Home | About | Donate

Bestselling Pentagon Fiction: Beware of Defense Secretaries Pledging Reform

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/09/27/bestselling-pentagon-fiction-beware-defense-secretaries-pledging-reform

“Russia has much to answer for—from its assistance to the Syrian army’s ongoing slaughter of civilians (really?) to its military meddling in the affairs of Ukraine (well, everyone else seems to be doing that plus political meddling, so why not?) … Russia, a shaky petro-state only passing for a great power” - yeah, sure. Faithfully toeing the Establishment line there, I see. I have zero fondness for Russia as a state, but I certainly put it below the USA in the interfering jingoistic corporate militaristic nation-state-raping stakes. A shaky petro-state? Maybe. Have you looked at the balance of payments situation of the USA recently?

2 Likes

Thanks James, you took the words right out of my mouth. Hartung’s work is
important as financial corralling American militarism, but blaming Russia for Syrian
deaths and Ukraine’s American neo-fascist coup is deplorably ignorant; and raises
the moral question of just whose side is he on?

2 Likes

I’m tired of hearing how Russia’s trying to be a “great power” and we shouldn’t let them. Russia is aways described as becoming more assertive on the international stage, something that is above their station. That’s bullshit.

The terms “great power” or “superpower” are not defined anywhere in international law and do not confer any legal rights to do anything. The U.S. government and media have decided to award themselves this distinction and to imply that they have special rights as a result.

It is the U.S. that has acted agressively around the world, most notably against Russia. Russia’s actions have been almost entirely defensive.

1 Like