Home | About | Donate

Bad Leadership Is Plunging Public Schools Into a Crisis

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/11/01/bad-leadership-plunging-public-schools-crisis

3 Likes

Well Jeff, as a retired history teacher, after thirty years, sounds
like a continuation of the old mushroom syndrome; I know you
know it: they always treat teachers like dirt, feed them sh-t
and leave them in the dark. Although with a Biden victory, some
change in the sequence may be forthcoming.

1 Like

I’m not an educator, but I live with one. In our neck of the woods, the teacher’s spouse is, like, never invited into the classroom to audit pedagogic technique. So one of the few bright spots of a dismal year for me in 2020 has been the chance to (unavoidably, for the first time) see my hero the teacher, waist-deep into incredibly profound lesson plans! I don’t know about all teachers, but now I know there are at least a few who blow my socks off with their fantastic mastery in conducting a class. I’ve heard some parents are also experiencing pleasant classroom-audit surprises, on the other end of the Zoom session.

3 Likes

I could not finish the article because it really reminded me about the absolute lack of care homo sapiens have for each other or anything else for that matter and that the next generations are being destroyed before they are even aware of anything.

This article ruined my usually upbeat demeanor and hopefulness. It dropped me back off in reality. It will take me days to recover from this.

C’mon Trump fumble with “the football” today. Mom will clean up the mess.

1 Like

It’ll cost the federal government money to make online learning work for schools so the Trump gang will kick the can down the road and keep pushing to opening schools. Trump will always prefer giving money to his wall street and corporate donors knowing that some of that money will trickle back to his campaign coffers.

1 Like

We have far too many in society who believe that education means training. It does not. A well educated soul can be trained to do pretty much anything. A well trained person may never learn to think.

2 Likes

Duncan would know about “such horrific leadership”, given his role in keeping the (Bill) Gates of Hell open for the Orwellianly labeled “school reform”.

The educational establishment has for decades been the core of the Democrat Party, notably the NEA.

After decades of student test scores that rank in the bottom third of the world (while spending double what anyone else spends per student) – they announce that the Trump administration is responsible for destroying public education.

They must have gone to public schools.

2 Likes

I retired as a school superintendent eight years ago after working in that capacity for 29 years. To call them out because they were not given clear directives on how to open schools, they were not given the financial resources to execute decisions made by their local boards or State governors, or unable to engage teachers in decisions that were not theirs to make to begin with is unfair. I hope Mr. Bryant will reconsider his broad brush criticism of “school leaders” and appreciate the extent to which they are in the same predicament as teachers. Based on my experience, superintendents appreciate the hard work teachers do and their ability to improvise when they are dealt a bad hand. “School leaders” were dealt a VERY bad hand in the whole reopening decision process.

There is so much more to education, public and private, than what can be provided online. This is especially true for the education of the younger ages up through at least their first two years of college. Social interaction is a very integral part of the equation which can never be excluded.

1 Like

It appears that you have bought into the “Biden cool-aid”! The lesser of two evils will never achieve a better height. Is there a solution? Most likely not, as the empire is crumbling.

1 Like