Home | About | Donate

Big Oil Spends Tens of Millions to Successfully Kill Washington's Plan to Drastically Curb Planet-Killing Carbon Emissions

Big Oil Spends Tens of Millions to Successfully Kill Washington's Plan to Drastically Curb Planet-Killing Carbon Emissions

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

This post may be updated.

A groundbreaking proposal in Washington state that would have ushered in the nation's first carbon fee is projected to fail after Big Oil spent record sums to defeat it.

It’s easy to prevail when you have the richest industry in the history of money.

God needs to wipe us out one more time so we can start over.

We the People can credit the corrupted Supreme Court for allowing corporations to spend insane sums of money to defeat legislation designed to better humankind’s chances of survival.

The full story here is more disgusting. Two years ago, I-732 would have established a much simpler, straightforward, cash-money carbon fee: most people would get a rebate check every year. It wasn’t supported by the corporate-left-liberal establishment, because it didn’t throw any bones to favorite grievance groups. So, over two years, I-1631 was put together. Every tribe, poor neighborhood, SJW and enviro pressure group got to carve up what they wanted. Everybody bought in. A sure winner! Of course, nobody bothered to think that most people who vote in midterms are old and white, and don’t give two $#its about tribes or poors or browns. All the oil industry had to do was say “gas will cost more!”. Boom, crushed outside of three counties where people can read.

I’m sure they’ll try again with some tweaks, but Americans will never give up their cars voluntarily, and since they’ve been trained since Reagan to think all taxes are bad, the whole state will never vote for something like this.

Except this time I don’t think he plans on sparing a single human.