Home | About | Donate

Beware ‘Sunni-Stan’: Neocons are Back and Their ‘Vision’ is Darker than Ever

Beware ‘Sunni-Stan’: Neocons are Back and Their ‘Vision’ is Darker than Ever

Ramzy Baroud

John Bolton is a tarnished character. The once United States Ambassador to the United Nations is now promoted as a ‘scholar’ in the pro-Israel lobby group, the American Enterprise Institute (AEI).

A Clean Break - A New Strategy for Securing the Realm (1996) (prepared by a study group headed by RIchard Perle for then Prime Minister Netanyahu) did not call it "Sunni-Stan" but it laid out the plans for its creation.

Israel can shape its strategic environment, in cooperation with Turkey and Jordan, by weakening, containing, and even rolling back Syria. This effort can focus on removing Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq — an important Israeli strategic objective in its own right — as a means of foiling Syria’s regional ambitions. ..

But Syria enters this conflict with potential weaknesses .. Damascus fears that the 'natural axis' with Israel on one side, central Iraq and Turkey on the other, and Jordan, in the center would squeeze and detach Syria from the Saudi Peninsula. For Syria, this could be the prelude to a redrawing of the map of the Middle East which would threaten Syria's territorial integrity. ..

Most important, it is understandable that Israel has an interest supporting diplomatically, militarily and operationally Turkey’s and Jordan’s actions against Syria, such as securing tribal alliances with Arab tribes that cross into Syrian territory and are hostile to the Syrian ruling elite.

Though breaking the "Shia Crescent" appeals to Israel and the Sunnis, the Saudis and Qataris (and their Western allies) are also on board because they want to push a pipeline through Syria to deliver Qatari natural gas to Europe, instead of allowing the Iranians to build a pipeline through Syria to sell Europe that natural gas - from the same gas field in the middle of the Persian Gulf!

I don't understand it. I just don't understand it. How can anyone pay mind to what John Bolton and the Neocons have to say after the debacle of Iraq? People like Bolton, Perle, Feith, and Kagan are intellectual brownshirts. They bear responsibility for the great calamity that is the Middle East today. A million people are dead because of them, including hundreds of thousands of children. Whenever I see that Bolton or Kagan or Rice has resurfaced in public life, I can only ask the Gods: "why aren't these people in jail?"

John Bolton is more than a "tarnished character." He is an evil thug, a sociopath of the first order. The man is always talking about using violence to kill someone somewhere who refuses to go along with the demands of the US Empire. When Bolton talks of "security" or "stability" he means the mass killing of Middle Eastern peoples in their OWN LANDS. Whenever he mentions Israel, he has in mind the slaughter of Palestinians. Of course, he throws around the code words--PLO or Hamas or Hezbollah--but he always really means killing Palestinians so that Israel can have their land.

Bolton is stark raving mad. He does not recognize the right of Iraqis to resist the American occupiers. He never can see the Palestinians as a people with human rights. To him, as for racist Zionists, Palestinians are mere "cockroaches." Bolton speaks loudly and aggressively, as if noise were a substitute for sense, arrogance for authority. He does not know what he is talking about. Iraq proved that. The Necons said that the American invaders would be welcomed with roses. They never anticipated that one day the world would have to live with ISIS. Bolton and the Necons are dull vicious men. They are a menace to the rest of us.

It's amazing that barbarians like Bolton, like Cheney, like Bush, enjoy so much power. Their ignorance astounds; their arrogance appalls; their cruelty sickens, and makes one despair that this world can be saved from the chaos wrought by Empire and War. I know it's bad karma to wish ill of someone, but there is a part of me that would like to see John Bolton lose his mind and the power of speech to a stroke or something of that order. I fear that is the only way we can shut him up, and preventing him inciting others to commit murder and mayhem.

It's worth remembering the Iraqi people did nothing to the United States, and yet the American government totally wrecked Iraqi society. It will take the American nation many, many generations to make recompense for this horrendous crime of the 21st century--and we are only 15 years in !!

It seems like these people are trying to out sociopath each other.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

OMG--you said it all perfectly!!!!

Bolton is a zionist and has Israel's priorities to promote and defend first.

This is a quote from Mike Whitney in an article published on CounterPunch yesterday...

No question that the neocon strategy in Iraq succeeded in exacerbating historical tensions that readily can be turned into violent confrontation. Whether the continuing efforts to split the Middle East factions depends on whether forces gather to confront these efforts.

One hopeful approach is efforts being made to restore the boundaries of Syria. The effect can be constructive efforts to address the tensions within Syria provided there is international support for such efforts and those who have used these tensions be effectively thwarted. Can Shiites live with Sunnis, can Kurds be integrated. The answer I think if yes if the effort is made both within Syria and internationally.

This means no Kurdistan and no Sunnistan but Syria as a nation.