Home | About | Donate

Bestowed With "Freedom Prize," Greta Thunberg Holds Up D-Day Veteran's Call to Avert Collapse of Civilization

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/21/bestowed-freedom-prize-greta-thunberg-holds-d-day-veterans-call-avert-collapse

2 Likes

Our Mother Earth has been assaulted so many times that we all should be gunning for those who pollute and destroy her wonderousness.

1 Like

She’s our Mother, for God’s and Goddesses sake.

1 Like

The cost of Freedom, the price someone must be willing to pay, Love.

1 Like

To PonyBoy & Ditton

The July-August of ‘American Scientist’ is out, and I found a wonderful article in it which takes in the ecological emergency Greta Thundberg has been given this award for, and highlights an indigenous way of life which supported an awful lot of people with minimal ecological damage

Hawai’i & The “Moku System”

I have been to Hawaii many times - was fascinated by the Polynesian Navigation system and their great double hulled voyaging canoes (wa’a kaulua).

I am adopting the graphic on p.236 for the frontspiece of my ‘Green Binder’:

The Moku System

And here is the full article, with pics

A Hawaiian Renaissance That Could Save the World BY SAM 'OHU GON, KAWIKA WINTER

I hope everyone takes a look, perhaps Greta Thundberg will travel to Hawai’i one day?

1 Like

Thanks many, it’s nice to know you think of us. I am burned out and have quit, I have stopped at page 7 on my site. What will be, will be and there are few that accept the fact that what we need now is hospice. I may post a comment here and there once in a while, while asking myself, for what purpose.

Media darling Greta Thunburg is a media construct used to sheepdog well-meaning people, concerned about preserving their environment from destruction by the ever-increasing demands of neoliberal capitalism as it shifts to embrace the financialization of the environment and its ‘services’ to further fatten the bank accounts of the 0.1% who profit from it and control the astro-turf faux-environmental groups who front for them. To learn more read the exhaustive 6-part expose` by investigative journalist Cory Morningstar:
Part 1 here links to the others: The Manufacturing of Greta Thunberg – for Consent: The Political Economy of the Non-Profit Industrial Complex [ACT I] at her website ‘The Wrong Kind of Green’ (I’m not allowed to post links).

Fascist Focker was saying the same things up until he stopped posting. Frustration seems to be the soup of the day.

Wizard, I feel like a bull with battered brains. I will heal in time, I always do and I always come back for more. Oddly so.

We need more resilient troopers as yourself. I just had my half hour of gardening. Back is played out for much of the rest of the day now. Thank goodness for being able to bounce back, even if it is limited.

Many purposes Gilbert !

The main one being to participate in being social ~

‘You mistake, Kemo Sabe’ - in thinking you or anyone on this planet is going to turn things around, or, in fact, should even try.

What we can do is chat - exchange thoughts - as the world evolves.

“Progress” - much maligned these days - is real, because it means ‘to walk forward’, which is what we are all doing.

True, things are not going well right now.

Maybe we will survive, and maybe we won’t.

Whatever !

The idea is to live - and if possible, let live, all the while following your own instincts, and listening carefully to one’s own body and mind, which are really the same thing anyway.

If you are burned out - listen - you must have been overdoing it.

Forest Gump, ‘when I was tired, I slept…’

I am looking forward to your reply Gilbert !

I am so jealous, gardening was my joy when I was able. There is something very visceral about sticking your hands in dirt. It is a connection like no other.

In 2000, I was 50, a Doc told me I had the body of an 80 year old man and gave me 10 years. I am now 68.

Heh - I’m 69 ! You must be turning 69 soon ?

You know Gilbert, from what I gather you live in the foothills of the Superstition Mountains, and are thus knowledgeable on how to survive in the heat, a valuable thing to know these days, which will only become more valuable as time goes by.

I remember a midnight conversation I had with an old desert rat in the Anza Borrego desert. He was working security in the campground where I was staying (in the back of my truck). Hank said food in the desert was sparse, but highly nutritious.

I just finished reading that article in American Scientist, which I highly recommend you get or read (see link posted above).

I had the privilege of visiting Hawai’i five times, in the days of yore when I was a moderately affluent wellsite geologist (1980’s). I jumped on what I saw - the most beautiful landscape, 'aina momana (fat lands), that I have ever seen, and this after the wholesale destruction post contact.

David Lewis had written a book, “We the Navigators”, about his researches into Hawaiian navigational techniques, and I jumped on that. Since then the Hokule’a has sailed to first Tahiti, and recently, around the world, using those same traditional techniques.

Now the biodiverse rich Hawai’i is dissimilar to the sere reaches of the desert southwest, or to the vast buffalo plains on the Eastern Slope of the Rockies where I live, but as the article points out, ‘the people and the land are one’.

And so each landscape and its indigenous culture may indeed have the knowledge of how best to survive sustainably in each unique terrestrial or oceanic environment.

Ergo - stories Gilbert, of where you live, how you have lived, likewise my stories, likewise everyone else’s stories - may be the key to survival.

A global internet, a world cultural campfire gathering of the elders and the young(er), that is the way we have always survived, and it is the way we need to go if we are to survive The Anthropocene.

I’m off to The Glenmore Reservoir this day with Underacanoe (wife) & Cloudrunner (son) to do some canoeing. I will show my wife and son a few more techniques of compass and canoe - passing it on down.