Home | About | Donate

'Biggest Coronavirus Stimulus of All': Richest Man in the World Jeff Bezos Now $24 Billion Richer Amid Pandemic

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/15/biggest-coronavirus-stimulus-all-richest-man-world-jeff-bezos-now-24-billion-richer

1 Like

He might give some to WHO.

5 Likes

My vote: This BOZO gets the guillotine first

12 Likes

This billionaire gave to NHS:

~https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-duke-of-westminster-donates-12-5m-to-nhs-and-the-vulnerable-11973564

Let me rephrase that; HE MIGHT GIVE SOME TO WHOM?

7 Likes

High time we empty the prisons and fill them with these sociopaths.

From Prison Notes, Neil J. Smith

It should be acknowledged that, although the missives are not personally directed, they are addressed to Alison Coleman. That said, let us proceed.

Alison, the scientist who often visits his son with his wife and daughter came in today with his wife only. He is a descent fellow, as is his wife and daughter descent women. They are always a welcome sight. He took a moment, as usual, to simply say “Hello.” As we spoke the subject, which is on
everyones minds this weekend, after Greta Thunberg, the powerhouse of the new youth Movement, addressed the UN. He told me, “I think it’s out of control; it’s a runaway train. I think it’s a little too late.”
I said in return, “Were it not for this young woman I think I would say the same thing, but it strikes me as if she were a force of nature, as if nature itself had called her forth on its behalf like Joan d’ Arc. She, to my mind, represents, as Abe Lincoln put it, ’The better angles of our nature.’ With her appearance on the scene, I think of a saying from the Bible, ‘A small child shall lead them.’ And I pray she is that child.
It does not serve to take people at face value. A lesson made clear to me yesterday, Saturday. Innocence garbed as Madonna and Child entered the hospitality center as often they do. These two have the capacity to beguile. The three year old daughter is simply darling, and the mother a delight. together they make for a charming pair. However, this weekend, as things turned out, it went ugly for them. The K—9 Unit was out in force and found a substantial amount of drugs in the mother’s car. I was the mother’s face as the Officer took her and her daughter in hand. She was ashen, bloodless, and the child confused, near traumatized. I too was shocked, as they took them in custody, carting the mother off to prison and the child put in protective custody. I dare say, I was disheartened. More than disappointed, I was crushed.
The mother and daughter in law, who I mention from time to time, indeed, I mentioned them last week, came in today for their final visit. The mother’s son and daughter in laws husband, will be released Tuesday. I came to know them fairly well. Often I wish I could follow the course of their lives further down the road to see how things turn out.
Alison, the best rapport attainable between CO’s and visitors, I’ve notice, occurs when the TV is tuned into a sports event. Any visitor who knows anything about the sport being broadcast cam comment as virulently as he might please and be acknowledged by the CO’s as one of them. Indeed, they will spiritedly comment back and forth without rancor, as if they were fraternity brothers.
You will know more about this than I since I can’t fathom it for the world of me. This woman, mother and ex-wife, who’ve taken up with a far younger inmate than herself who, from where I stand, belongs to the State. That is, he was in before on a rape and released on parole, broke parole and when he is released again he will be on parole again for the next fifteen years. Sounds like a challenge for Sisyphus, if you ask me. And so I say, “He belongs to the State.” In any case, as she and I were speaking yesterday, she told me of her father committing suicide when she was twelve. I asked, “Did he explain why?”
She said, “He left no note.”
“Were you close?” I asked.
“Very,” she replied.
I thought of the words of Dorothy Day, “Women love blood and uniforms.” While she did not say, “They like bad boys as well,” she could have.

From the Preface:

This small collection of what my sister, Lucille, suggest I call “Prison Notes” were initially intended for my supervisor, Alison Coleman whom I work under for The Osborne Association, shall now reach a concerned, wider audience as well. I have been dashing off cameo pieces now for as long as I’ve been employed by Osborne. I had invited Alison to read a childhood memoir I’d written and after reading it she asked, “Would you mind incorporating some brief sketches of your observations in your weekly reports?” I was happy to comply. Sadly, however, I have deleted the bulk of them over the years, but what remains will served handily. In my duties these past twenty some years as Hospitality Manager at Greene Correctional, a medium security facility, I encounter up-wards to five hundred people per weekend. It is well to remember that none of them necessarily wish to be there, and are there under duress. At the T-shirt of a mother read, “Sorry I’m late but I really didn’t want to come.” The wait to be called for a visit can be both tedious and stressful, and many turn to me in anger in their frustrations. Under the circumstance, it is doubly important I recognize that, often in their distress, when they inadvertently snap out at me, it is not at me, per se, but at a cold and silent bureaucracy which veils the eyes of Justice and not in their favor. On the other hand, most conduct them-selves civilly: they recognize they are there for the inmate and not themselves.
It was my good fortune to have, back in my salad days, worked in the Civil Rights Movement, and thus understand their complaints from the ground up. However, I have no wish to be nor appear complacent because, I am continually reminded, as I encounter and speak to visitors, that they are not all cut from the same cloth. Far from it, many are professionals from every scholastic discipline —as well as everyone else, too, that does not fit that description, on one of the many rungs, up and down the social ladder; and come from every ethnicity and every corner of the known world. Yes, every corner of it! And, of course, expectantly, there are the indigent (The poor shall always be with us). These are their stories and I would most particularly like to dedicate these notes to the grandparents (for the weight seems to bear most heavily on them), the parents, the wives, the brothers and sisters, and boyfriends and girlfriends. These notes are dedicated to all who support and uphold those who are temporarily lost to them in the hope that the loss proves only temporary.

