Home | About | Donate

'Autocrats Are Rejoicing': Trump's Latest Attack on Press Meets Fierce Rebuke

'Autocrats Are Rejoicing': Trump's Latest Attack on Press Meets Fierce Rebuke

Julia Conley, staff writer

Journalists, human rights groups, and lawmakers found common ground in their reaction to Donald Trump's latest attack on media outlets who critically who cover his administration. The video the president posted on Twitter over the weekend, showing him tackling and punching the wrestling promoter Vince McMahon with a superimposed CNN logo over McMahon's face, was met with widespread disbelief and outrage.

Constantly fertilizing Bellum omnium contra omnes,

Somebody tell CNN... but I don't think Trump knows how to do his job.

When Trump looks into a mirror, he doesn't see the President of the USA looking back at him. He just sees Trump ...just like usual!

Some might think that these tweets and nonsense videos etc from Trump show that he doesn't take the office of President seriously.

Then again this is as serious as the pussy grabber in chief actually gets! I'm guessing Trump wants to entertain us and seeks to boost his ratings for the 'Look at me, I'm the President' TV show!

I'm starting to think Robert Reich is right. I would have never thought Trump was smart enough to have a plan to take down our 4th. estate. As time goes on, it's really starting to look that way.

Instead of these outrageous attacks against the press, which criticizes every president, Trump should be defending our democratic system against the Russians. Trump's only motivation seems to be a childlike urge to disrupt anything and everything. For what purpose did he run as a racist to win the presidency? Perhaps because of his associations with the alt-right he understood that racism is much more widespread in the US than the experts have reported based on their studies. In any case he was able to win despite not have any qualifications and running a campaign of what would normally be considered a series of political gaffes. But he found just enough Americans who were seething about having to live for 8 years with a black president, having their country become more and more multiracial, and believing lies about all the government benefits undocumented immigrants are receiving.

The GOP and corporate democrats in congress are moving ahead fast passing infernal savage legislation whilst Trump performing his distraction show on twitter. Trump is not stupid he is fooling the people by burying their faces into the tube while his partners in crime pass draconian laws, pretty clever however devoid of ethics, morality.and basic human decency.

“Above all else, we know this: In America, we don’t worship government. We worship God,” Mr. Trump said to a “faith convention”, just a couple of days before he posted the video of himself “wrestling” with a CNN logo, in response to his fury at the media. (He forgot what he said before, else he would let god lead the wrestling match.) https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/01/us/politics/trump-tweets-stoke-voter-fraud-claim-and-attack-news-media.html?ribbon-ad-idx=5&login=google

We all know he doesn’t worship a Christian god, or he’d never be so outraged and encouraging of violence with him leading. What’s next, though? Maybe a naughty tweet of himself on a toilet taking his morning poop, waving a roll of Charmin and singing
Well, work it on out, honey, You know you look so good
You know you got me goin', now, Just like I knew you would

The maniac in the White House and his enablers would like nothing better than a civil war of sorts between the left and right. That would enable them to take full control of our country.
All the fear of the deep state seems to be a waste as he stumbles along with little to no push back from the so-called deep state. Maybe the TPP would have been a more ordered way to get the job done, since Trump is doing that and more in his scatter-shot sort of way.
If you haven't seen "Presidents Show" on comedy central, make a point of it. He has Trump nailed down and yet it is very smart and on topics of today. Hysterical!

Yes we do have a free press. They are free not to cover all the issues that are happening daily and only covering Trump. They are free not to cover anything that the fossil fuel would deem negative to them. They are free not to cover anything pharma or insurance might not like. They are free not to cover anything Koch's might not like. Name the industry that advertises on these network and cable news and they are free not to cover those stories as they might loose the big bucks.

We need a free press that works in the interest of the people not their own bottom line. Our capitalist system only rewards the ruthless and profit seekers.

What policies changed over the last 30 years to make that so? the ability of corporations to give stock to CEO and cause CEO to only work on quarterly returns. Back before the 80's Wall Street and stock market did not rule us, they were there and they worked for main street interest and keeping America great. Labor and Capital was taught in economics as one could not exist without the other. Labor/workers were valuable. Capitalists became greedy and our politicians set the rules that allowed them to get all the wealth.

The news media are judged on their entertainment value, not their civic value. The critical information value---what's important about a story or issue--is secondary to entertainment value. This is true whether you're Joe Scarborough, Rachel Maddow, Sean Hannity, Alex Jones, or even Bill Moyers. I watched some network news last night, and they played the Trump-beats-CNN gif over and over and over. This "war" between Trump and the media is pure collusion for ratings. It is certainly not about principles of right and wrong. If principles of right and wrong actually governed, Trump would never have been a candidate, let alone victorious. Remember, the show must go on.

Ms. Pelosi: "This #July4th, celebrate freedom of the press, guardians to our democracy."

Is this the same Press that refused to publish Seymour Hersh's latest piece on the gas attack in Syria??

Oh, they're guardians all right. They guard the elites very well.

If CNN and the rest of the media -from bottom to top and top to bottom, had actually 'done its job' over the past 30+ years we wouldn't be here dealing with this.

Didn't the corporate media bring this on themselves...and on ourselves?

Direct Democracy

LOL! at that image.

Dear Lrx,

Look... I don't like the way the paid Russian psy-op trolls spread pro-Trump, anti-Clinton nonsense on the internet which the US working class fell for hook, line, and sinker. But the threats to our (always rather flawed) democratic system are entirely homegrown. "The Russians" have nothing to do with it.

But maybe not forever...

“The illusion of freedom will continue as long as it's profitable to continue the illusion. At the point where the illusion becomes too expensive to maintain, they will just take down the scenery, they will pull back the curtains, they will move the tables and chairs out of the way and you will see the brick wall at the back of the theater.”

• Frank Zappa

And the diabolical despot thrives on chaos, revenge, and acts of war against anyone who does not kiss his ring. He is certifiably insane yet the GOP gangsters in the WH, H, S, and SC persist in legitimizing the tyrant who, along with his sychopantic flying monkeys has placed our democracy in peril. And it goes without saying how reviled he is around the world and how far our nation has fallen out of grace.

It is not the demented dimwit crafting the plan to dismantle the 4th estate, it is his puppetmaster, Bannon. DJT does not have the intellect, the attention span, nor the desire to plan for anything beyond counting the characters for his next infantile tweet. Bannon's plans are successful with the dawning of each new day He is the emperor's Rasputin.

Exactly what I was thinking, but you beat me to it.

IIRC, CBS was thrilled during the primaries at how their giving Tweetle-Dumb hundreds of hours of free air time was boosting their ratings. "It may not be good for America, but it's damn good for CBS." is what I seem to re­member reading about one of our leading 'Guardians of Democracy'.

Great reply! Thanks.