Home | About | Donate

Bernie Sanders Said America Is Not a Compassionate Country. The Numbers Say He's Right

Bernie Sanders Said America Is Not a Compassionate Country. The Numbers Say He's Right.

Jake Johnson

On Wednesday, Bernie Sanders had his chance to question Tom Price, President-elect Donald Trump's pick to head the Department of Health and Human Services.

Asked if he would work to ensure that every American is guaranteed healthcare as a right, Price responded vaguely that America is "a compassionate society."

Sanders interrupted without hesitation.

"No we are not a compassionate society," Sanders said, pointing to the rate of child poverty and to the fact that so many "older workers have nothing set aside for retirement."

If it wasn't for the DNC, Sanders might have been the one being inaugurated tomorrow. I find that hard to live with.

Sadly the next few years will likely destroy many lives and families - in addition to much else.

“A Nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but it's lowest ones” - Nelson Mandela

“the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped.” - Hubert Humphrey

"The measure of a society is found in how they treat their weakest and most helpless citizens." - Jimmy Carter

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” - Mahatma Gandhi

“The most extraordinary thing in the world is an ordinary man and an ordinary woman and their ordinary children.”
― G.K. Chesterton

And of course, for the "believers" among us in this "Christian nation," there is Jesus Christ in the Book of Matthew:

'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Our christians are not Christian. When our society has starving children why do some christians think that it is gods work to give a pastor a multi-million dollar luxury jet? Rand politics and religion-for-profit makes an evil brew.

Some 20 years into America's war on the poor, this is hardly a revelation. We know that not everyone is able to work (health, etc.) and that there aren't jobs for all. The US shut down/shipped out a huge number of jobs since the 1980s, ended actual welfare aid in the 1990s, and our more fortunate never looked back at the consequences. We find it acceptable that the overall life expectancy of America's poor has fallen below that of any developed nation. That's just the way it is. When was the last time you heard even liberals call for restoring the most basic human rights (UDHR) of food and shelter to our very poor?

Compassion isn't possible in a culture in which empathy has been rooted out.

When was the last time you heard liberals call for restoring basic poverty relief?

Either way, there is no connection between Christianity and our policies, whether international or domestic. For those who don't know, Christ called on people to work hard for peace, to aid the poor, to "welcome the stranger" from other lands. (He rather notoriously noted that it would be easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.) This country does the exact opposite of what Christ taught. Jesus said that His followers would be defined by their words and actions -- not by simply attaching a "Christian" button to their lapels.

The Preamble to the Constitution includes the phrase, "promote the general welfare". The founding fathers laid the foundation for being a compassionate nation. Their instincts were admirable. But being poor in this country is a blameable condition.

Those who have more and object to a living wage and health care benefits exploit the labor of people who have no leverage. We loftily tell them they should have gotten more education. That attitude excludes compassion and defies logic. There are millions of necessary jobs that don't require 'more education'. Thus, in our present world we consign the people doing those jobs to lives of poverty and all of the physical and mental suffering those individuals and families endure. We hear it so often that is part of our general culture. If you want to get out of poverty, get an education. Nevermind that school loans are a chief source of financial instability.. Get an education is merely a self-serving justification for not feeling guilty about allowing our fellow Americans to live in poverty.

And Rand Paul's sympathies are with the wealthy? They are the slaves if we ask them to be concerned about the lives of the people they exploit? I hope they don't identify themselves as Christians. One need not be religious to recognize that Jesus was calling for equity, respect, and compassion for all human beings. The Golden Rule? Not much in evidence.

Charity coerced at gunpoint (via the federal government) is not charity at all. I don't claim to be a Christian, but I don't think Christ was concerned with governments in your quote. I believe it was directed at individuals. I don't think any government will be called to account on judgement day, only individuals.

Maybe it isn't charity, but the alternative, starving children in the streets, isn't really an alternative if you ask me.