1 Like

LOL. Right.

1 Like

Meet the new robber baron…like the old robber baron. of course his company needs to be broken up. It is a monopoly and has its tenacles in too many areas and is non-competitive. It’s almost like we’ve returned to the 1890s and have learned almost nothing in 130 years except back then some people stood up and did something to end the trusts and monopolies.

4 Likes

Guantanamo is made for them.

4 Likes

The topic of massive inequality in America has been known for some time now. And democratic voters continue to choose neoliberal incrementalists as their nominee.
“In a democracy, citizens get the government they deserve.”

7 Likes

“Now that we have reached the last desperate phase of corporate capitalism, the con artists and thieves, are no longer hiding behind the curtains, they come out to pillage in the open, actively making war on the anemic democratic institutions, from the press to the courts, all of which long ago surrendered to corporate power. These protofascists rely for control on the array of undemocratic tools legalized by their “moderate” predecessors—wholesale surveillance, militarized police, the criminalizing of dissent, the primacy of “law and order” and the revoking of due process and other rights by judicial and legislative fiat.”
Chris Hedges

14 Likes

Amazon is simply the Sears Roebuck of 1920. And the stock market index is gambling with your pension savings. When traders win, profit goes into their pockets. When they lose, they apply / use the capital you provided.

The new york warehouse is using ‘disinfectant fog’ which is really nasty to inhale when you walk into a store or shop early in the morning. Diziness.

Boycott Amazon! break it up!

8 Likes

A person can only eat so many steaks in one day, and guzzle so much expensive wine. Where do you spend the rest.
So it’s not about money itself, it’s about winning. Some people can’t stop or change directions.
Jeff would say, “What’s a hammock. What’s a walk in the woods?”
Jeff is wired differently than most.

1 Like

Do you have any doubt that Bezos would have created the cornonvirus if he could have? Who knows- maybe he did. I put nothing past him. This is all a business opportunity and we as a nation have allowed this.

4 Likes

wingsofadove, as I commented to the NY “Times” today regarding Jeremiah Ellison’s fine article on inequality, titled, “Stop Talking About Inequality and Do Something About It”:

As was famously, infamously, and accurately said of the British Empire at its peak in the late 19th century, “It took half the world to support the British Empire” — it was also said by the Victorian historian JR Seeley, that the nearly global British Empire was acquired thusly, “We seem, as it were, to have conquered and peopled half the world in a 'fit of absence of mind”, and that “the sun never sets on the British Empire”.

However, no Empire was ever acquired in human history by a “fit of absence of mind” — Empires are always purpose-built to acquire as much wealth as possible, which is then aggregated to the very top of their intentionally designed pyramidal hierarchy of wealth and power — that’s the very raison d’être of EMPIRES to exploit, accumulate, and vastly increase wealth inequality to the very top of the pyramid.

So, when Jeremiah says, “Stop Talking About Inequality and Do Something About It”, we should focus, like a laser on that first phrase, “It took half the world to support the British Empire” — and we should understand that now in the 21st century, “It takes several times the world to support this current but effectively camouflaged Disguised Global Crony Capitalist Empire”, which is nominally HQed in, and merely ‘poses’ as, our formerly “promising” and sometimes progressive country (PKA) America.

To “Do Something About Inequality” requires doing something about Empire, and Bernie calls for a 2nd “Our Revolution”, but without the muskets.

[Here’s where I would give you a live link to the article and my commentary] — but CD does not support live links

2 Likes

His $138 billion is 1 and a half times the entire Health and Human Services budget for this year. Such a travesty.
If billionaires want to contribute to ‘worthy causes’ they should advocate higher taxation for themselves. Their combined taxes can contribute much more to the health and welfare of our population than individual ‘good works’.

9 Likes

What? Where? How? Remember, WHEN you could still tell Comcast’s Tea Baggers from Resistance fools? Walmart vs Verizon, Wal-Mart vs WholeFoods, FOX vs MSNBC, RAM vs Audi Q7, etc? Now, it’s N-95 vs surgical mask! Dissing Jeff to the Creative Class™ is like questioning Nancy, Neera or Maddow. Were 105 NYC billionaires all just raptured up?

~https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/04/15/elit-a15.html

~https://truthout.org/video/my-92-year-old-mothers-covid-experience-shows-how-rotten-our-health-system-is/

~https://jacobinmag.com/2020/04/liberal-center-democratic-party-sanders-corbyn/

~https://gothamist.com/food/nyc-grocers-grapple-soaring-prices-strained-supply-chains

~https://www.propublica.org/article/theres-been-a-spike-in-people-dying-at-home-in-several-cities-that-suggests-coronavirus-deaths-are-higher-than-reported

Envy? Hardly. Pity? Absolutely. Power corrupts. And I feel sad for such obscenely corrupted excuses for human beings.

3 Likes

The issue is class struggle and capitalism, not burning Bezos in effigy.

2 Likes