Home | About | Donate

Beware Facebook's Libra: A Corporate Surveillance Leviathan With No Precedent Outside the Realm of Science Fiction

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/18/beware-facebooks-libra-corporate-surveillance-leviathan-no-precedent-outside-realm

1 Like

The bottom line is facebook is too dam big and powerful, as are many corporations today. It’s well past time to take the Teddy Roosevelt playbook and run with it, reinstate the anti-trust laws and break these behemoths up.

9 Likes

“Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws!”
–Mayer Amschel Rothschild

Fuck off Facebook, then fuck off some more…

5 Likes

People who are stupid enough to trust Facebook with their data will be stupid enough to trust Facebook with their life’s savings.

“no one ever went broke underestimating the American public” - P.T. Barnum

6 Likes

Traditionally, Debt issuers have earned bonanzas sponsoring costly wars.
We need to pay attention to what entity funds any Green New Deal, or it could replace war as a money maker for elites. If progressives simply organize for anything with “green” in it without oversight on accounting, we could be liable to pay back trillions plus interest.
I am concerned we are reacting to words and images waved at us, rather than trying to trace and repatriate what happened to missing billions appropriated to Wars on Iraq and Afghanistan.
( I think the 2016 Green Party idea was to have someone other than the Fed fund their version.)

1 Like

So you have a near monopoly who’s business model is mass surveillance of its users (and in bed with the National Security State), and they want to start a currency…?

Of course, with their own currency they will eventually need their own bank…
It was always just a matter of time before one of the major corporations decided to take a page out of the Rothschilds playbook and make an official bid for world domination.
I am only surprised they beat Amazon to it.

The author did not make the case against FB currency.
I like the idea.

Go with something like bitcoin which cannot be controlled by one person (i.e., Zuckerberg)