Home | About | Donate

'Battle for the Net': Web Guardians Announce Global Day of Action to Defeat Trump's FCC

'Battle for the Net': Web Guardians Announce Global Day of Action to Defeat Trump's FCC

Common Dreams staff

In order to confront what they consider a frontal attack on the Internet by the Republican Party and the powerful telecommunications industry, defenders of net neutrality joined with some of the web's most influential companies on Tuesday in announcing a new campaign and global day of action designed to defend rules enshrined by the Federal Communications Commission just two years ago.

1 Like

Just posted the ‘Battle for the Net’ website link to Nextdoor to over 3000 neighbors!

3 Likes

This is a test. This is a test of the actual democracy of the United States.

If the FCC can successfully eliminate Net Neutrality against the will of the people we will recognize that democracy has been fully usurped by the corporations.

2 Likes

So tell me, how do European countries and South Korea get 50-100mb and telephone and TV for $35-40 a month and we get sh*t? It’s called competition, which we don’t have. Phk Comcast and the ass it rode in on.

2 Likes

“own Internet” the internet was developed with money belonging to the citizens of the USA. Not liberals not conservatives but WeThePeople and especially not (ISPs, web providers, etc.

As to not telling those you list (ISPs, web providers, etc.) how to run their business’ the internet is analogous to the interstate which likewise DOES NOT BELONG to business or industry.

Nobody is stopping the development of the internet. People are stopping the ISPs from double charging customers and restricting competition online. Then again, I’m sure there’s some great marketing spin from Comcast you’ll enjoy soon.

Much the same could be said of the aviation and the space program Advancements comes from collaborative work with the government, individuals, and industry contributing. In the case of NASA, the government pays for the R&D with industry retaining the IPR (intellectual property rights).

In my work with various standards groups, I relinquished my IPR as open source.

A good example is Creative Commons (CC) which is devoted to expanding the range of creative works available for others to build upon legally and to share.

Many of these advancements come from industry/government standards working groups. The protocols are derived and set in the standards groups, the implementation is left to individuals.