Home | About | Donate

Bayer-Monsanto Merger Is 'Five-Alarm Threat' to Food and Farms: Legal Experts

Bayer-Monsanto Merger Is 'Five-Alarm Threat' to Food and Farms: Legal Experts

Deirdre Fulton, staff writer

A new legal opinion penned by two former Justice Department officials bolsters warnings that the proposed merger between agroindustrial giants Bayer and Monsanto "is a five-alarm threat to our food supply and to farmers around the world."

A couple of interesting links to share:
http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/37082-how-one-gmo-nearly-took-down-the-planet

And once again---
http://www.truth-out.org/buzzflash/commentary/monsanto-s-unapproved-gmo-wheat-found-growing-in-washington-state

I guess a heap of shit is where shit gets dumped.

Note that the white paper was drafted by FORMER Justice Department officials.

Seeing how 1) the EU has been stacked with corporate puppets who recently approved GMOs for the EU, 2) more megamergers have occurred during Obama's watch compared to any of his predecessors, 3) Obama just signed the Dark Act prohibiting states from enforcing GMO labeling regulations ,and 4) Obama will be signing TPP after the November election, consider the Bayer-Monsanto merger a done deal.

We are not going to get help from our governments with respect to this sort of thing any time soon.

Clinton has taken the Democratic nomination by fraud and force, and has already set about continuing the purge of liberal-progressive-lefty officials. The trouble is not just that Monsanto enters the White House with Clinton, it is that the party continues to muscle left-leaning Democrats out of both party office and elected office. At the same time, Obama has just signed laws to prevent local governments from protecting citizens.

Will vote Green--because I cannot see voting for Trump as a least-worst candidate. But surely this needs action outside the electoral process.

It may eventually make some difference to protest and lobby politicians. But in some ways the vulnerable target here is not the politician, but the corporation. But if we buy from Monsanto 364 days per year, it is not surprising that they can purchase elected officials on the 365th. We have to stop that.

I have that gut and apparently for that reason, and have only slowly been able to work through the causes and effects. Would I knew what was apt to happen before it did.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to hear we still have anti-trust laws in this country.
I signed a petition, can't remember where I found it or I would post it here, to comment against the merger. I think the petition is still open for comments though.
Sorry I couldn't post it but we should fight this horrific merger till it's dead.

There are several sites with petitions to stop the merger and this is one: http://www.care2.com/news/member/9%2067140289/3998780

Reagan opened the Pandora's box when he and his administration with the blessings of Congress hamstringed and weakened the Clayton Antitrust Act (former Sherman Antitrust Act thank you FDR) thus allowing mega-mergers while spewing rancid rhetoric to the public that such mergers and acquisitions would create new jobs (LIES, LIES, and MORE LIES). Successive Congresses and Presidents (with the blessing of SCOTUS) regardless of party affiliation have done little to enforce mega monopolistic mergers and acquisitions.

Dangerous madness. www.PlanetInPeril.ca

Obama's Legacy: Ushering in "1984" 32 years behind schedule.

""defying important antitrust protections, giving it unacceptable
control over critical aspects of our food supply—undermining consumer
choice and the freedom and stability of farmers worldwide."
"

I can't imagine a little thing like that bothering our Republican/Democratic Oligarchic government.

Good link thanks. And that is correct, I'm old enough to remember when those laws were somewhat enforced.

Speaking of threats that come in the form of chemicals and human stupidity/greed at the expense of living creatures: is anyone else concerned about the massive spraying for Zika?

Naled: The Insecticide Used To Fight Zika
August 4, 2016 6:06 PM By Giovanna Maselli

“The CDC recommended the same chemical for aerial spraying in Puerto Rico, but the recommendation has been met with protests from residents concerned about its impact on health, bees, agriculture and the environment.”

“Miami-Dade health officials said residents do not need to take special precautions during the aerial spraying activities, but it has recommended that people with known allergies remain indoors.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-zika-insecticide-idUSKCN10E06Q

http://www.toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Naled

http://nospray.org/naled-insecticide-fact-sheet/

as another aside, I've seen about 6 monarchs this summer---other reports?

Oh my GOD!!!! Can it get any worse for us?!?!
We MUST not be quiet about this!!! We MUST NOT buy their products!! We must DEMAND non-GMO, organic and environmentally sustainable products!!!
Must we wait until 100% of the population of the US gets cancer, autoimmune diseases, etc!!!!?????!!!!
Bayer, who was involved in experimentation on human at concentration camps in Nazi Germany?!?! This CANNOT be allowed to take place!!!!

The thing is, there is no survivable bottom. Things can always get worse. As yet, there is no groundswell of opposition to GMO foods or any of the high tech chemical intensive products and processes that have infected food production.

For every Lisambug who reacts with OMG! there are dozens of people who, because they can't taste any problem are just glad to have something to eat.

The only something to be done is keep spreading the word and try to figure out all the possible ways to get people to be part of that "We" who must get concerned and reinforce that "We" are all in this together and "we" will all be in time affected by everything that is being done so dangerously wrong.

The people who are aware and concerned seem to me to be overly fixated on trying to learn to outwit the poison food problem to find ways to keep themselves safe, reading labels and trying to learn what stuff to personally avoid, That can only work for so long, then it will be "So long" to us all.