Home | About | Donate

Big Ag's False Solution

Big Ag's False Solution

Krissy Kasserman

You don’t find what you’re not looking for, or so the saying goes.

Big Ag has been able to keep what they’re doing behind closed doors for decades. There’s a reason why we know very little about what happens on factory farms.

"Over the past several decades, more and more whistleblowers and undercover investigations have alerted the public to the atrocities happening behind these closed doors."

When I hear politicians extoll the “virtues” of the “family” farm and the “traditional” ways of life I want to projectile vomit (and probably should given whatever the factory farms are pushing into the market). The author is completely right, as was Upton Sinclair, it is all about profit. To think that a brutalized animal could have been exchanged in barter in times gone by is absolute poppycock. Humanity was better in times gone by as humanity could keep watch on itself. The corporate cloak of factory farming (among many other sins–financial derivatives anyone?) so distances one from one’s food as to render the sanctity of one’s body moot. The concentrations of wealth that immortal corporations have brought are a great threat to humanity, even if “humans” can withstand the upcoming calamities.

Expecting elected officials in a political system that runs on money to overhaul our food system (or any other system for that matter) is pure fantasy. If American meat and dairy consumers gave a damn about how animals are treated on farms, they wouldn’t keep buying meat and dairy.

The best way to put these factory farm operations out of business is to get those consumers off of meat and dairy via education. Plenty of research supports the need to do just this, in terms of consumer health, environmental health and meeting the production needs for the future. Moreover, this is one instance where an individual can contribute. All it takes is a change in diet and/or informing others to do likewise. Waiting for well-greased politicians to take action is futile.

Almost all of this countries problems are the result of years of ignoring, and recently, the legalization of bribery to our politicians. This problem is no different. In the 1970’s “family farmers” were told to “get big, or get out” by our dept. of ag. representatives. All Farm Bills since then have provided benefits to corp. farms, and made life harder for family farms, this was no accident. Now the majority of our food comes from factory farms.
True family farms cared about the quality of their products, and were stewards of the land they farmed. Todays corp. farms, as pointed out in above comments, care about only money.
The same thing is happening to the Organic industry now, if you want true organic food, only buy from small family farms.

Apparently you don’t think there are factory farms for vegetables. Corp. vegetable farms may be slightly cleaner than meat producers, but they still do their part to lower the quality of our food and damage the environment.
The only solution is small scale farms, that use organic methods, and farm bills that reflect this ideology.

Not at all. I know very well that grains and vegetables are MORE commonly grown on factory farms. Indeed, these large scale operations are, to a large degree, run to supply the livestock industry with feed, not to supply humans with food. I also know that research shows that smaller grain and vegetable farms are less pesticide and fertilizer intensive. You’re right, that should be the goal. One step at a time, though. Reduce the demand for meat and dairy and you’ll get less crop production to supply said operations with feed.

Inhumane attitudes and behaviors toward chickens and other farmed animals didn’t start with “factory farming” in the mid-20th century. The meanness and cruelty expressed by many “old-fashioned farming” folks (see recent example, below) show where modern factory farms came from. Animal farming has always been an ugly business infused with hatred and hostility toward the animals. Forget about reviving the past. Forget about resurrecting the Plantation.

Lady MacBeth at the Rotisserie: “Femivorism” and Maternalism as Strategies for Legitimating Violence Against Animals" -

John Sanbonmatsu, PhD

John surveys memoirs written by middle class white women about leaving careers to take up animal husbandry, as a way (they claim) to empower themselves as women and to realize an “authentic” connection with animals and the land. John shows how, by uniting mothering and fertility with frank, violent sadism and death fetishism, “femivores” are playing a pivotal ideological role in legitimating speciesism and stabilizing meat as a “natural,” “humane” commodity. John is the editor of Critical Theory and Animal Liberation and a blogger for The Huffington Post.

How can We the People “hurt” these companies for buying politicians and having them make laws that take away “our” rights?

There is no way to respond to you’re post without offending you, and that’s not my intention. I watched the presentation provided by Dr.Sanbonmatsu and came to the conclusion that neither you or him have ever stepped foot on a real family farm. Both of you are so far removed from where you’re food comes from, it boggles the mind, and you’re not alone in this country. I say this not to disparage either of you for not eating meat, that’s you’re right, and I support that.
The presentation had no connection to family farming at all, and it’s sad that you think it does. Ethical farmers don’t revel the idea of slaughtering their animals, that’s something a mental patient would do. For the two of you to pass that concept off as normal to real farmers is wrong.
I won’t go into the long explanation of the relationship between animals and grains and vegetable crops, but the sustainability of farms without chemical inputs is reliant on the connection between the three. I’ll end with this, it has been proven that plants respond to noises around them, they have feelings too, so how do you justify that they are less important than animals ?

I had a pet chicken as a kid, product of a blue colored chick given to me for Easter at that time. It used to follow me everywhere. On a trip, we left it in care of my aunt, who ate it. I missed that chicken and felt guilty for a long time.

In the islands were we lived for a time, people kept chickens loose in their yards. If they wanted to eat one, they would take it to a local butcher to prepare. It was a humane way to raise free range chickens.

Some neighbors raised beautiful gamecocks whose morning crowing would be our alarm clocks. I am against fighting cocks, but understand that bans would make these most beautiful chickens go extinct. Gamecock owners ate or sold losing gamecocks for meat. Winning gamecocks would be retired with a harem of hens to sire more winners. Much better for chickens than spending their lives cooped up, living in their own excrement.

Anyone whose ever had a pet chicken knows they are loving animals. I seldom eat chicken and never in fast food joints.

Well why has no one mentioned the new Australian documentary “Dominion” which is about as complete and brutal doc as has ever been put on film.

Need help becoming a vegetarian/vegan; want to see the future of corporate hell one earth happening now to our fellow earth animals; witness the corporate destruction of the our environment for fun and profit; see one of the origins of the seeds of war and murder …then dare to see “Dominion”.

As a child, my father had us stay on a family farm that offered bed and board to visitors. I will never forget the little lone calf standing as if frozen in a field, unresponsive to us.

Plants don’t grieve for the loss of loved ones.

From “God’s Dog, A Celebration of the North American Coyote” by Hope Ryden

I could see evidence all about me that a rather large elk herd had recently pastured and bedded in the area. A freshly made trail ran directly across the feeding crater where the dea animal lay. Had it died before or after the herd had departed? And why had the live calf not followed when the others felt the urge to move on? Now, left alone, the audacious fellow stood slim chance of survival. Perhaps that, in part, explained why he so tenaciously defended his lone companion, who lay partially eaten at his side. There is no creature more pathetic than a herd animal who has lost his herd.

Twice the calf walked over to its former companion(?), stretched out his head, and nudged the face of the carcass, as if trying to rouse it to life. HOW LITTLE WE KNOW WHAT ANIMALS FEEL! HOW FATUOUS IS MAN TO ASSUME THAT HE ALONE AMONG ALL CREATURES THAT WALK THE EARTH IS CAPABLE OF EXPERIENCING THE PAIN OF LOSS.

But I was too excited by all that I had witnessed to sink into easy slumber. I had seen and photographed a very young hoofed animal, one who was disadvantaged by separation from his herd, successfully hold his ground and even defend a dead fellow against numerous coyotes, whom he had no difficulty whatsoever intimidating…

Equally exciting to me was the impression I received that the calf I watched had acted out of an attachment for a dead animal and that he was experiencing something like bereavement.