Home | About | Donate

Bees in Peril as First Species Added to Endangered Species List

Bees in Peril as First Species Added to Endangered Species List

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Marking a troubling development in the crisis of pollinator decline, the first species of bees were added to the Endangered Species List.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) announced the determined status on Friday for seven types of yellow-faced bees found in the Hawaiian islands.

Common Dreams: Bees in Peril as First Species Added to Endangered Species List

That is absolutely tragic, very sad.

Both Trump and Hillary are terrible candidates and Gary Johnson is not much better. -- expect more of the same destructiveness to the environment and life if either one of them becomes POTUS.

Hillary Clinton’s Support for GMOs Confirmed by Gates Foundation.-- Article published Feb 6 2016.

I support Jill Stein. Respect for the environment and all of life.

As organic growers and bee keepers, we support Xerces and applaud their hard work.

If you love the resplendent natural world, you know that these bees are just the tip of a melting iceberg. I look around here in rural Missouri and see the fields filled with GMO corn and soy, the roadsides sprayed or cut and I shudder to think what a mean and shrinking world it is out there for birds, butterflies and bees. And for many many many other living beings.

As Monsanto and Bayer say I thee wed, it's up to all of us to make sure that their way of pesticides and herbicides, seed corruption and death of our beautiful living world is thwarted at every turn by making a way for the natural world to thrive.

I'd grade this article a "bee." The Hawaiian bees described here aren't the commercially raised honey bees everyone is worried about on the mainland, which are an invasive species introduced from Europe. Butterflies, hummingbirds, and other beautiful creatures are also important pollinators. Big agriculture states like Hawaii use tons of insecticides and kill off a lot of their pollinators.

Thank you @lindaann --- Outstanding post, Xerces deserves a lot of attention. Great website, a worthy cause. My highest respect.

Yeah, "Reverend" Billy Talen and the Church of Stop Shopping have been chasing down Monsanto, maker of these bee-killing neonicotinoids and the gmo plants (seeds) that withstand the insecticide. Their former headquarters was in suburban St. Louis. He is now focused on the use of this toxic crap in and around his home, especially in New York City's parks.

He has a funny show every Thur 5-6pm WBAI 99.5

Our insane conviction that we humans are APART FROM Nature is likely to bring our species to the doors of extinction--doors that we humans have opened!

Thanks MIMIC_Buster! Great information.

man.... i could not watch the whole thing. Jill is awesome and that jerk interviewer is worse than a jerk. yuk.