Home | About | Donate

Bidding on Planet's Future, Activists Disrupt Fossil Fuel Auction in Utah

Bidding on Planet's Future, Activists Disrupt Fossil Fuel Auction in Utah

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

More than 100 climate activists disrupted the Bureau of Land Management's oil and gas lease auction in Salt Lake City on Tuesday, sending a powerful warning to the Obama administration that until the climate impacts of such sales are considered, the protests will not relent.

Hey now! Ya Hoo! Been waiting for the '60's to come back around! Looks like they made it! Peace and blessings to all, Tom Evans

A big "Thank You" to all of the activists. Well done.

Thanks to the author (Lauren McCauley), too. I would have liked it even better if it had contained a "shout out" to Tim DeChristopher...

well said!

Thanks to the courageous activists there at the auction!
Is this country brain dead? Why are we selling off public land for oil and gas exploitation?! Are we not satisfied with the ruin we have already caused the world -- we want to increase it?! "Hurry now, dig up every last piece of untouched land while the earth is burning!"
Thanks also to Terry Tempest Williams for trying to protect some of these lands. Maybe we should crowd source the buying of these lands for protection...especially while they are going for such bargain prices. Breaks my heart.

Please sign Elizabeth Warren’s Petition against Pfizer’s tax avoidance move offshore here:

http://act.democracyforamerica.com/sign/Pfizer/?t=2&akid=7426.270485.0tR2qU

"I don’t know if we’re going to win this fight in time," McKibben writes. "But I do know we’re now fighting on every front..."

Damned right we are! Ramp up the mobilization and resistance on every front!

"I don’t know if we’re going to win this fight in time," McKibben writes. "But I do know we’re now fighting on every front.

I have a lot of respect for 350.org, but they are not fighting on every front, at least formerly. All this action is truly great, but until we strip energy corporations of their Constitutional rights (personhood) they will continue to roll all over us. I personally would like to see more synergy between Bill McKibbon, 350.org and the Democracy movement.

In reference to an above comment, Thank you indeed, Bidder 70!

They "temporarily ... disrupted" the auction. They didn't stop it. They didn't even have a significant effect on the auction. They were cleared out and then business was completed as usual. Do you want to have a real impact? Go participate in the auction for real. Buy options and then refuse to exercise them. Buy the rights and just leave the oil in the ground. That will get their full attention.

I agree with your sentiment although I appreciate any real-world action as opposed to online petitions and what have you. But, sadly, you're right. These protests usually get quickly swept away by stuffy serious public officials acting politely and professionally, according to protocol yes, just doing "that's the way the world is" until the biosphere collapses. So, how do we outbid oil and gas prospectors for these lands? Some sort of student debt jubilee-like movement in coordination with philanthrocapitalists?

i think it's more about preventing the auctions from taking place, than it is about outbidding the looters.

If the lands are going for $2 an acre, buying them up might be a good way to immediately prevent the damage, but there is a fundamental problem with buying into the notion that we owe someone--in this case, the federal government--money for the right to an Earth we can keep living on. If these are federal lands, the public already owns them, why should we have to come up with cash to simply preserve them as public land? For the people in charge to auction off the rights to gas companies is like a father auctioning off the right to rape his daughters...and having the police hold the daughters down for it.

We could should start by asking if those are Federal lands by lawful authority? Or whether they were stolen from the Native Americans? In modern thinking the presumption is that they were stolen and the proper remedy is to return it.
As for wildfire's statement 'preserve them as public land', that is a misstatement that presumes. Public land can for a fee be grazed, logged, used to contain a water-reservoir, developed to some degree (various degrees) for recreation, sold in part if that serves a good, such as providing housing if adjacent to an urban area, or preserved as untouched wilderness, or another use. Wildfire is presuming that 'untouched wilderness' use.
After we've answered the 'who owns it' question, presuming that those lands are still held by all-American people, then we can discuss what is the best use for that land.