Home | About | Donate

Bernie Sanders Proposes To Boost Worker-Ownership Of Companies

Bernie Sanders Proposes To Boost Worker-Ownership Of Companies

Dave Johnson

Businesses are run for a profit that goes into the pockets of the business’ “investors.” To be an investor requires that you have money. This is a rigged system that by definition channels the returns and gains of our economy to the people who have money in the first place.

"This squeezing of the business involves squeezing the workers, squeezing the product, squeezing the customers and squeezing the government out of any taxes that might be owed."

One other key facet is missing from this observation: that the land--Mother Earth--and all of Her assets are also strip-mined, stolen, and squeezed away.

A very good example of this type of ownership structure that has been extremely successful is the U.K. headquartered Scott Bader Company. From their website:

"The people that work at Scott Bader can become Members of The Commonwealth and as such become trustees-in-common of the company assets. Each generation must ensure the ongoing success of the organisation so that future generations can benefit from its continued existence.

We have a self-governing structure which provides significant additional dimensions to business and employment relationships and our interaction with the wider community:

As Scott Bader cannot be taken over, we can bring long-term stability and partnership to all business relationships. As trustees-in-common, employees have the responsibility of ownership which creates greater commitment and engagement to ensure ongoing success, and drives active involvement."

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

How do you make the greed heads share the concentrating wealth and power incompatible with democracy?

Do you tax them? (They make the tax laws)

Do you have Congressional investigations for their financial crimes? (They own the place)

Do you prosecute them? (They are too big to fail)

Or do you vote for people who won't sell out and will do all of the above?

Another reason to support Sanders in the primary; thanks for sharing the news!

One note of caution about Mondragon: as much as I am a fan of the co-op concept, at some point it can get corrupted (like many other things in life, I guess). It is my understanding that some of the Mondragon cooperatives, especially those doing business outside Spain, have a two-tiered system where the original working members enjoy the benefits of ownership but the newest, and often overseas employees, don't get to be owners but instead are regular employees. In some cases, these new employees get to join the co-op after a few years, but the precedent of having two tiers has already been established, and once you tolerate two tiers, you can guess what can happen over time.

This is not to suggest that worker-owned co-ops are not a good idea, but that eternal vigilance is essential, even in the relatively benign setting of worker co-ops.

What if a transfer of ownership from investors to employees was a part of every "incorporation"? Incorporation is a process by which the state gives all sorts of advantages and protection to businesses. It seems clear that an agreement to transfer ownership from the original outside investors(stockholders) to the employees over a period of years should always be a requirement for obtaining these protections.

In a small town nearby there are two big stores next to each other: Winco (a privately held, majority employee-owned American supermarket chain) and WalMart, destroyer of communities.

I shop at Winco.

Walmart is just evil.

Now we are getting down to business-I hope Senator Sanders has a way to address this-I can see the media using this against him-and this is something the corporate masters do not even want brought up. What a great way to help broken communities. A co-op bank,a co-op food store(a real one) and hopefully a well funded community health center

it sounds like a no brainer to me, but i'm old and foolish thinking that there will ever be consideration of social costs associated in the pursuit of private corporate profits that demand public representation in corporate governance.
how about a 40% tax, even if only once, on all that idle cash in offshore accounts? how about giving it to the 40 million of our poorest citizens who have little alternative to spending it to increase economic activity? it seems the rich don't need it if they don't spend it or invest it and after they give it away it will always trickle (flood) back up to them.