Home | About | Donate

Bad News for Democracy Is Great News for TV Profits

Bad News for Democracy Is Great News for TV Profits

Bill Moyers, Michael Winship

Television news has gone off its rocker and turned our politics into the equivalent of a freak show’s hall of mirrors.

The networks have grasped Donald Trump to their collective bosom like the winner of one of those misogynistic, televised beauty pageants he owns. Each pronouncement from the Sultan of Slur is treated as epic, no matter how deeply insulting, bigoted or just plain ridiculous.

"I know no safe depositary of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education. This is the true corrective of abuses of constitutional power."
--Thomas Jefferson to William C. Jarvis, 1820.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

What I can't figure out is who is still watching any of the 'major' network's coverage of, well, anything let alone actually spending money with any of their advertisers? I had actually forgotten that the ABC/CBS/NBC/CNN/FOX's still existed. Considering the absurdity of the questions asked during all of these Republican 'debates', who sits through these things? Apparently, if the DNC has anything to say about it, the Democratic debates will be more of the same; that is if they ever let Hillary get near Bernie.

It doesn't have to be this way.
All of it is a choice, not an asteroid.

News is no longer News.
News is entertainment.
Entertainment is what the average American wants.
The MSM is going to give the people what they want.
Giving the people what they want increases their ratings.
Increasing their ratings means more profits.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

They thought she had it won even before it started.