Home | About | Donate

Because 'Solidarity Is Key,' Labor Leaders Amplify Call for Peoples Climate March

Because 'Solidarity Is Key,' Labor Leaders Amplify Call for Peoples Climate March

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Days before the Peoples Climate March, a number of labor leaders are helping to amplify the mobilization, joining the chorus demanding an "economic policy that works for working people and the planet."

Among those releasing a statement on Wednesday is Mary Kay Henry, international president of Service Employees International Union (SEIU), who called for holding "corporate polluters" accountable.

Awesome- it's about time all got together.

I will be so happy if this march produces even a small amount of the unity that the article mentions. If it starts to bring scattered constituencies together, then it might signal the beginning of wider-scale organizing.

It was particularly good to see several mentions of people of color and their concerns. (And a tribute, via the most sincere form of flattery: The first place I encountered the word "intersectionality" in a sociopolitical context was in African American Queer Radical Feminist writing.)

Hadn't seen the word "solidarity" in a while, either.

I think this is going to be good...

This is slightly off-topic, in that it's not about this coming weekend's March for Climate, Jobs, and Justice, per se. But it's mostly on-topic because it's about the same themes: people coming together in solidarity, "taking it to the streets," and offering positive responses against the miserable failure that is the Trump agenda.

Sarah Jaffe has been doing a series of podcasts at The Baffler called "Interviews for Resistance." Her most recent one, called Against Fear, is with Alejandra Valles, who is with the Caravan Against Fear that's travelling through CA, AZ, NM, and TX, advocating for immigrant and workers rights.

It's really worthwhile, IMHO. Ms. Valles is a delight to listen to, and she ties all the efforts like the Caravan Against Fear, and the March for Climate, Jobs, and Justice, together when she says:

My old union brothers and sisters with the CWA make me proud. Thanks.

I support unions--have been a member, worked in the front office--but the union workers who drill, frack, mine coal, lay pipelines and drive trucks care more about their paychecks than climate change.

In the meantime, all of the workers above are slowly but surely being replaced by technology, so they'll cling ever more tightly to what they have.

Thus, I point to bullet point 5 from the article: The best approach these unions can take is to join environmentalists in calling for a faster shift to renewables and an energy grid that supports them. That's the future, that's where the jobs are.