Home | About | Donate

Bhutan Plants 108,000 Trees In the Name of Gross National Happiness

Bhutan Plants 108,000 Trees In the Name of Gross National Happiness

Instead of Canada if the unthinkable occurs and Drumpf....you know....consider the tiny mountain kingdom of Bhutan, the world's most eco-friendly, carbon-negative country, which just celebrated the birth of its new prince by planting 108,000 saplings - the number of impurities a Buddhist must overcome for enlightenment. Not only must 60% of Bhutan's land remain forest; trees are a core feature of its Happiness Index.

Ah, Bhutan... beauty is thy name, teaching thy elegant life of joy on this plane.

Thank you for this Abby and CD!

"For an alternative to Canada or Costa Rica "

Here we go again, It was just 12 years ago on this very site everyone was gonna leave for Canada if W was elected again. Nobody did, still mostly US IP addresses on this forum. Nobody is gonna go anywhere, cuz no matter how much everyone is griping Americans have it better that most other people.

People who don't like where they live, are oppressed or have their rights violated, pick up their stuff get on an inner tube, walk miles thru the burning desert or cross angry seas in rickety boats or shipping containers to get to better place.

Refuge looks like this

Odd, cynical comment especially given the subject of the article is about happiness.

Don't blame me, that's the first idea in the article.

Commondreams, do your homework....

The land of happiness according to Amnesty International...

Human Rights Concerns

Since the early 1990s, over 100,000 refugees of ethnic Nepalese origin from southern Bhutan have been living in camps in eastern Nepal after they were arbitrarily stripped of their nationality and forced to flee Bhutan. These 100,000 people constitute about one-sixth of the population of Bhutan. The Bhutanese refugee situation has become one of the most protracted and neglected refugee crises in the world. Despite many rounds of bilateral talks between the governments of Nepal and Bhutan, a durable, rights-respecting solution to the plight of the Bhutanese refugees does not seem close. Amnesty International also remains concerned about continuing reports of discrimination against ethnic Nepalese living in Bhutan.

Humans are capable of such good...and evil.

Refuge is the initiates starting point for Buddism. When one can no longer take the weight of the suffering one seeks refuge in the path.
And indeed one can achieve happiness even in the most difficult circumstances.
It is called Compassion

Some people judge an article by its introductory paragraph's initial idea. They may or may not have even noticed the title.

The Dalai Lama makes a life devotion of interesting Americans (not just the US Americans, either; what Canadian or Honduran or Argentine is not American?) in happiness. So far we are so busy escaping from our own fates we bring upon ourselves chasing the rainbows delivered by our monkey minds that we don't have time to consider happiness may be a worthy way of being.

I never moved to Canada, but my brother and his partner did in 2004 - never regretted it - a better life in every way. As as far as us "having it better", my drive from Pittsburgh through Buffalo to Toronto is like going from the third world to the first world - the the difference in affluence - and the way it is more broadly shared, and the absence of any apparent racism in housing and employment and healthcare, is stark. I met a Guatemalan family up there - they sometimes drive all the way between Toronto and the family in the old country. And they regard the USA as just this dangerous place that they most keep their head down while they cross to get to their new home.

That is why the proper term for a US citizen, one that is not offensive to Latin Americans, is "USAn", not "American" except in the broad sense.

That the article would suggest, even in jest, that we - the complicit disease vectors of capitalism, imperialism and lowest common denominator entertainment and pop culture - should move to countries that have at great cost maintained varying degrees of immunity against our consistent onslaughts, is in itself a measure of our depravity. Let's clean up our own sullied nest before continuing our de facto evangelizing of the rest of the world with "American culture." Bhutan, is not perfect but its culture is based on a perennial vision. It doesn't need American refugees in its midst even if it were open to our coming (which it is, thankfully, not for its own sake). Speaking of which, even our presence as tourists and certainy business investors are bad enough - consider the coming fate of Cuba in this regard.

Lived in Canada myself, decided to move to he US instead, for the reason stated in my post. Toronto actually. Still go visit sometimes. I can see no difference between the two. Then again, I don't live in Pittsburg. The only difference i grant you is "free" healthcare. Sales tax tho is 13% (at least in Ontario). Also when i was living there my total fed and prov tax was about 18%. In the US i never paid more than 11-12%. Otherwise standard of living was mostly the same.

Thanks to "discover" for reminding us or bringing this to our attention! For anyone wanting to read more about the Nepalese refugee crisis in Bhutan, and resettlement problems in the west I have provided links.
This isn't a "usual" refugee crisis but an expulsion of people of Nepalese decent whose families had lived in Bhutan since early migrations. The Nepalese minority received Bhutanese citizenship in 1958 but tens of thousands were stripped of citizenship later.......

http://bhutanesestudents.blogspot.com/p/where-is-bhutan-if-refugees-are.html.

here are other historical links.

http://www.bhutaneserefugees.com/index.php?id=3

http://the-voyagers.tripod.com/refugees.htm

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2014/6/19/bhutanese-refugeessuicide.html

The living standard for me would probably be about the same too - higher taxes, very high home prices, but higher salary to offset it. But it must be better for lots of others becasue one sees no poor, blighted, race-defined neighborhoods of the sort that are ubiquitous in the US , especially the upper Midwest. Their former neighborhood, Parkdale, was considered a "poor" neighborhood by Toronto standards, but would be one of the nicer city neighborhoods if it was in Pittsburgh..

While Bhutan is not the hyper-isolationist xenophobic country it used to be, I suspect that they still don't accept very many immigrants. They didn't even allow Bhutanese Nepalis - who were being ejected from Nepal, to return. Many of them moved to the USA under a UN refugee-resettlement plan now live in a sort-of Bhutanese-Nepali-town in Carrick - next to my home in Pittsburgh. I'd like to see them open more restaurants.

You can always tell how "happy" someone is in the United States by how totally gross their lifestyle is.

Ahh... Ever the ultra rationalists
Just as a point of enlightenment
Did any on this page plant a tree today?