Home | About | Donate

Barbarians Are Made, Not Born

Barbarians Are Made, Not Born

Vijay Prashad

Genuine terrorists require little amplification of their acts. These acts are designed to create a certain emotional response. A beheading here, a burning there – ghastly repetitions of old acts, as old as The Rack or the Judas Chair. It takes little imagination to picture the pain. The terrorist conducts the act in public, on YouTube at least, in order to sow terror. That is the point of the act.

Mr. Prashad presents a far more honest and nuanced analysis than that which is typically featured by mainstream media outlets. Still, I think something vital can be borrowed from George Lakoff's insight into framing; that is, the particular way that issues are depicted.

By using the frame that sets the Muslim terrorist apart for his acts of barbarity, the GREATER barbarity seen in the destruction of city after city added to the random collateral murder of mostly innocent civilians is kept outside of the frame. The real barbarity is the enduring impact of tons of toxic detritus (Depleted Uranium and other poisons) and the fact that it's causing long-term genetic impacts.

So long as the West and its propagandized outlets can retain the frame that puts the Arab terrorist into the ring of condemnatory fire, its own far more pervasive and deranged acts--all of them calculated mass murder--stay OFF the radar.

When I was a child if a fight broke out at school, the authority figure would first ask: "Who started it?" That is still a piece of vital evidence; and for those of us who recognize the trigger for M.E. wars as a false one, it radically changes the rationale for all the senseless carnage up to and including a whole new rulebook that condones torture!

So long as the West and its propagandized outlets can retain the frame that puts the Arab terrorist into the ring of condemnatory fire, its own far more pervasive and deranged acts--all of them calculated mass murder--stay OFF the radar.

I don't think that you understand how the Western media portrays the Middle East and the populations associated with that region.

In truth, both the fourth estate and official Washington are framing all Arabs and Muslims as terrorists. You are correct to point out that the Western powers exclude themselves from that construct.

The purpose of this frame is to encourage all (white) westerners to view any dark-skinned, "foreign" looking person as a terrorist threat. The strategy is working; just look at that poor Indian fellow beaten up in Madison, Alabama for walking down the street.

mcp

Making enemies and influencing people

To join them

You didn't understand my post to make this statement.