Home | About | Donate

'Backed Up Against a Wall,' Arizona and Colorado Teachers Join Wave of Strikes to Demand Education Funding

'Backed Up Against a Wall,' Arizona and Colorado Teachers Join Wave of Strikes to Demand Education Funding

Julia Conley, staff writer

Despite threats from education officials and lawmakers, thousand upon thousands teachers across Colorado and Arizona staged walkouts on Thursday after spending weeks calling attention to low teacher pay and insufficient school funding—and following similar protests in numerous other Republican-controlled states.

The turnout in Arizona despite the threats against them was very encouraging. My congratulations to the teachers of both Arizona and Colorado. Stay united and you have power, but if you let them divide you, they will crush you and you will be worse off then ever. The world is watching what you do, and taking notes. Stay true and stay together.

We all ought to support these teachers for standing up for what should have been provided to us automatically out of our tax dollars. Schools are relying on junk food industries and other dubious corporations to support our publicly funded k-12 education system at their and our children’s peril. As the private industry is becoming more involved in the educational direction we see the levels of environmental and health awareness among students and teachers dropping year after year. I have kids in school who are not at all cognizant of what is in the food they eat or served at school lunches. They seem to not be aware of our planet’s pollution problem and toss away even redeemable plastic water bottles and other recyclable materials by the tons. Our children are not taught to care for the planet or understand how our economy works. The emphasis in schools these days is militarism and obedience like it was in Nazi Germany.

I agree, they want unthinking compliant consumer/debt slaves. It appears they have been highly successful in their endeavor as well.