Home | About | Donate

Beating the War Drums... Again

Beating the War Drums... Again

Danny Sjursen

“Everywhere you look, if there is trouble in the region,” Secretary of Defense James Mattis told reporters on a mid-April visit to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, “you find Iran.”

I must admit that when I stumbled across that quote it brought up uncomfortable personal memories.

Thank you for this Danny. Exceptional that you can embrace the bigger picture even after seeing your comrades destroyed by Iranian supplied ingenuity. That more Iranians are not thoroughly and forever hostile to Americans and American actions is a real head scratcher to me though, considering all of the wrongs visited on them by the US. Unmentioned here (the arming with? and) US tactical assistance in the use of chemical weapons by Iraq against Iran.

Maybe the passage about the Kurds is a little too glib, as that ethnic group poses a political conundrum to Iraq, Syria, and Iran, as well as Turkey, and even if the jihad were to evaporate, that dilemma would remain. Another legacy of the west dictating the chessboard in the ME.

Thanks again - clear and level-headed advocacy.

Swap in "US-supplied/paid-for/built matériel/dictator/poverty/death" in that sentence, and begin to understand how most of the world sees the US's ruling class.

It would be interesting to see Maj. Sjursen take a serious look at the role of the privatized (all volunteer) U.S. military and its relationship to neolib/neocon global capitalism. The horrors that he directly experienced are primarily the result of U.S. imperialism. Both members of the U.S. military and citizens and residents of this nation must admit to that reality if we are to have any useful national discussion about who and what we are as a nation. Otherwise, we will simply be left with the obscenity of guilt and chest-beating that we experienced yesterday. Every day is Memorial Day when you impose permanent war against the biosphere.

Beating the War Drums, again?

Sure.

I read, or heard, recently that Psychopaths never forgive their Victims.

"Even today we raise our hand against our brother...We have perfected our weapons, our conscience has fallen asleep, and we have sharpened our ideas to justify ourselves as if it were normal we continue to sow destruction, pain, death. Violence and war lead only to death."~Pope Francis

On November 8th, 2016, 137 million American voters supported two candidates of the Duopoly that for decades have engaged in endless wars, regime change, massive sales of weapons to countries who have used them to kill and maim innocent men, women, and children.

When, will these voters start to beat the...

No More War Drums?

and take the power away from those who would profit from Death.

As long as Iran supports Hamas and Hezbollah, AIPAC and its neocons tools will fight to destroy anyone who would seek to end the false labeling and maligning of Iran.

Major Sjursen, thank you for an excellent, comprehensive, sane, fact-based exposition of how everything our country believes about Iran is, in fact, wrong.

I wish you could make this case on all the Sunday morning talk shows. I realize that that would put you in hot water, though. It takes a lot of courage even to come on this site and puncture the sacred balloons of Groupthink which dominate our very strange foreign policy. I applaud your courage and honesty.

When indeed? When indeed, old hoss?
;-})

When indeed is the question.

My guess is, when a major conflict is manufactured and recognized as such by a majority of Americans, supported in Congress by the Duopoly, our troops are deployed to some God forsaken part of the world, and, the body bags start coming back.

And keep coming back.

I truly hope that I am wrong.

Forgive me for even considering that as a possibility.

I am so thoroughly disgusted with our country's government and those Americans who keep voting to support it.

Is Evil this hard to recognize and stop supporting?

Unfortunately, while the educational "system" in this century teaches a lot of basic mechanical skills and basic financial mathematics, it pretty much ignores history, ethics, philosophy, the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, or the writings of the founders of this country, who wrote extensively on the dangers of allowing the banks to get more powerful, as they might wind up owning the government and country for their own profit and power.
* And so it has come to pass.
* Sigh.
;-})

Our country is now geared to an arms economy bred in an artificially induced psychosis of war hysteria and an incessant propaganda of fear. Douglas MacArthur

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken