Home | About | Donate

Bernie Sanders’ Manhattan Project: The Game-Changing Green New Deal

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/23/bernie-sanders-manhattan-project-game-changing-green-new-deal

2 Likes

If Bernie is not the nominee, can we get together and write his name on the ballots?

1 Like

Excellent analysis as usual. The one green-energy-generation potential source not mentioned and that is not intermittent is Tidal. Ocean (tidal and wave) and rivers, both “one-way” and tidal like the Hudson River, can provide 24/7 power generation to supplement wind, solar and Dam created hydro.
The Green New Dealis essential it seems to me, and whatever it takes must be accomplished - a sticking point is whose ox is gored. The “old-money” of coal, nuclear, fossil fuel will fight with everything and crony politicians and bankers they have in their pockets (like big-pharma, big-Ag, and health insurance industry have politicians in theirs) against the sea-change reform critical to the existential crises, threats, facing the planet - Mother Earth, Gaia.

4 Likes

Bernie offers so much; Biden offers “My pal Obama” and Biden leads in the polls. Are americans stoopid enough yet or is there still room for loss of critical-thinking?!

5 Likes

As you can see. Critical Thinking is hard. MURICA<<<<critical thinking is all but gone.

1 Like

BERNIE SANDERS for a Cleaner Planet and a More Egalitarian Society.

2 Likes

Who among us will write a powerful, engaging petition enrolling millions of us to write in BERNIE?
I REFUSE TO LET the corrupt dnc steal from him/US a second time
I am sick unto death their promotion of the disastrous Biden; the former-Republican-Hillary-supporter-and BERNIE-imitator Warren !!! BERNIE-TULSI DREAM TEAM TICKET

1 Like

Tidal is “centralized” power. Solar is “decentralized” via rooftop ‘matched’ to EVs in the home or apartment garage. Neighborhood PV arrays form ‘mini-grids’ which may tie into regional utility grids in complementary fashion without adding ‘centralized’ power sources plus transmission lines of any kind, all of which are vulnerable to grid failure. Here’ s the key to any GND: Plug-in hybrid PHEVs offer more potential to reduce fuel/energy consumption than all battery BEVs. It’s true, counter-intintuitively so, but true. High speed rail is also more possible immediately with hybrid locomotives rather than all-electric 200mph impossibly expensive infrastructure with terrible impacts to urban settings.

1 Like

Another way to look at is that GDP has grown at 4.2% compounded over the last 20 years even with the “great recession” in the middle of that period. (not inflation adjusted which is the proper number to look at here). If the current $20 trillion GDP grows at only that 4.2% compounded rate over the next 15 years (and I’m sure it would grow much faster with all of Bernie’s proposals in place…more in the hands of those who don’t hoard it) then cumulative GDP over the next 15 years will be $428 trillion.

$16 trillion is only 3.7% of $428 trillion. Last year’s total tax revenue (federal, state, and local) was 27.1%, so adding 3.7% to that would move it up to 30.8% which is still way below the 35% average of all the OECD countries.

p.s. GDP grew at 10.4% compounded annually from 1933 to 1948,

The very beginning of Sanders’ statement:

Climate change is a global emergency. The Amazon rainforest is burning, Greenland’s ice shelf is melting, and the Arctic is on fire.

Oh well, I would be more encouraged if such a prominent statement better reflected a genuine interest by anyone on Sanders’ staff. Someone should have corrected “Greenland’s ice shelf” to “Greenland’s ice sheet.” It’s just cryospheric arcana nobody will notice, but it’s a stupid mistake which doesn’t belong there. An ice-shelf originates over land, but floats over the sea. Compared to Antarctica, Greenland only has piddling little ice-shelves here and there – not much. Nobody clued-in is focused on worrying about ice-shelves around Greenland, it’s Greenland’s massive ice-sheet where melting-concern is appropriately focused. No biggie, for sure. I find the flub meaningful, and I’m probably not alone in that.

1 Like

Thirty-Four TRILLION Dollars, “at the very least,” and how many lives??   (Not that lives matter – except their own, of course – to members of the Duopoly and its Multi-NaZional Korporate bosses.)

Unfortunately, in most cases, No.  SFAIK, most states require that write-in candidates have established some kind of status prior to the election — otherwise votes for write-ins are simply discarded or ignored.

1 Like

To lose something you needed to have had it in the first place.

1 Like

That’s what a lot of people did last time, I would not doubt that it happens in even greater numbers this time if we get another case of DNC Just-Us.

1 Like

The oligarchy has all the bases covered.