian but you believe in trump and his policies, then I have to question your honesty. And it’s not only trump, but the republicans in general…faux Christian mouth-speak with forked tongue.

The Patriarchal God of Abraham, i.e., Christian, Muslim, Jewish, has a lot of identity crisis going on these days.

7 Likes

This third to last sentence should be the subject of the article:

“Religious views may continue to create more divides than they heal.”

If we actually use logic and critical thinking to solve our problems, we could make progress. If we continue to hurl “thoughts and prayers” at every situation, we will remain mired in the dark ages.

4 Likes

“…hopefully, the American president will find it in his heart to let us in.”

Sadly for these immigrants, the American president doesn’t have a heart, nor compassion, nor empathy. If he was born with them, and that’s a big if, his parents purged these traits from his body growing up.

4 Likes

There was a book published almost twenty years ago now titled American Jesus. I forget the name of the author, but it was brutal. Yeshua is a buff dude who’s out to kill all non-believers. None of that social justice, peace, and love stuff.

1 Like

Let us pray: God, would you please give us a hand against this pain-in-the-ass other God?

2 Likes

It is possible that we need a working definition of Love, self-determination, and dignity on both sides of the border and what we can expect from God. Migrants I’m sure do not have a full understanding of the country they are attempting to become a part of. The immigration process (transformation) is only the beginning or a long process and also indicative of some of the pitfalls that are an ingrained part of American life. A real expected vs observed moment. All of this could be done with dignity without any major changes of faith or religion.

2 Likes

They don’t care how bad it might be here. They know it’s much better than what they ran from.
Once here many hope they can blend into the woodwork like so many of us that are already here do all of the time. To not be noticed, thereby making it less likely that bigots will be on their case.

2 Likes

That maybe true but it is still only a part of what happens and that is changing. Still it doesn’t have to be as it is.

1 Like

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
— Epicurus, philosopher (c. 341-270 BCE)

3 Likes

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free…I lift my lamp beside the golden door."

After we, the uninvited settler colonialists from Europe get done murdering as many of the indigenous peoples we can, steal their lands and kidnap and force millions of Africans across the Atlantic in chains to work this stolen land while we babble on about a Judeo-Christian ethos.

Strange religion. Strange people.

2 Likes

Joe Rogan and Graham Hancock:

The ancient world emerged from Shamanism: