Home | About | Donate

Aung San Suu Kyi: A Leader in Denial?

Aung San Suu Kyi: A Leader in Denial?

Tharanga Yakupitiyage, IPS News

UNITED NATIONS - After finally breaking silence with a much anticipated address on the ongoing crisis in Rakhine State, Myanmar’s de facto leader Aung San Suu Kyi has disappointed the world as she refuses to acknowledge the plight of her country’s Rohingya community.

In a 30-minute televised address, Myanmar’s State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi said that her government does not fear “international scrutiny” over its management of the crisis in Rakhine.

Curious how Aung San Suu Kyi’s incandescent beauty has vanished before my eyes upon reading these recent demoralizing news reports of her stony silence.

Stockholm Syndrome? In any case, though I’m on the other side of the world and world calamities are breaking out all over, it seems, nothing leaves a taste of ashes like betrayal.

She is in control of nothing. She has no power. International recognition and celebrity mean nothing to those in control of the weapons. All of this is obvious. She might as well be broadcasting a baking program on PBS.

Kind of reminds me of when Obama won the Nobel Prize, and how I felt about that. She certainly seems undeserving at this point. Also reminds me how imperfect we all are, even idols amongst us.

All my idols are dead and gone. George Carlin and Kurt Vonnegut and John Lennon to name just a few of them. I have no idols in this day and age.

Gotta love the way the conspiratorial left robs people around the world of agency. Standing in front of TV cameras as a very popular de-facto ruler of Myanmar, she certainly has plenty of power. The trouble is, with this epidemic of fascist hyper-nationalism sweeping around the globe, this ethnic cleansing of darker-completed Muslims is quite popular among the Burmese Buddhist majority - including Suu Kyi herself.

Really? No other idols? I can name some dead ones, like Howard Zinn, Chalmers Johnson, Bertrand Russell, Sartre, Carl Sagan, Chris Hitchens, Seneca, Epictitus, Aurelius, etc. But living ones for me are Noam Chomsky, Norman Finkelstein, Andrew Bacevich, Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher, Amy Goodman, just to name ones in my mind at present.

Ethnocentricity, exceptionalism and omnipotence as consistently practiced by the US cause blind ignorance to the cultures, complicated internal strife and ancient enmities that many nations deal with 24-7.

Well, I had to read your comment several times to get the sense of it. I did not mean to denigrate her. Her dissembling about not understanding why this situation is happening was beyond credibility. If organized Buddhism is just as ethnocentric and bigoted as the rest of the world’s religions then it has failed its founder’s vision. I’ve been trying to understand this debacle, but am very ill-equipped to do so. Is it because of coveted land? Is it because of resistance to assimilation and likewise withholding of assimilation from the other side, something similar to the Hebrew diaspora throughout Europe?

I certainly meant to denigrate her, and you should too.

Her speech, which was in English, and targeted at a western audience, not her fellow citizens, was intentionally dissembling.

You sound surprised at this. Why would you be?

You can understand it by simply getting away from the US-centric US media (which includes Commondreams). I recommend Al Jazeera English. Wikipedia is your friend too. Briefly, the Rohingya are a ethnic and religious minority, hated and persecuted by the Burnese Buddhists, going back centuries. When Burma got it’s independence from Great Britain, they refused to give the Ronhingya status as citizens. The current situaiotn represents their “final solution”. And the US has nothing to do with this human rights outrage, because, believe it or not, the US is far from the being the only source of bad things in the world.

Another excellent piece that explains the crisis appeared in Bloomberg News:

Myanmar’s Rohingya Refugee Crisis, Explained

An another by Council on Foreign Relations:

Yes, but this has nothing to do with the US.

And while I’m at it, let me clear up une other thing I keep hearing from the US-centric US-left. The 2011 Syrian popular leftist peaceful uprising, which was brutally and violently put down by the always-violent, torturing and executing Assad regime as a response for a demand for Bashar to step down and call elections, had nothing to do with the USA. It was not a “CIA plot”. Assad was a friend of the USA - recall that Syria was where the US rendered Arabs like the Canadian Mahr Arrar to get tortured?

And no, the USA did not start the Syrian civil War, Assad did when he burtally repressed peaceful dissent, making nonviolent change impossible.

If there is a thing that enrages me more than anything about the geographically challenged US-left is the way it robs all people of agency in their attempts to overthrow their oppressors by calling the uprising “just a CIA plot” and actually siding with some of the worst global thugs out there!

So much hope so much promise…so much denial.

bill maher, noam chomsky ?? two supporters of the govt 911 fairytale. Without 911 the zio-cons would have no excuse to invade the Middle East.

Please, dear bourgeois California-style liberals, lose your insular misconceptions about Buddhism.

And this is hardly the first time - remember Sri Lanka’s Buddhist slaughter of the Tamils?

And my neighborhood is full of ethnically Nepali, mostly Hindu Lhotshampa refugees who were forcibly ejected from their homes by the most Buddhist of Buddhists - the Bhutanese.

You are going to discount these two progressives just because they don’t buy into 9/11 conspiracies. You actually prove Chomsky’s point, that such conspiracies are a diversion.