Home | About | Donate

BBC Journalist Violently Attacked at Texas Rally After Crowd 'Whipped Up Into a Frenzy' by Trump's Anti-Press Rhetoric

BBC Journalist Violently Attacked at Texas Rally After Crowd 'Whipped Up Into a Frenzy' by Trump's Anti-Press Rhetoric

Julia Conley, staff writer

A BBC correspondent shared on social media a video of his colleague being attacked at President Donald Trump's rally in El Paso, Texas Monday night, laying blame with the increasingly anti-press rhetoric the president spouts at his public appearances, including at this one.

It’s unlikely, and I don’t expect it, but wouldn’t it be wonderful if the press just decided to stop covering the fool? He’d shrivel up like the Wicked Witch of the West.

8 Likes

Hitler also turned the Germans against the press… the similarity is astounding.

11 Likes

Lay the blame for this violent attack and all the others, as well as the many racist and bigoted incidents directly at the feet of the ginger Mussolini! The incitements he employs in his trump youth rally’s are, and should be prosecuted as the crimes they are! The cancers of racism, bigotry, homophobia, violence against women and more, trump represents is metastasizing as he intends!

The struggle to counter the malignant violence trump incites will need all people of good conscience and courage…a combination so-far lacking in many ways from ordinary citisens, as well as elected reps of both parties and the media that are complicit to trumps crimes! Silence equals complicity!

“In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends" -
Dr Martin Luther King Jr

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing " - John Stewart Mill

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. "
“The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything” - Albert Einstein

“You must be the change you wish to see in the world” - Mahatma Gandhi

“Do or do not,there is no try” - Yoda

8 Likes

I believe the proper legal term we are looking for is “Inciting Violence”. And it would get anyone else locked up immediately.

10 Likes

Only three brave women representatives stood against US war mongering and world-wide terrorism.

Democrats and republicans alike thirst for war and united states dominion over Earth.

3 Likes

I remember R.M. Nixon flashing the double Churchillian V-for-victory sign at his public appearances—except for the fact that the same sign had, by then, been adopted by the counterculture to signify “peace.” He knew full well the effect, once being heard to say, “That drives the hippies crazy.” It’s not easy to prosecute a sitting president for incitement to riot, which is not to say we shouldn’t try.

2 Likes

Conley sez:
“… cameraman Ron Skeans was violently shoved by a Trump supporter wearing a ‘Make America Great Again’ hat.”

Now, now. We shouldn’t jump to conclusions before all the facts are in. I expect in the coming hours Ms. Huckabee-Sanders will assure us this lone wolf was, in fact, a Liberal plant acting as an agent provocateur.

And, further, that the president regrets the unfortunate disruption coming, as it did, during the ritual MAGA-rally chorus of Kumbaya.

4 Likes

The problem with that is the right wing propaganda machine will be the only ones broadcasting what he says, does and happens at his rallies.

2 Likes

If it were only one person, be it Trump or anyone else, that’s not much of a problem. Let him bleat.

It’s the masses who respond to it, not because they didn’t already have those fears and hatreds roiling within them, until he or another stirred their feelings and actions. No, Trump and his ilk are only giving the audience what they came for, a chance to vent their collective spleens.

I’m not trying to give Trump a pass on anything. Far from it. But if large segments of our society weren’t so grounded in such cruelty, he’d be playing to a damn near empty house.

8 Likes

The damage is already done.
He has his fanatical followers now, and if the usual propagandists stopped obsessing over his every inane tweet the rightwing echo chamber would simply pick up the slack.
It would also leave him an opening to start his own “news” network.

Didn’t Hitler put a Luger to his temple, and pull the trigger?

Wouldn’t that similarity be astounding?

6 Likes

the violence from the right is only going to get worse. This is not a “both sides” do it thing. The violence is asymmetrical and from the right.

Has this fanatic been charged with assault? Should Trump be charged as an accessory to violence?

2 Likes

“Hispanic Americans and Asian Americans have reached the lowest levels in the history of this country.” Straight out of the Adolf Hitler playbook.

3 Likes

BBCs probably responsible for more deaths than Trump rallies. This is the bed corporate (and de fact corporate “public”) media made themselves.

I’m not feeling sorry for them. And no, that doesn’t mean I condone picking off journalists, either. These cretins would go after indy journos just as fast. I just don’t want to see corporate hacks crying about it.

1 Like

Reminds one of the old choppy clips of the Hitlerian crowds whipped up into a frenzy by a mentally ill megalomaniacal conman.
And the endless loop of hate and willful ignorance keeps looping. Good times ahead.

3 Likes

MSNBC had no problems with Trump when they carried “The Apprentice” on its network. He was their darling as a matter of fact.

Trump had no problem with MSNBC when he appeared on “The Apprentice”.

Here the thing that should be worrisome in the USA. There a visceral hatred for people on the other side of the political spectrum. This has been stoked by years of media driven hysteria (see Rush Limbaugh) wherein a different viewpoint is claimed as being a threat to ones way of life or treasonous. The political discourse is not healthy. This is coupled with an armed population , a police state police force that has been militarized and a society that embraces violence as the solution to social ills.On top of this wealth inequality explodes and peoples are seeing a very poor future for themselves financially. It very volatile and dangerous and not helped at all by politicians or members of the media that exploit this.

7 Likes

More likely she would either deny the event ever happened, or tell us it was Skeans who attacked the MAGAtte.

1 Like

That’s how I feel as well. At the bottom, I am far more frustrated and angry at the people to whom this kind of hatred, bigotry et al appeals than I am about the small minded mentally off conman spewing such things. Frustrated and angry because you simply cannot reason with such people. You can lay out facts, point to personal contacts that disprove what they believe, appeal to their morality and anything else you can think of and they just metaphorically stick their fingers in their ears and scream not listening. My most frustrating issue is how to maintain a functioning relationship with such people when I must and not lose my mind in the process.
Trump is so not the problem here. The multitudes of people who support a person like him and the horrifying messages he espouses are.

4 Likes

Just as FOX (faux noise) never aired any of the violence at candidate Trump’s rallys while FOX contrived violent activity reports at Democratic Party events where no violence occurred, I am sure FOX viewers will never hear about the BBC reporter attack.

1 Like