Home | About | Donate

Because 'This Hell Is Not a Thing of the Past,' Hiroshima Makes Plea for Nuclear Weapons-Free World

Because 'This Hell Is Not a Thing of the Past,' Hiroshima Makes Plea for Nuclear Weapons-Free World

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Amidst increased tensions between the U.S. and world powers including North Korea, the city of Hiroshima, Japan on Sunday marked the 72nd anniversary of the U.S. dropping of the atomic bomb with a call to rid the world of "the absolute evil that is nuclear weapons."

Obama’s “modernization” of nuke warheads was larger than any president in history. Give him another Nobel for Science.

That is, in the end, the point. This was a crime of enormous magnitude committed by the USA for the many who perished both instantly and soon after in Japan. But, it is an ongoing crime against the rest of the world population also since we all live under the cloud of nuclear winter. It’s what defines the ‘modern’ age.

Stand with the Japanese people and demand a new era, a post nuclear age. Every country that stubbornly refuses to eradicate their nuclear weapons and WMDs needs to be isolated and move the UN out of the USA and not in any other country that has such weapons.

A simple plea from Japan for sanity, enlightenment …

Unfortunately, we have truly insane people running our government and MIC.

And during that time, also a continuing and huge investment in searching for mini-nukes –
that is “more readily usable nuclear weapons.”

HIROSHIMA
I am the Reverend Kiyoshi Tanimoto
A graduate of Emory College, Atlanta,
Pastor of the Methodist Church of Hiroshima
I was in a western suburb when the bomb struck
Like a sheet of sunlight.

Fearing for my wife and family
I ran back into the city
Where I saw hundreds and hundreds fleeing
Every one of them hurt in some way.
The eyebrows of some were burned off
Skin hung from their faces and hands
Some were vomiting as they walked
On some naked bodies the burns had made patterns
Of the shapes of flowers transferred
From their kimonos to human skin.

Almost all had their heads bowed
Looked straight ahead, were silent
And showed no expression whatever.
Under many houses I heard trapped people screaming
Crying for help but there were none to help
And the fire was coming.

I came to a young woman holding her dead baby
Who pleaded with me to find her husband
So he could see the baby one last time.
There was nothing I could do but humor her.

By accident I ran into my own wife
Both she and our child were alive and well.

For days I carried water and food to the wounded and the dying.
I apologized to them: “Forgive me,” I said, “for not sharing your burden.”

I am the Reverend Kiyoshi Tanimoto
Pastor of the Methodist Church of Hiroshima
I was in a western suburb when the bomb struck
Like a sheet of sunlight.
–Sherwood Ross

Very much agree that it was a crime and many seem to have tried to stop it, including military officials like Ike.
There was no need for it except to advertise that the US had a new weapon which would allow them to bully
the world.

And also very much agree that it is an “ongoing crime against all of us” – all humanity.

We really need a greater understanding of the mortal threat this is to all of us - to all humanity.

Tragically what we say is true. We need a miracle.

Exactly. It announced in the most brutal way that the U.S. empire now had the power and would execute slaughter against all who opposed it. This was the start of WW3, even before WW2 ended.

True and a definite warning to the USSR.

This is for the Hollow Men who run the US Empire:

Yes indeed.

Thank You. I doubt you can educate or civilize me, but I enjoyed this immensely. At least I don’t run this effen empire. Just try to do my job and grow a garden. Is it like this in Death’s Other Kingdom? Here we go round the prickly pair…not with a bang, but a whimper…

And that is good and creative…

Just call me T.S. Johnson, or maybe e.e. johnson. Back to work.

The rest of the world should impose sanctions against us and the other countries who chose to boycott this agreement!

And an unnecessary and counter-productive one it was, for it guaranteed that the Russians, already paranoid over their near defeat by the Nazis, would feel it absolutely critical to their existence to develop their own nuclear weapons, Thus began the cycle of madness that continues to this day.

Magnificent! Thank you! Eliot and so many other poets, writers, and artists produced so much of the greatest antiwar poetry, prose, and art in the years following the Great War, having experienced it first-hand. It is exactly a century ago that much of Europe and the Middle East were changed forever by the death, devastation, and aftereffects of that war. In this country we are not hearing or seeing much of that history during the Centennial of that event, and that’s a shame. To paraphrase Santayana, those who do not learn from history, are doomed to repeat it.