Home | About | Donate

Bernie Sanders: As World Faces Climate Crisis, 95% of EPA Workers Furloughed During Trump Shutdown—'How Insane Is That?'

Bernie Sanders: As World Faces Climate Crisis, 95% of EPA Workers Furloughed During Trump Shutdown—'How Insane Is That?'

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

Bundled up in a winter coat, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) stood outside the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) headquarters in Washington, D.C. to raise alarm that the arm of the government "that should be leading the effort in this country and around the world to combat climate change" is barely operating due to President Donald Trump's temper tantrum over border wall funding.

And you know? Up until the shutdown, I was just so certain the EPA was going to solve climate change. NOW who’s going to fix it for me?

3 Likes

I have no idea whom the EPA works for under Trump. Trump?The public? Itself? Some outside money interest?

1 Like

The EPA does a lot more than just help combat climate change. It does a lot of oversight and clean up work vital to our health. All those drinking water sources and soil etc and polluted sites dont just get clean because of the goodness and generosity of corporate polluters. They are being cleaned because of the EPA. This shutdown is about far more than furloughed federal workers. This is our country and for all intent and purposes the only thing we got running right now is the MILITARY. THAT has been funded. That is no coincide folks. Dont take this sitting down. This is your government, it owes you. You dont owe your government nothing. Call your reps and demand they open it up.

2 Likes

These people are sadists. Causing pain is the whole point! The only time this shutdown ends is when millionaire donors call it in because they are feeling the pressure or not getting what they need. The only people McConnell or anyone in Congress (that cinludes Democrats) will listen to, whose calls they will take (unlike us who get to talk to volunteer staffers or get voicemails when we call our reps) are the robber barons and banksters and donor class. That’s who they listen to. Telling them about the suffering of people, be it Federal employees or those who are at risk of losing SNAP benefits, or warning about environmental degradation and pollution - that sort of stuff wont change the minds of the sociopaths running this Congress. If they cared, the idea of a shutdown as a negotiation tactic would never have occurred to them in the first place.

2 Likes

An idea to end the shut down:
The dems take the next offer by the president to meet, at which time the dems tell Trump that they no longer blame him for the shutdown. They realize it was Limbaugh and Hannity that are the ones responsible. When Trump tries to insist it is his shutdown the dems insist that, no, it is Limbaugh and Hannity and that no blame will be levied at Trump.
I believe Trump’s ego will not let someone else have his glory and will make a move of some kind.
You have to treat this man-boy like a boy. Challenge his narcissistic ego.

2 Likes

Definitely need to try something different. Not just a male ego thing. The whole political system moves on the blame game.

2 Likes

Question: After they return, do the federal employees get back pay for the time that they were not allowed to work? Seems like a job should guarantee pay.
I’m thinking the salaries will come but the hourly wages will not.

1 Like

I heard that the direct employees will get their pay but the private contractors may not.

1 Like

Yup, the federal workers will get their back pay, and the unnecessary extra accounting is just one of the costs of a shutdown. If they drew unemployment during the shutdown they will have to pay it back.
This shutdown is like a marital argument. Both insist they are right. Then they don’t speak to each other for a period. And finally have make-up sex. Then the next shutdown repeats itself. Insanity?

1 Like

Of course, but as long as people think it’s normal it will go on. Hey, did you hear that Suzie Ormond said that we need at least five million for retirement? Well, I can scratch that one!

I would have said it does very little to combat climate change but is quite crucial in the other role you mention (crucial as in necessary - their actual performance has been spotty - e.g. see the poison papers story). They do however advertise a role (https://www.epa.gov/climate-research). I’m not sure the shutdown’s effect on EPA is the biggest issue with not moving forward with solutions on climate change. Congress and the president are the main obstacles. Primary the worthless ones (which is most of them).

1 Like

That must be for people living to three or four hundred years. Nobody should eat only caviar, prime rib, and lobster, on their big boat on their private lake.
Of course we all get by one way or another without millions in the bank. What a foolish woman, and who is she speaking to?

1 Like

She has written books, has a financial advisor business, and sometimes is on PBS. Yes, that does sound pretty foolish. Incidently, she I think has an apt in NYC, and a pad in FL , and “proudly” supports her mom, and her partner. I am not a fan, but just saw the article. No wonder people in the US are so fearful, and never take a day off of work.

Or their private piece of Ocean Beach!

Yeah, I’ve watched Suzie a few times and it’s always a short visit because she is too preachy for me to stomach. If I wanted that I would just watch clips of W Bush speaking.

1 Like

Here’s one for you. When a lawyer wrote a will for us he was angry that we did not have close to tem million in the bank- what a nut!

I know what you mean- the old finger in the face. Hey, did you hear about the social worker who just died and left over eleven million to charity? Well, that is nice, but as it turned out he never went anywhere, never had a new car, new pair of shoes ( even duck taped his old ones), and lived beyond frugally. Gee, Suzie would be proud!!! Oh, he also apparently never married or had kids.

I remember when I first got married and then had our first of our two sons. Insurance from my new job wouldn’t help with the hospital and delivery. Preexisting condition.
We were so poor that we were the last people in our age group that had to use cloth diapers. Our first clothes washer was a mini kenmore.
Iwear my shoes for as many years as they last. Got about five years on my present Vibram walking shoes.
Our vehicles are a 93 Voyager SE, and a 98 Saab 900S 4dr hatchback. Never owned a new car.
My pension went into an annuity which pays for my health, life, and dental insurance with about a hundred dollars a month going into the checking account.

1 Like

I think that is great, and hopefully your pension pays the rent/taxes, food, electric, etc. I know it’s tough. I think the social worker story stood out because the guy died with having over eleven million in the bank plus a pension- no partner, no kids , just lived very minimally and managed to stuff that away. He hardly spent anything ( only basic needs) and left most of his money to charity. I was being sarcastic when I said that Suzie would be proud.