Home | About | Donate

Baltimore is Burning—Not Just in Flames, But With a Righteous Anger

Baltimore is Burning—Not Just in Flames, But With a Righteous Anger

Frida Berrigan

Baltimore is my home town — the birth place of Jonah House, a Christian nonviolent resistance community founded by my parents, Phil Berrigan and Elizabeth McAlister. Those places that the whole world is seeing “going crazy” on the news? They are my geography, my history, who I am. Baltimore is many things to many people and I feel like I am right there even though I am far away right now.

If you really believed that the empire is crumbling, you'd be optimistic, too.

The Real News Network is Baltimore based and brings a unique and incisive hometown forum for the national public discourse. Very much worth viewing their coverage

A number of segments are posted that will probably be nowhere else unless the mainstream media wakes up.

It is in the air. As one who has lived for 70 years, growing up in the South, I can feel it. The deserved crumbling of Empire as cruelty, greed and indifference supercede any sense of responsibility as citizens. Oh its all so negative is what I hear from friends and acquainsences. Yes, its all so negative; and that attitude makes it hopeless.

This is just a little too upbeat for me right now. This attitude appears (I imagine regularly after a riot--Watts, Rodney King, just to name two) with the belief that change is finally here, it has arrived...until the next time, and the next--AND this false hope has been shredded decade after decade. This will be no different and the proof will be IF these 6 cops (that the BPD will go all out to see acquitted and return to work for they are "family") are not found guilty, then what just occurred will be foreplay to the real burn baby burn. The BPD is already making their case that the officers are not guilty (evidence will disappear, testimony will change or be invented, and the PR blitz is on to prove this is about revenge by a black prosecutor). Sorry, this entire article makes me very, very sad. Gentrification is the movement. If you don't believe me, look at Detroit, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Albuquerque (NM) just to name a few.