Home | About | Donate

Big Changes Are Coming to Iowa's 2020 Caucuses

Big Changes Are Coming to Iowa's 2020 Caucuses

Steven Rosenfeld

The Iowa Democratic Party is preparing to implement the most sweeping and radical changes to its first-in-the-nation caucuses in 50 years, including potentially adopting online elements that could increase participation by upward of 100,000 voters, according to party leaders.

Iowa coming first in the primary season knee-caps progressives around the country (remember Nancy Kerrigan). A state that gave us Steve King and that went for Trump in 2016 should not be in a position to determine the early front runner of any party.

1 Like

Steve King is a Republican. He doesn’t have anything to do with this. So, what’s your point?
Iowa also gave us the Everly Bros., John Wayne, Bob Feller and Henry Wallace. None of them have anything to do with this either. Though it would be interesting to hear Wallace’s thoughts on the party’s current embrace of Neo-Liberalism and Russiamania, NAFTA & the WTO, et al.
The Iowa Caucuses are unique and can be best thought of, imo, as an extremely large illegal poker game in the basement of a church.
The approximate 30% current participation rate by Democratic Party members in the caucus is actually quite high. And, that’s a good thing. I hope by modernizing the caucus they don’t mess up all the fun that comes with doing something that feels slightly off-kilter, but in a good way.

2 Likes

It woudl be nice if ALL states who had voting machines were NOT privately owned machines, because that seems insane. Machine might be workable when states had the rankings going, if every voter was assigned a number and they could look up the votes to see if their personal number actually voted for what a machine said they did

2 Likes

It’s really hard to see this happening, given how disorganized these caucuses already are. I’ve been a caucus chair for candidates. They were a circus in 2004, 2008, and 2016, with rooms crammed with participants, mostly older (50-80 years old). Some larger rooms have held three precincts, with roughly 100 per precinct.

A person will occasionally remark, “This is the most disorganized event I’ve ever seen!” And, “I can’t believe how many old people are here!”

There is a respect for getting out to the caucus and staying there for over an hour, and sometimes two. A person can physically see how votes are tabulated in the attending groups.

Online voting? Hmmm, I wonder what could go wrong there.

1 Like

I heard my clarion call. The new congress needs to quickly follow up on HR1 and deal with voter/voting reforms. If a few months slip by it will be the same shit all over again and people will say, again, we’ll have to fix that.

3 Likes

“As advances in election technology strive to combat threats to elections, blockchain-based mobile voting applications present a means to address voter accessibility, confidence in elections and security in preventing vote manipulation.”

Disorganized? Iowa Democrats? :):slight_smile:
I was a Rainbow Coalition caucus rally person/vote squeezer-outer in Iowa City in 1984. That was bizarro world and 4 hours of Orwellian futurism. Or, Lost In the Funhouse, possibly?
But, in a good way. Real grass roots " politickin’ is a hot mess.

1 Like

You can be certain the DNC will come up with an elaborate system in Iowa designed specifically to defeat Bernie Sanders. They don’t care so much who wins, as long as it isn’t Bernie.

1 Like

Real democracies have paper ballots.

3 Likes

HI GANDOLF: I don’t think this will happen again, because if there is a next time vote of
cheating poor people will close down the rich people’s voting spaces.Some of the states who deny people of difference races and people of low incomes the right to vote---- are American terrorists. If they don’t stop I think people will start terrorizing them back--------and then we have martial law and it’s really good bye America. : (

HI Blockertoo, YES, but it’s the political parties control that, and I remember reading about the creep man governor in Wisconsin, whose 2nd in command woman transferred the voter outcome to her personal computer----- I can’t believe she got away with that—because didn’t we all think she just erased votes?

So if the white, rich, and powerful can’t play by their own rules and win, they will shit all over everything and everyone?
By the way, I don’t see the poor and disenfranchised standing up for anything. Nobody wants to get hurt or spend time incarcerated.

HI GANDOLF, but that’s what they’ve been doing for ages…espeicaily Florida, and the Supreme Court. LOL, I think the poor by observation have realized that "sneaky,: is a skill that anyone can learn. Everyone loves that theme, which is why Robin Hood has always been popular. : )

Iowa does not deserve to be the first state! Democrats should be selecting other states----Oregon being a good pick-----

The larger point that escapes you: doesn’t matter what technical changes occur to Iowa caucuses. What matters is that Iowans are conservative and this small state going first gets to declare the front runner–whom the media continues to celebrate as the front runner most if not all the way through to the election. They went for Trump and Hillary last time–and that kind of thing will happen again. This is the elephant in the room, not the caucuses.

Iowans cannot be trusted with this huge responsibility. We already have small, underpopulated states determining so much in this country–they tend to be conservative and they get two senators just like NY and CA.