Home | About | Donate

Biden and Bloomberg Want Uncle Sam to Defer to Uncle Scrooge

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/11/11/biden-and-bloomberg-want-uncle-sam-defer-uncle-scrooge

This generation may soon find out what the people of America’s first gilded age knew, and that is of course that Jay Gould was correct. The rich could indeed hire half the poor to kill the other half.

5 Likes

That is essentially the essence of the Republican playbook.

3 Likes

That’s been the point of globalization – fuel the race to the bottom for high paid workers in industrialized countries and build markets elsewhere to replace your current domestic markets. And it can all be accomplished through outsourcing to wherever wages are lowest.

Now we have the gig economy turning our cars and homes into someone else’s profit center.
And sweatshops proliferating across the undeveloped world.
And GHG emissions rising in unregulated countries like India.
And 40 years of income stagnation here.
And militarized policing just in case we natives get edgy.

If I were a billionaire, I’d hate Bernie, too. He ain’t shy about who he’s going to tax. But last time I checked I was short on funds and looking to level the playing field. I’m not kidding myself about the US political landscape or Bernie’s chances – they’re slim – however, when the publicity he’s getting is due to the likes of Jeff Bezos bringing him up, he’s definitely in the mix. Haven’t voted D since 2008. Bernie has me thinking, at least a little.

It’s been said before, but it bares repeating. The secret behind the republican party’s success since the signing of the civil rights act of 1964 has been their ability to convince poor and working class white Americans to vote against their own best interests.
When people take their racism, sexism, xenophobia, and their bibles into the voting booth, bad things happen.

3 Likes

A rich guy and two workers divide a pie into two pieces.

The rich guy grabs nine pieces and whispers to one of the workers, “he’s trying to steal your slice.”

2 Likes

The big question that remains is that IF Bernie Sanders does not garner the nomination for President of the United States of America from the Democratic party what will he and all these columnists do if someone like a Bloomberg in fact wins that nomination?

Bernie would relinquish all claims to anti-billionaire credibility and support Bloomberg.

Fortunately for Bernie, Bloomberg is dead in the water.

1 Like

The ego on display between Steyer and Bloomberg is sort of amazing. The campaign money they are spending, a drop in the bucket to them, could be going to so many better causes. Oh well.

1 Like

I dunno, Norm; I think you’re whitewashing these guys when you don’t want to. Scrooge was just a tightwad even before he reformed–no documentation of pedophilia or mafia connections, let alone military aggression.

How many ghosts is it going to take Uncle Sam to straighten up and fly right? Enough. I want to send Chris Hedges over with some chains and a sheet.

“Fortunately for Bernie, Bloomberg is dead in the water.”

Saager Enjeti/Krystal Ball: Bloomberg’s Run Will Only Help Bernie
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wveCd-kgxY]

1 Like

Biden’s dwindling support includes a disturbing source, and I don’t mean the Wall Street banksters desperate to stop Warren. How do I know this? The September Quinnipiac poll shows that the only group of Democrats preferring Biden to Warren are black voters, and by a whopping 2 to 1 ratio! How so?

It can’t be his own record. According to Norman Solomon, from the Hyde amendment to Anita Hill, to the Clinton crime bill, to credit card/home loans discrimination, Biden does not rate black voter support. Yet he gets it, in spades.

One likely reason is that Obama is quietly working to burnish his neoliberal credentials through his former VP. (He recently openly boasted of his record high oil an gas production for Big Oil.) Just like Bernie in 2016, Obama can create a serious gulf between the black community and Warren in 2020, damaging both to pad his own ego and pocket book.

ByeDone polls well with older black voters for three reasons:

He was Obama’s VP
He’s perceived as the most likely to beat Trump
Older African Americans are pretty conservative

Re-posting this.

With respect to deference to Uncle Scrooge, how about Scrooge McDuck as the Democrat’s nominee?

1 Like

Bernie Sanders will not be allowed the presidency even if t takes a plane crash, a heart attack, a stroke, some kind of accident or even a bullet. This IS the United States after all. May have to vote for Trump to save Bernie’s life.

Thanks. We need outreach to the demographic group you mentioned.

great

Raletta Technology