Home | About | Donate

Birders, Green Groups, Defenders of Public Lands Unite, Tell Bundy Militants to 'Go Home'

Birders, Green Groups, Defenders of Public Lands Unite, Tell Bundy Militants to 'Go Home'

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

The militant occupation of a wildlife sanctuary in Oregon has stirred the the ire of hundreds of nature lovers and defenders of public lands who have launched their own counter-protest against the group's ongoing "temper tantrum with guns."

"We can show the gang that's out there at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge how you really make a public statement in support of something," Sean Stevens, executive director of Oregon Wild, declared at a rally in Portland, Oregon's Holladay Park on Tuesday.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I find this reaction interesting.

While probably not untrue, it seems largely besides the point. Yes, police are racist and the "justice" system is heavily unbalanced. But, as the militia folks themselves are probably keenly aware, the U.S government has in fact more than once massacred groups of armed white people. And, in fact, the State regularly executes and murders white people. State violence is not specifically limited to those groups who experience it disproportionately. I don't understand why we have to keep pointing out how, in fairness, the State should just execute these guys.

And, the Hammonds being behind bars, is a very good thing. They have been using a panoply of nasty and unlawful ploys to get their way with these particular public lands for over 3 decades. This new range/frontiers war didn't start in Nevada last year and won't end in Burns, Oregon. It started with the overreach and despicable actions of the Mormon Church in Salt Lake City almost 150 years ago. Now, their and other extraction entities, want to capture the rest of The West. And, if they succeed, the last best places will look more like a West Virginia mountaintop than any wildlife refuge. Those kinds of jail birds, too, always flock together.

Nobody wants to execute anyone. Nobody wants to harm anything. We want the LDS wise men to call their sheep home to the pastures they already own. Besides, they've got wives and children to care for. Many of both, actually. " Happy Trails to you " is what Oregonians and tree huggers, like me, want.

Terrific analogy...well-said...and so true. Zane Grey would give your comment a big "Thumbs UP!"

Thanks for the guffaws!

Well, hope dies last, ya know. And, I think The Bundy Brood, hopes that's still the case in the near future, as well.:wink:

bunch of wankers, the lot of them

You might want to look up "The Elite are Laughing" at Co-creating our Future on Planet Earth, and then "The Elite are laughing - a follow up." While people are focusing on Oregon, they are missing what is going at the whole country. The 1% have used presidential directives under Bush to plan something huge. Check it out.

"I don't understand why we have to keep pointing out how, in fairness, the State should just execute these guys."

Nobody said that. i'm curious why you unconsciously (i presume) read that into that statement.

Fred Hampton.

Sure, but then lots of "religious" tales are pretty much equally obviously absurd...

I challenge you to quote one person on this forum who has advocated the State executing any of these would-be real estate profiteer rednecks.

The fact is that if it were any other group of individuals occupying that wilderness preserve by the force of guns, those individuals would have been swiftly dealt with, and very likely with violence.

Nice to see that there are still folks with real balls that don't need guns to prove it, ..birders....who would of thought.

Not likely....most certainly.

Northwest Steelheaders, a group led by a professional fishing guide protested the armed take over of Malheur by the Bundy's and their fellow travelers.

On the one hand it seems to me that the Hammonds were given an unusually severe sentence on trumped up charges. Having worked for land management agencies myself I can tell you that: 1) burning of rangeland is natural (lightning formerly caused widespread low intensity fires across much of the West and South). 2) Controlled burning is necessary to discourage noxious invasive plants (cedars in this case). It was practiced by the American Indians to improve the habitats for wildlife. 3) What the Hammonds did might better be described as unauthorized controlled burning rather than arson. They failed to get proper permits and allowed the fire to encroach onto public land. In most places they would have gotten a fine and told not to do it again. The matter should be resolved in the courts.

On the other hand, the takeover of public lands by vigilantes cannot be tolerated. Where is law enforcement? Would any previous administration have allowed something like this to go on so long? Why are the Bundys allowed to come and go at will and receive supplies? Cut off the electricity and arrest them when they try to leave. Many have made the point that if these people were blacks, American Indians, or hippies it would have been over a long time ago. I don't advocate violence towards the miscreants but the law must be enforced.