Home | About | Donate

'Beyond Predatory': Trump Treasury Department Gives Banks Green Light to Seize $1,200 Stimulus Checks to Pay Off Debts

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/14/beyond-predatory-trump-treasury-department-gives-banks-green-light-seize-1200

5 Likes

Welcome to unchecked conservatism.

9 Likes

If this surprises anyone it means they have not been paying attention; I predicted this a week ago.

20 Likes

Not to mention that Dodd/Frank legislation enables banks to confiscate depositors money to keep the bank from going under. Yes, I know that Trump and GOP dismantled parts of Dodd/Frank in 2017, but the dismantled parts were all beneficial to the 99%, the parts of Dodd/Frank beneficial to the 1% and their banks were not dismantled.

Can you say Kleptocracy ?

19 Likes

Waging war on the working class.

14 Likes

They are an easy victim, they kiss you and pay you and praise you all the way down

3 Likes

Not to worry. The Dems will send Moochkin a letter …

13 Likes

well, this is turning out to be one big scam again. so add the “consumer” side of 1.5 trillion to the 4.5 trillion these pigs are already getting and it looks like what was just passed was a cash handout of 6 trillion to the usual suspects. nicely done, a-holes.

revolt, yet?

and just wait when all those poor suckers who filed the “returns” just to get the check will find the IRS going after them for unfiled taxes for previous years on top of the rest of this insult.

this has the potential to be one of the very worst pieces of financial legislation ever passed, and one of the biggest, nastiest political tricks in my lifetime.

30 Likes

Is Joe Biden going to denounce this? Lookie here all of these.

ttps://www.opensecrets.org/2020-presidential-race/contributors?id=N00001669

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Trump owned entities are using the pandemic to declare to lenders that they are not going to pay off debt they owe to various banks.

Corporations like Boeing and the Oil Industry are deep in debt yet expect billions to come their way and it highly unlikely banks will be given the “green light” to seize those funds. The persons who signed their name to the CARES act should be embarrassed. If they are not then they knew full well this was coming even as they voted Yea in favor.

This IS Capitalism.

14 Likes

At 63 years of age I am not the man I was at 40 or 50 but I am convinced the only way to get back what has been stolen from the 99% will be violence in the streets. Bernie was the peaceful civilized way but that’s been stolen too. So disgusted with it all !

27 Likes

BUT WAIT! It’s the Democrats who are you enemy…
I hope all you shills here see this and choke on it.

2 Likes

Well now that crowds are illegal, Trump pretty much has that covered. The way I see it someone should write a sequel to the book Waiting For Godot called: Waiting For The Revolution.

8 Likes

You beat me to it by a minute or so Suspira.
Are the big and small businesses going to be forced to pay off their debts first as well?
We have two sides in America. The police and the crooks. The leftists and the conservatives.

5 Likes

More like fascism. Conservatives actually used to endorse progressive redistributive taxation back in the 50s.

6 Likes

Waiting for the shot heard around the world. Oops, I mean shout.

3 Likes

Trump will get his cut of that slush fund. Maybe that’s why he’s so testy lately. He’s salivating over our tax dollars. Getting them all slimy. He and Munchkiin can roll their fat asses around in it. All Trump’s promises are lies.

7 Likes

This is unchecked CAPITALISM which has no boundaries between conservative or liberal, D or R. It’s is about the primacy of the elite and the already super rich.

18 Likes

I’m sure demented Joe Biden would approve of this. He remembers fondly how he made declaring bankruptcy much harder for the average citizen. He laughs with glee how he made it impossible to discharge student debt through bankruptcy. He looks forward to cutting social security in the proud tradition of Obama’s cat food commission. And he is the democratic nominee for President of the United States. . End stage capitalism.
“In a democracy, citizens get the government they deserve.”

11 Likes

One of the debts people down in the US are likely running up is medical debt. Already some Hospitals are serving people with lawsuits to collect on that debt. If this “green light” given then a great chunk of that 1200$ every that was supposed to help Americans through this crisis will go straight to the Corporations along with the 4 trillion going their way. I suspect next to nothing will remain in the pockets of the working class.

11 Likes