Home | About | Donate

Behind Closed Doors, House GOP Vote Overwhelmingly to Eviscerate Ethics Watchdog

Behind Closed Doors, House GOP Vote Overwhelmingly to Eviscerate Ethics Watchdog

Jon Queally, staff writer

Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives didn't even wait for the new congressional session to begin before betraying President-elect Donald Trump's key promise "to drain the swamp" of political corruption.

"If the 115th Congress begins with rules amendments undermining OCE, it is setting itself up to be dogged by scandals and ethics issues for years and is returning the House to dark days when ethics violations were rampant and far too often tolerated." —Norman Eisen and Richard Painter, CREW

The sheer in your face open arrogance of this is breathtaking. A terrifying harbinger of what is to come......

It should be noted here that the OCE was established when the Democrats had control of the House.

Yes, and, btw, it continually surprises me that some folks do not understand that the average democrat is a relatively normal human , whereas today's average republican has contempt for the poor and worships power above all.

No holds barred for corruption with this new administration from day one

Agreed. And my post wasn't really to defend the Democrats, who I've got plenty of issues with. I think I'm just tired of hearing over and over that there are no differences between the parties when that's demonstrably untrue.

Republicans use their power, though. They're better at it and they have no shame. Just look at what they did in NC after the election. I think a lot of people don't understand that Republicans are fighting a war, and they're winning.

Given enough rope, these extremists will hang themselves. Gutting, exploiting, polluting, empowering greed and self-interest - doing everything to serve extreme wealth and screw the little guy & gal is not what got these cretins into power - they will overextend and be swept away.....if only there was a real opposition party and powerful voices of integrity to lead the charge.

Republicans are THE class warriors. For them, winning is the ONLY thing. Democrats have a broad agenda. Somehow, it seems, they manage to irritate or disappoint, probably because they are human.

How about asking for my permission before conducting any kind of investigation on my behaviors? "What a speeding ticket? Who gave you permission to measure the speed I was travelling?" The fox just appointed itself to guarding the henhouse. How corrupt.

It was actually Michael Moore, appearing on CNN who predicted that the republicans will convene the day after Trump's inauguration and flood Congress with it's agenda, which, in my opinion is to destroy the middle class into oblivion. Congress has decidedly decided that's too far into the future and got an early start.

No action coming out of the House will surprise anyone here and no one who watches or listens to the mainstream media will ever care or know as they wonder why or how they lost their government protections, civil liberties, constitutional protections, health insurance, or anything else that might have otherwise allowed them to prosper.

The republicans will probably blame the democrats and get away with it, because the democrats will let them!

"Republicans claim they want to 'drain the swamp,' but the night before the new Congress gets sworn in, the House GOP has eliminated the only independent ethics oversight of their actions," Democratic Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California said in a statement after word of the vote broke Monday night. "Evidently, ethics are the first casualty of the new Republican Congress."

Ethics were already a casualty. The primaries proved that. Running a candidate under 2 Federal investigations, both of which have been swept under the rug proves that. The majority of our politicians bought off by corporations proves that.
It's actually a good thing that the facade is now a casualty.

Stripping away the political posturing from all quarters, the House has become, officially, a rogue body. Its 'deliberations' only represent its own interests and its members represent 'The Community of the House' and no one else. They are a lawless body empowered to make law; this has happened over and over in history and never to a good end.

Huh? I was under the impression that if only one party votes on a regulation, there's no quorum and the vote is meaningless. Can anyone clarify this?

Thanks DNC for blowing it!

That is a false dichotomy. The contempt runs through both party's elites. The sheeple need to wake up.

According to Ralph Nader and other traditionally left-leaning pundits desperate to seem "fair", we should hear a real outcry from grassroots conservatives and Tea Party types over actions like this, because--according to Nader, even Chomsky--we all want the same things, we only disagree with the methods. Where is it?

They must have killed that in an earlier vote.

When was the last time the 'ethics watchdog' actually stopped our elected terrorists from gutting the constitution? The reason we are where we are right now is b/c both parties have compromised all our ethics -- while I was reading this article I was trying to remember the last time this watchdog group actually stopped one of our elected wh0res from compromising anyone's 'ethics'!

Your kinda thick, ehh? Now the republicans are free to go back to the good ol' Tom DeLay days (or worse).

Okay, so you as a voter want a political option that isn’t controlled by the banks, other corporations, the rich. You want someone that will go in a radically different direction, changing the trajectory that Reagan set us on. You want single payer, or something approaching that. You want someone that doesn’t put in place “trade deals” that enrich corporations and harm workers and the environment, among other things. Where exactly in this system do you then turn to? Both parties have moved to the right, see any evidence the Democrats have learned any lessons from this election yet(?), and look at the actual data on the policies they’ve supported in recent decades. The problem isn’t that the public disagrees with the left on the issues, the left’s policy positions are popular. The problem is that those policies aren’t an option within our political system and there’s nowhere to turn. The Democrats will do some decent things, but they’ve also supported policies in recent decades that have harmed working people and the poor. Most of the good they do is more than outweighed by the bad and most of the good they do is the Democrats defending programs their party implemented a generation or two ago. The Republicans are going to be an epic disaster and it wouldn’t surprise me if they were wiped out in 2018. However, who is in charge in the Senate and the House on the Democratic side? Who runs the DNC, not just the head of the DNC, the entirety of the leadership? If they are elected in 2018, do they offer radical changes (since our problems are clearly not solved by superficial changes)? Nope, so round and round we go. I don’t blame working people for not being able to make sense of this situation and I don’t blame them in their inability in finding an easy fix, since one doesn’t seem to exist. I also think the Democrats have a few years to save their party or people are going to go in a new direction. The Republicans would never have this much power if we had a halfway decent opposition party.