Home | About | Donate

Biden Given Roadmap to Revitalize Rural America

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/11/13/biden-given-roadmap-revitalize-rural-america

5 Likes

This is sorely needed in rural America, bring back the family farms and agriculture that is sustaining and protects the soil. Soil used to absorb much of the carbon but with big agr our soil has been depleted… No absorption

8 Likes

I CAN NOT BELIEVE that people still think that Biden is going to overnight become a progressive and give a shite about “We the People” over “They the donors”! Is it any wonder the country continues a downward spiral?! What happened to FACTS RESEARCHED and CRITICAL-THINKING?!

11 Likes

Is the emphasis on mostly white, rural citizens based upon racial and political issues? How about a plan to revitalize American cities like Detroit or Philadelphia? That would not benefit Democrats who already “own” minority populations in those cities. Better to try to convince (once again) those mostly Republican rural voters to change their minds and vote for Democrats. And how did that work out in Iowa this last election?

4 Likes

Is that a picture of James Carville?

If the farming community was happy with trump they won’t have much use for Biden. These rural white farmers still attend their little republican favored churches, and watch only Fox Noise.

1 Like

Generalize much…?

1 Like

What’s your point?
Why pin that on me?
Most comments here are generalized comments, yours included.
Maybe comment on the subject would be a better avenue for you.
Your comment only begs for confrontation.

1 Like

My point is: How would you like me to write that all old people are wasting air that should be left for youth? Wouldn’t THAT be considered a “shot-in-the-dark-non-fact-based-over-generalized-comment”?!

Can you not admit that was a prejudiced generalization?
I come from a long line of FDR-loving family farmers so I guess it rubbed me wrong.

Here’s a response on the subject: SUPPORT FAMILY FARMERS AND NO GREED CAPITALIST, GOVERNMENT-SUPPORTED FARMERS!

1 Like

You prove one point that is always with us. Don’t leave any ambiguity with ones comments. The comment police are at the ready to lay it on.
Every time I comment on a subject and leave ambiguity in there I always get grief.
My only defense for including ALL farmers is that most of them that I know fit the description I presented.
Generalizing was not the best way to comment on this. A good lesson in journalism. Thanks.

2 Likes

Heidi Heitkamp’s name has surfaced for USDA, no family farms program or at least anything of significance if she becomes Biden’s pick. More Big Agri monsanto bull shit just like with Hillary/Obama/drumpf. One can’t help seeing that politics plays a bigger role than fixing the country with both donkeys and elephants. Here today, here tomorrow.

3 Likes

Note the banks stocks as Banker Joe and the Whore of Wall Street move slowly into power. Not prosecuting Wall Street millionaires was the Camel’s choice and she was rewarded by donations from unlikely republicans like Mnuchin. Banker Joe authored-supported one of the worst bankruptcy bills ever for students and poor people while it was great for Banks. That is who they are.

4 Likes

As a lifelong farmer who is in first year retirement, here’s my 2 cents. In general, ag is now big ag and no going back. Of course programs to help and encourage smaller farmers of fruit, vegetable, herb, etc. is a good thing, but here in S MN it won’t turn much around economically or politically. Getting jobs for small towns is a better hope. Rural infrastructure needs money. We have paid plenty of taxpayer money to farmers who send most of the money ultimately to large corporations in large cities. Rural areas can seem boring to lots of young folks so it is important for rural folk’s kids to find useful lives in big cities. As drosera mentioned, money to big cities that need it will likely help democrats more than investing in the rural sticks.

1 Like

So glad to see this article on CD. I think revitalization of rural America should’ve been a high priority for all the previous administrations since at least Bill Clinton’s first term, but it hasn’t been. The once thriving towns bustling with tourism and thriving local businesses have all boarded up in exchange for homelessness, drugs and poverty. I’ve seen rural American west decay before my very eyes and it’s hard to not get emotional about it. The small gas station, locally made ice cream, family owned pharmacy, local meat processing, dairy operation, little dive bars, small bakery, the country stores, the farmers markets, all locally owned, all gone. I am of the opinion that family owned and small businesses are the sole of a nation. However we’ve lost our economic power to the chain franchise’s like the burger pits and chevron owned convenient stores. We refuse to take a stand when a fucking behemoth store like wal-mart or home depots moves in and replace thousands of local businesses making the community poor and needy.

1 Like

I’ve concluded that some commenters, aside from or in place of being Trump trolls, are just bitter, sour, snarky naysayers who sit on the sidelines slagging Biden and the Democrats whenever they propose something good.
These same people rarely if ever say anything bad about Trump and his cult of destroyers.
It’s disgusting that people are so quick to be totally negative, fatalistic, slanderous and just plain wrong when it comes to what Biden, Harris and other politicians want to do for America.

1 Like

You have infected me with nostalgia. All those mom and pops I grew up with.
After the opening of our huge mall a number of smaller ones popped up and put even more strain on businesses. Our downtown revitalized after a few years and is now more vibrant than the malls. At least equal to.
It has been the greedy capitalist movement that killed many small businesses. Now it is the trump-virus.

2 Likes

As a hydrologist who sank to his hips in many a wetland, I say Bless you!

1 Like

Hi drosera:
There could be great farms in Detroit too. Hydroponic farms built into high rises. that would work well in all parts of the city, . Create food and a new local economy at the same time. Big cities can have rooftop gardens too—they do it in Paris already! : )

1 Like

Could be her or perhaps Cargill Klobuchar. Not likely to be Winona LaDuke.

1 Like

Grandpa was a farmer. Had four boys and a girl. My dad being the youngest was the last to leave the farm. At about that same time grandma contracted leukemia.
They couldn’t afford insurance so the treatments bankrupted them. Grandpa had to sell the farm and bought a very small home in town.
They lived with a lot of faith and a nice garden that fed them.

2 Likes