Home | About | Donate

Bernie Sanders' "Raise the Wage Act" Would Make Life Better for 40 Million Americans: Analysis

Bernie Sanders' "Raise the Wage Act" Would Make Life Better for 40 Million Americans: Analysis

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

By increasing the federal minimum wage over the next five years, the Raise the Wage Act of 2019 would boost the incomes and improve the lives of an estimated 40 million Americans, according to an analysis out Tuesday from the Economic Policy Institute (EPI).

2 Likes

There is a lot of talk about what this money would buy. What it would do for the economy and how it would lift people out of poverty. Nothing is said about restoring the dignity to someone’s life. The uplift in spirit is what matters more and you cannot put a price on that, now can you?

1 Like

$15.00 an hour will not buy much in 2024. It doesn’t buy much now. This is also what is paid to people hourly—so that if someone makes too much more p/t workers are added/

But the silliest thing is that when people don’t have a minimum wage that’s livable, restaurants suffer, dental offices suffer and so do all kinds of business that sell things from clothing to artwork to exercise. And then of course, even as prices are rising, so do the rents. When the workers can’t thrive, neither does the economy—and when that happens over too long a period of time----either the people explode in anger or the economy explodes when no one can buy-----anything. America becomes just like Greece and democracies die either way.: (

2 Likes

$15/hour barely covers costs today. In 5 years it will put people even further behind. We need $15/hour now, today. In 5 years it will need to be $18-20/hour for barely getting your bills paid–if even that given the inflation of utilities and food.

3 Likes

Any idea how much employers are going to raise prices on goods and services to make up for the in­creased expense of higher wages?  My guess is that employers will use higher wages as an excuse
to raise prices, and it’ll be more than just 21%.  This will also increase employers’ incentive to auto-
mate as many jobs as possible, and some people who are currently making $7.25 an hour will be making $0.00 instead.

As an old fart living on a fixed income, I have serious concerns about the inflation that is sure to result from the “Fight for Fifteen”, and surmise that the average worker’s purchasing power will DEcrease as
a result – not INcrease – by 2024 . . .

How do readers not see this is an improvement? This will lift wages and benefit 40 million workers.

Sure, the minimum wage should be $30 per hour, at least. I will love to see that. But I’ll take $15 per hour as a start.

1 Like

And they tell us we live in the richest country on Earth, and this is how we treat our people.

3 Likes

And constantly taking peanuts instead of fighting for better is why we’re in an oligarchy.

Bill, do you see the rich settling for peanuts?

Au contraire — workers’ productivity has increased tremendously in the past several years, but the resultant increase in profits has gone almost exclusively to the Fat Cats at the top of the increasingly monopolistic korporate pyramids.

HI os2wiz: , well the idea of a democratic republic was there in the Preamble. However, as in ancient Greece, the rich held most of the power, and women had very little. However, in war all men went, even Socrates. Solon had some good ideas, and actually as for voting , it would certainly be more fun yo vote by going outside and throwing pieces of amphora around with your vote choice . This would be better and more honest than those who sell their voting machines which can be so easily compromised. : )
I would not consider, Gates or Bloomberg or LOL, Bezos as representative of any kind of democracy. America has worked well at times depending on the leadership FDR worked some good things in -------but what happened to the Japanese was a travesty! Kennedy at least did not fall for the Dulles brothers idea of a Cuban/Soviet war. LBJ did some good things—but honestly ----since then we haven’t had much in the way of functional government. Hmm ," mindless pap," I guesss that would be for sure with Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama and now Trump. Well as Ben Franklin once said…'its a republic , if we can keep it…" And as to your conclusion… reread what I wrote… when the People cannot afford to live and all money goes to the top, there is no peace-----but all kinds of revolutions do pop up. Oh look…“Something wicked the way comes…” oh and it’s 3/4 of the current Congress. : 0