Home | About | Donate

Bernie Takes on Monsanto, Big Ag Monopolies With Plan to 'Revitalize' Rural America

Bernie Takes on Monsanto, Big Ag Monopolies With Plan to 'Revitalize' Rural America

Jake Johnson, staff writer

During a campaign stop in Iowa on Sunday, Bernie Sanders unveiled a sweeping set of policy proposals to break up agriculture monopolies through "Roosevelt-style trust-busting laws," reform patent laws to protect small farmers from companies like Monsanto, and pass national legislation to allow farmers to repair their own equipment.

1 Like

Bernie, Call it what it is, "Poison for Profit."

9 Likes

I wonder what “front-runner Biden” has to say about this. (Snark!)

7 Likes

Another EXCELLENT turn of phrase from you, PB!

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you, Bernie! (Also, please add a policy position: A price floor for farmers. If we wan’t a livable $15hr wage for workers, then we need a minimum wage for farmers too!!)

8 Likes

There is a common practice in this country built around debt that is called debt peonage. It’s a way to trap people in debt to gain control of them. It is how tenant farmers were/are oppressively controlled by land owners. And it is how Big Ag corporations keeps control over farmers.

Massive student debt is not unlike this kind of peonage.

Glad Sanders plan includes key provisions to break the hold corporations have on family farmers, freeing them up to be the solutions to our food and ag problems.created by the industrial system.

7 Likes

Even Mighty Bernie can not take on Monsanto or DuPont. Let’s get real. The people are getting screwed on all sides with GMO’s, Crop pesticide Spraying, Runoff going into our water supply, Carcinogens they pump into our air. It’s unbelievable to me that our elected leaders allow companies like these to stay in business because they receive money from them. No wonder so many people are sick and Big Pharma is Booming.

5 Likes

$369,000,000,000 (that is billions) in farm subsidies paid out over twenty years. 10% of recipients accounted for 77% of the money paid out… Big Ag does not farm the land, they farm the taxpayers.

13 Likes

Y’know, it sure seems like all of the “ambitious plans” seem to be unveiled only by wannabe Presidents and only during their campaigns. Now, why is that…?

3 Likes

Minimum??? They deserve a lot more than that.

My guess would be, “but in Delaware, we grow banks.”

5 Likes

Your the man Bernie, yu are the FDR of the 21st Century and we desperately need to all be behind Bernie and his plans for the future of a world where we all thrive.

I hadn’t decided for sure but now I am behind you, you are the only one who doesn’t have ties to industries and banksters and will/can get the job done.

2 Likes

This much is simple: Trump cannot out-populism Bernie.

2 Likes

If you knew anything about Bernie which you don’'t, he will fight for all of what he says but he needs you, me and all us to demand these changes. Not one man standing alone can make changes, we the people have to back him and that means mega millions of us from sea to shining sea.

Just think of all the corrupt politicans we can put to work digging in the dirt.

3 Likes

Easy - becuase since FDR we’ve never had another president with ambitious plans that the candidate was remotely serious about (unless you mean plans to destroy the country and then perhaps some qualilfy). Bernie would be the next one with abitious (in a good way) plans if we aren’t too stupid as a country to say yes to the right kind of change.

3 Likes

Good for you Bernie!
I live in central Illinois, rural flyover farm belt. I’m a retired teacher but we grow mushrooms on our 53 acres and talk to our friends, neighbors and relatives who increasingly talk negative about Trump and the Biden/Clinton/Pelosi people who support corporate ag and corporate war. Cancer is talked about in almost every conversation; most of the neighbors/farmers over 80 either have cancer or are dead from it. I think Roundup is losing its glow. Weather patterns are changing and scaring us: flooding, droughts, very high winds.
Don’t forget us out here Bernie like the other politicians have. Dig deeper into your ag policy; I think the people out here will look at your positions. If you can find a Henry Wallace we’ll really listen!

7 Likes

The headline here and article miss the most revolutionary part of the Sanders plan. And so, apparently, does Bernie Sanders. I refer to his 11th bulletpoint calling for living wage price floor programs (with supply management). It would end CAFO, junk food, export dumping etc. subsidies, (which are paid by farmers, not by taxpayers)! So it would hugely help bring livestock diversity and crop sustainability back to farms, reversing how Republicans take value added livestock away from farmers! No one is saying that. It wound end farm commodity subsidies, (as none have ever been needed with living wage market management programs). So in spite of Bernie’s claims, it does not reform subsidies with subsidy caps, because there would be no subsidies. Instead it should assign more supply reductions to the biggest farms. It would free up, according to related econometric studies, $100 billion to $140 billion to $234 billion in farm bill spending for better uses! It would convert the US to making a profit on farm exports instead of subsidizing China et al. Strategically, (being cheaper and ending foreign subsidies & bringing livestock back to farms, it would end the way progressives are divided and conquered, no longer concedng the rural vote to the anti-farmer Republicans.

2 Likes

An added reason to take on Monsanto/Bayer, is that doing so would help curb foreign interventions. It’s not only oil that drives regime change. https://www.mintpressnews.com/how-gmo-seeds-and-monsanto-bayers-roundup-are-driving-us-policy-in-venezuela/258232/

3 Likes

I am sickened by the Polls showing Bernie taking a nose dive.

Either the country is not aware of the dismal Warmongering record of killer Joe or they are aware of his sadistic record and support this type of behavior??

America with either Joe or Don at the helm is a revolting concept.

The minimum farm price floor, set at a living wage level is already in there, (transition toward parity,) but not mentioned in this article.