Home | About | Donate

'Because Insects Are Key to Our Own Survival,' 73 Scientists Unveil Global Roadmap to Battle Bugpocalypse

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/01/06/because-insects-are-key-our-own-survival-73-scientists-unveil-global-roadmap-battle

2 Likes

Where have all the fireflies gone?
Long time passing
Long time ago
We’ve poisoned them every one
When will we ever learn?
When will we ever learn?

12 Likes

It’s a very simple road map after all: just make all of us humans stop everything we’re doing!

2 Likes

We are already on a chemical diet plus a steady diet of plastic desserts.
While this sounds like the first step and it is already being practiced a a few outliers here and there, it is hardly enough.
It is not enough without STOPPING WARS and the production of weapons. It is not enough without converting
to greener power source. Fat chance when every rich country makes weapon manufacturing their main source of income in addition to OIL

7 Likes

Henk Tennekes, a Dutch toxicologist wrote a nicely illustrated pamphlet in 2010, “The Coming Disaster”. In it he explained the biological action of neonicotinoids and why they were allowed because they are “safe”. Neonics are patented version of nicotine that plants developed to keep from being eaten completely by insects and snails. They are “safe” for vertebrates because they have livers that can clear the nicotine else one cigarette would result in eventual death. Invertebrates do not have livers. Minute quantities will eventually kill. It does not even need to be sprayed. The seeds are soaked in the neonic and all parts of the plant carry it. It is water soluble and persisten for 18 years so affects aquatic life. The result is less food for birds and fish and a decline in those populations too. It also kills earthworms so actually reduces soil fertility. But that is only one barrel of the shotgun pointed at insects.
They are also hit with a blast from cell phone radiation. EMFs disrupt insects ability to repair. There are places where neonics are used but there are no cell signals and the bees and other insects survive.
I worry not much because after industrial agriculture collapses and cell phones go the way of the telegraph insects and birds will recover rapidly.
I live where there is no cell signal and little pesticide use. The kaleidescope of butterflies and other insects here is stupedous. They have a short life cycle so once the EMFs and pesticides are gone every niche will be rapidly filled to capacity and the insect eaters will thrive as well.

8 Likes

Ok, that was good. And sad because it’s true.

We don’t have to stop living, just live smarter. There are many alternatives to how we farm, get our energy, and our wasteful ways.

3 Likes

I have to agree that the use of pesticides has a very negative impact on insect populations. As I have written before we had to work very hard to have the mosquito spraying in my neighborhood stopped. After we stopped the mosquito spraying in my neighborhood. The butterflies, and dragonflies rebounded and even the lizards came back. Bees were plentiful. The pesticide industry is just an arm of the fossil fuel industry which brings us global warming. Pesticides have been shown to have negative impacts on human health as well. We try to garden with native plants, and that seems to help as well. I have some solar panels as well. Just trying to do my part. LOL

8 Likes

“…because insects are key to our own survival, and we ignore their decline at our peril”

It’s true and it this kind of thinking is what it takes to get this situation taken care of, then OK. But really, insects are not simply there because and for us and the sooner we understand this and move away from that kind of thinking that says ‘unless there’s something in it for me, I don’t care,’ the better.

Not a single flower blooms for humans,
nor bird that flies.
They exist in their own right
and have the right to exist,
not derivative, but original.
Why don’t we get this???

7 Likes

You gotta admit that there are way too many of us to have a healthy ecology. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to find that there are more humans on the planet than rats.

Overpopulation and Climate Change: A Seat at the Table

1 Like

Because when it all gets boiled down we are just animals with many of the same drives as every other animal on this planet?

2 Likes

Why didn’t the scientists address the ultimate cause of environmental degradation and not just proximate causes? The human population is adding a billion people every decade or so. The consequences of that increase spill out into all nature. We need to reduce population growth by educating women and enlarging their life goals, providing birth control everywhere, and by getting rid of incentives for having more children.

3 Likes

I love the honeybees and I am saddened by the neocontinoids and other pesticides that are used that hurt them. I am even angered by the rude pest control person that my apartment insists on bringing around every 3 months. The pesticide that is used makes me sick and the last apartment used something that they unashamedly labeled as a carcinogen. I have lost 2 of my 5 siblings to cancer and the third one has cancer… so carcinogenic is enough to push my buttons. I love the fireflies in summer and I haven’t seen them in awhile. Nor do I see too many bees. What I do see is a preponderance of stinkbugs. They eat my plants and the birds will not eat them. I also see a few roaches and they can survive just about anything and the other pest are whiteflies… what can we use that destroys them without killing bees?

1 Like

I think you answered your own question. War needs human fodder… expendable youth to die for the insanity of endless profit, power grabs, and world dominance. Insects are just collateral damage in this case.

For about 20+ years, for varying amounts of time during the week, but no less than 4 days per week, my residence during evening hours was whatever motel was clean, cheap and within a short drive to whatever construction site I was assigned to. Now, many years later, I’ve been diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer. There were many chemicals or processes I could have been exposed to on any of these sites that could be a contributing factor, but often air circulation was much better than the air conditioned motel room, totally enclosed during occupancy. Always, the motel rooms were devoid of insects, not even a fly or mosquito, giving one the thought that pest control was common, though I don’t ever recall unusual chemical odors in the rooms.

1 Like

Well actually rats are one of the most successful species. And they breed faster than us. So it is more likely that they out number us. For example, china is thought to have 2 billion rats, with under 1 & 1/2 billion people.
But rats have many enemies to keep the number down. Humans have none to keep our population in check. And we are far more destructive than rats are. And as our numbers grow, the more destruction we spread.
We actually have the ability to feed and take care of 7 billion if we used resources wisely. But we don’t use our resources wisely. There is so much waste in our habits that could be eliminated and stop the destruction of so many habitats. The US is the leader of waste, we have 5% of the world’s population and use 25% of the world’s resources. If everyone elsewhere used like the US does (and they are catching up), then there is no way to stop the environmental destruction that humans are inflicting on the world.
I stopped being an optimist long ago, everything points to a collapse of the environment and the human race (which may be the only saving grace for the rest of the life on earth.).
Given my age, I might not live long enough to see the death throes. I have been warning people for decades about the cliff they are heading for. And not only did we not try to stop, we sped up. It’s like we have a death wish.
Some life will survive us and in millions of yrs, the world will be repopulated with life. If any intelligent life comes forth, hopefully it will be smarter and wiser than us.

1 Like

They still exist, in Ontario.

Are we going to keep driving to the office every morning to collect a paycheck as whole countries go up in flames, as cities are abandoned and swallowed beneath the waves, as famine and disease spreads through our own countryside? Will people really just go on shopping? Will children keep doing their homework, or even go to school?

Greta already knows. Fridays are only the beginning. School is in. Mother Earth is teaching a hard lesson. We will lose our dreams, and all the things we have. Our distractions will disappear. Everything we’ve known will be meaningless.

When we’ve lost it all, and stripped of our illusions - that’s when we stop. That’s when we are ready to listen.

4 Likes

Exactly. And nothing that we haven’t all been talking about for years!

1 Like