Home | About | Donate

'Banking for the People': Tlaib and Ocasio-Cortez Unveil Bill to Foster Creation of Public Banks Across US

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/30/banking-people-tlaib-and-ocasio-cortez-unveil-bill-foster-creation-public-banks

7 Likes

Prohibits investment in fossil fuel projects.

The best part of a good bill. Thank you AOC and the squad.

11 Likes

I applaud the efforts.
Keep telling the truth.
I hope the people follow you.
Now, get back on twitch and remind those gamers to vote.

7 Likes

WooHoo!! The big bank crashed us here in Oregon 12 years ago when we tried to create a public bank. Get this done! Vote Blue all down the ticket. Of course here in Oregon we have vote by mail and kind of solid ground except for DeJoy so I took my ballot to the election office.

9 Likes

What a great idea which has worked very well, South Dakota?, where implemented. I am sure that Biden and the neo-libs will enthusiastically support this.

3 Likes

So, approximately 5% of the democrats in the house have signed on.

There is no way Pelosi or the overwhelming majority of democrats would waste their time with this idea

because the democrat party and the republican party are depending upon Wall Street to determine

what gets done.

The senate members are even worse.

This proposal is heresy to the religion of predatory capital of which Washington is the most

prominent cathedral.

If this was a serious attempt, these people would not be democrats or republicans.

11 Likes

It’s morning in Murca!

2 Likes

Thank you, ladies. It always feels like a miracle that you are in congress - each time you present something new. This is great!!! And thank you, Mark Ruffalo, for your recognition of their good works.

7 Likes

ALL we have to do is get that info in a letter to your congress person - D or R -
& say I’m watching you - send one to Pepsicola too -

remember, if enough letters are sent they might think is a movement -

I know, eyeroll from some of you - but @ 74 I’m immune to them now -

5 Likes

Yah, it will be telling to see where the resistance comes from. Pelosi is married to a bankster if I recollect correctly. There was a time when banks actually gave you something in return for being a customer.

“I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.”

Thomas Jefferson (Attributed)

Money as debt.
~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AC6RSau7r8

6 Likes

First: REAL progressives back credit unions.
Second: why do these ladies even think that the federal reserve, owned by the big banks, are going to permit any competition?
Third: If this passed and Trump won another term as president, how many of these new would have “TRUMP” over the doorway and give the el-trumpo family access to billions of gifted dollars to themselves.
Fourth: Why not reform the Federal Reserve. Start with taking away their grabbing responsibility for wall street gamblers losses and covering / managing insurance companies
Fifth: Design and implement a new USA central bank while keeping politicians hands out of the cookie jar.

other: gee, just before the election. some kind of late October life preserver of hope thrown out to the masses.

6 Likes

This bill has the same chance of becoming law as the bill introduced to give seniors a bump in their social security. Zero. AOC has confused the United States for a country that gives a shit about its citizens.
“You have no choice. You have owners. They own you.” - George Carlin - The American Dream (2005)

5 Likes

They should tie this bill into allocating federal money and resources to encourage the creation of more credit unions. Or maybe work it through the USPS. Not having read the whole bill, it is certainly a good starting point and Progressives need to give them feedback as to how to make the bill better. I think these women would be more than open to input from the citizenry.

6 Likes

The big “banks” have been liberated from oversight since the Clinton administration.

These institutions are now the supporters of largely unregulated gambling through the

state sanctioned impunity they deliver to and through the most devious predators on

Wall Street. They will and have bet against themselves if they came inflate the lack of

substance into a mirage of profit which they project into and through their privatized media schemes.

This is reflected in the behavior of the democrat and republican agents who feed off of the

suckers who fall for their misrepresentations.

This corruption is ardently supported and depended upon by both TrumpPence and BidenHarris,

no matter what words they use to deceive people into keeping their brains from seeing the truth.

Militarizing Deregulation for private profit is central to the bipartisan democrat/republican scam.

8 Likes

I totally agree with the USPS having savings accounts and checking accounts.
Not sure about credit cards, car loans.
But, home mortgages without red lines imposed, honest appraisals plus careful inspections WILL help
millions go from renting to ownership. About one year ago, freddie proposed a 3% down payment for folks with decent credit score.

The USPS financial would have access to schools, have mobile units (electric, mind you) be everywhere within the military and VA. Who’s not to like?

5 Likes

I miss the late George Carlin, he was one of the best. Yes, they own us… not with literal chains, but with economic chains.

4 Likes

Hey there neighbor. Took mine yesterday to the now closed Beaverton Library where across the street there’s a drop box and a snakey line of cars pulling over to drop their ballots through the funnel slit at driver window’s level. For all the good it’ll do U.S., no matter who wins, those down-ballot issues make a big diff for those like me working a union negotiated minimum wage Gig E-CON gig at Kroger\Freddy’s!!!

Kroger has now even been dumping ad dollars for PSA’s on Public Broadcasting and Community Radio (KBOO) to keep that Corporate Caliphate Uber-ization indoctri-Nation going!!! And KBOO raises money claiming they don’t take any corporate money!

Bull-shite newly hired KBOO News Director Althea Billings who when I called in on her weekly Friday Morn MIND THE GAP so-called station accountability program denied she’d heard any FRED MEYER (KROGER bought that family grocery chain out decades ago and have centralized to Cincinnati HQ) PSA’s!

While I’ve been sending Public Affairs program audio archives linked from their other wise useful KBOO program web-site to my email MEDIA DISCUSSION LIST carrying those same as NPR announcements hawking Kroger Rewards Points and the ‘enterprise’ of coast-to-coast cartel anti-competitive ANTI-TRUST efficiencies book-ending KBOO’s on-air programming!!! Like the station’s rare paid employee the News Director wouldn’t be signing the book showing she read the supposedly local underwriter’s enhanced underwriting advertisement on so-called Community Radio the Voice of the Voiceless!?!?

As Pauline Kael said when she left Pacifica Listener-supported Radio the template for non-corporate broadcast media in U.S. to write for the NEW YORKER as one of their film critics, Kael noted how the Pacifica stations especially Berkeley’s KPFA and WBAI in NY but also KPFK in L.A. and the Houston and Washington DC station that went to jazz programming, she noted they made all their listener money when times were hardest. Why? That’s when people love to believe there is a place that airs the “VOICE OF THE VOICELESS.”

Dear Pauline Kael called the Pacifica Radio Foundation bid-net model "The Commodification of Conscience." Not to say I don’t value what Pacifica stations have in the broad scope of U.S. broadcast history accomplished. No bigger lover of KBOO’s free-form and creative non-cookie cutter broadcasting too. Jest saying we’d like to think they had not only a Trustafarian’s back but a Wage Slave Worker’s back too!

Along with Wal-Mart and CERBERUS HOLDINGS allowed to buy up SAFEWAY, ALBERTSON’s and anything west of the Rockies Kroger and Wal-Mart hadn’t already bought up or put out of bid-net!

Small wonder not much coverage of Kroger on their single weekly KBOO Labor Radio program…So here, read and weep then act on this while U.S. shleppers so-called minute Hero’s Pay was pulled before Kroger had to report their compensation bonus for their $21 Million efficiency CEO Rodney McMullen:
~https://popular.info/p/update-krogers-21-million-man
~https://www.toledoblade.com/business/retail/2013/07/22/Taxpayers-subsidizing-low-paid-employees/stories/20130722045

Mitch Ritter\Paradigm Sifters, Code Shifters and Song Chasers
Lay-Low Studios, Ore-Wa (Refuge of Atonement Seekers)
Media Discussion List and Looksee

2 Likes

Their ownership of “us,” ultimately, is predicated on chains of ideas.

“A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly by the chain of their own ideas… on the soft fibers of the brain is founded the unshakable base of the soundest of Empires.”
― Michel Foucault, Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison

8 Likes

You beat me to it! I wonder what those great “innovators” think credit unions are if not publicly-owned banks.

2 Likes

Disgusting Bonus for Kroger CEO. We need a $15 plus minimum wage or if we defund the billionaires and get back to a fair and just society. The way the government figures inflation is a joke as I am sure you know that, my food expenses have gone up every single year for last 2 decades. Medication, thank goodness I only take two prescription drugs, they usually go up annually. Good fortune to you from NE Portland.

1 Like