Home | About | Donate

Battleground States: The Time for Manufacturing Weapons of War Has Passed as a Viable Industry for Our Nation

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/06/26/battleground-states-time-manufacturing-weapons-war-has-passed-viable-industry-our

1 Like

Kathy Kelley is a Peace Angel, but sadly a voice crying in the wilderness.

4 Likes

I have a handful of people I still view as heroes. Kathy Kelley is one. When she speaks I listen and nod my head.
Now, it’s up to me to do something about it.

3 Likes

Weapons of war ARE our economy. Good luck finding a replacement flow of cash somewhere.

3 Likes

Of course a social safety net would be a great way to award government contracts instead of building weapons of mass destruction. That’s what they do in wealthier and more advanced countries like Germany, Italy and Japan. But too many people have bought into the false narrative that “defence spending creates jobs” or that we need a trillion dollar military budget to “protect American lives”. It will be a tall order to reverse decades of mainstream propaganda. The sad part is, if we don’t see a “great awakening” soon, the entire planet will die off.

3 Likes

Even though false narratives too many Americans still believe the egregious lies. And I would add the biggest lie of all: WE ARE BRINGING THEM____________( FILL IN THE COUNTRY OF YOUR CHOICE) FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY!

1 Like

That’s why I hope Mr Biden picks Elizabeth Warren as his VP candidate. She is the only one to talk about the importance of removing $ from politics. Pres Eisenhower talked about the dangers of the Senate Military Industrial Complex. Now we’ve gotten to the pt where corporations own the govt.

2 Likes

Back when we still had the shrub as president, at one of the conferences on the ME wars, one of the generals said, “We’re going to bring peace and democracy to these people if we have to kill every damned one of them to do it!”
** Looks to me that after twenty years we are approaching that goal, and the yellow haired and yellow hearted troll that is apparently in charge now wants to finish the job with new thermonuclear weapons, as a demonstration to the Chinese, Russians and other countries, of what they face if they don’t do what we tell them to do. The yellow troll is trying to live out the wet dream fantasies of his childhood hero, Adolph Hitler, (if he has to kill every damned one of us to do it!)
** Sheesh!
;-})

2 Likes

Well, that would not surprise me!

2 Likes

I have an issue with “our economy”. I wouldn’t say that what Boeing or Grumman do represent “our economy” but rather “their economy”. The MIC produces very few jobs compared to Walmart, Amazon or public servant jobs. The MIC pays poor wages generally but reap huge rewards via the stock market and preferential treatment by a corporate owned and stocked government. “Our economy” would be best served by defunding the entire military and using all those funds to pay people well, and get us to begin performing essential tasks we are all in desperate need of like personal support workers, government housing, cleaning up the environment, building public transit, providing free schooling beyond K-12, universal healthcare, social workers and promoting cooperatives to replace evil corporations to wrest control of “our economy” from the “corporate economy”.

1 Like