Home | About | Donate

Blame the West’s Interventions for Today's Terrorism

Blame the West’s Interventions for Today's Terrorism

Stephen Kinzer

Outside powers have been crashing into the Middle East for more than a century. At first we presumed that people there would not mind, or even that they would welcome us. Ultimately we realized that our interventions were provoking hatred and violent turmoil. We took refuge in another comforting illusion: that no matter how awful the reaction was, it would be confined to the Middle East.

At least since the 9/11 attacks 14 years ago, it has been clear that this is fantasy. Terrorism and mass migration are bitter results of outside meddling in the Middle East. They will intensify.

Thank you, Stephen Kinzer.
A bit of history for the uninitiated:
"Campbell-Bannerman Report, 1907"

“There are people (the Arabs, Editor’s Note) who control spacious territories teeming with manifest and hidden resources. They dominate the intersections of world routes. Their lands were the cradles of human civilizations and religions. These people have one faith, one language, one history and the same aspirations. No natural barriers can isolate these people from one another … if, per chance, this nation were to be unified into one state, it would then take the fate of the world into its hands and would separate Europe from the rest of the world. Taking these considerations seriously, a foreign body should be planted in the heart of this nation to prevent the convergence of its wings in such a way that it could exhaust its powers in never-ending wars. It could also serve as a springboard for the West to gain its coveted objects.”
From the Campbell-Bannerman Report, 1907
——
“Imperialist Britain called for forming a higher committee of seven European countries. The report submitted in 1907 to British Prime Minister Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman emphasized that the Arab countries and the Muslim-Arab people living in the Ottoman Empire presented a very real threat to European countries, and it recommended the following actions:
1. To promote disintegration, division, and separation in the region.
2. To establish artificial political entities that would be under the authority of the imperialist countries.
3. To fight any kind of unity—whether intellectual, religious or historical —and taking practical measures to divide the region’s inhabitants.
4. To achieve this, it was proposed that a “buffer state” be established in Palestine, populated by a strong, foreign presence that would be hostile to its neighbours and friendly to European countries and their interests.”
Sources: Multiple. Just "search" for, "Campbell-Bannerman Middle East statement 1907 (before British Parliament)

At the same time that Britain (and France/Italy etc) were catching on to converting their naval fleets from coal to oil they were trying to figure out how they could "secure" those resources. It was vital that Britain "secure" those oil sources so as to facilitate that great conversion...the Grand Fleet.
The US was not even smelling oil in the ME at the time; they had their own oil sources within their borders.
And as they say, careful reading of the above statement, "....the rest is history".
The, "Great Betrayal" of the Arabs by Britain and France during and after WW1.
The Sykes/Picot Treaty
The British Mandate for Palestine.
The establishment of the Zionist terror groups (lots of sources to see there)
The continuing ethnic cleansing of the indigenous Palestine population.
The "illegal" (in my humble opinion) founding of the state of Zionist Israel.

Thx to Stephen Kinzer for his great source book, "Overthrow", "America's Century of Regime Change From Hawaii to Iraq", "All the Shah's Men", "An American Coup and the Roots of Middle East Terror". Also a tout to William Blum's, "Killing Hope", "US Military and CIA Interventions since WW2". There are so many others! Even our own government docs that were so available to the public until the Reagan Admin partially strangled any more of that channel of info to the inquisitive public!
There is much documented history to back up the, "blowback" scenario. It is up to the individuals in the US (or other countries) to educate yourselves/themselves. That education is not going to get to you thru major media or in the "normal" educational channels.

Thank you, Stephen Kinzer for this article; thank you CommonDreams for publishing.

Just did a web search for Campbell-Bannerman Report, and there appear to be zero cited references for that quote. The published minutes from the proceedings of the Colonial Conference contain no such quote. Kinzer, in his writings, nowhere references that quote. It appears to be a fabrication.

Google search page:
https://www.google.com/search?q=campbell-bannerman+report&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Other links on the Google search:
http://www.tlaxcala.es/pp.asp?reference=4652&lg=en

"The Origins of the State of Isreal Part 1"

Henry Campbell-Bannerman PM Britain, 1905-1908

I much admire Stephen Kinzer (and so many more) but cannot expect every writer I respect intellectually to know every finite piece of history. More than 100 years have passed since the events I describe before, during and after WW1, the ensuing secret treaties, the betrayal of the Arabs by both our President Wilson and consequently the League of Nations. The Arabs were promised by Wilson, Britain and France (reluctantly) "..independence...".....if they entered the war (WW1) against the Germans. As I have said, "....and the rest is history". As with American archives, others release their "history" periodically with more and more adding to the past versions.
Viewing the events of the force of Zionism from the late 1800's thru WW1, it's influence thru main characters easily determined on various governments, up until the present, viewing the Campbell Bannerman Report of 1907 really makes sense considering the unfolding history.

I appreciate your interest in the subject.
I have studied the events in the ME for many decades and have found more and more documents being exposed making sense of the events that have unfolded and given us the mess we live with today in the ME. It is a complicated subject and not given to simple explanations. A good example is the changing of the Ottoman Land Laws soon after the British "received" the Palestine Mandate, which facilitated the trading, selling, and in the crunch outright expulsion of the indigenous Palestinians, which included some Jews, Christians, Arabs, etc......of which Jews were a distinct minority of the population at the time....around 7-8% (easily researched).

enough for now.

"Fanatics are trying to draw the United States back into Middle East quicksand. If we fall into that trap, we will not only intensify the war that is raging there, but bring it home."

Really? Maybe I'm missing something, here, but I don't think the U.S. ever left. Bush and then Obama may have pompously declared war to be over for the sake of their political agendas, but the drones continue to fly, arms from the U.S. continue to flood into the region, bombing runs continue across a wide front, private defense contractors and the defense industry continue to make profits on the turmoil and blood that continues to spill. The U.S. is very much involved in the war that is currently raging, there. Indeed, the MIC and the warrior elite in Washington don't see the Middle East as a trap; they see it as an opportunity. The terrorists have conveniently provided them with a justification for more of the same. They don't call it endless war for nothing.

i appreciate your efforts. i'm not sure you understood what i wrote.

Nothing on the Google search page, and nothing at the site you linked, confirm the existence of the supposedly quoted report. In fact the page you cited acknowledges that they have no such confirmation, and no citation:

"As the report was strategically important it was suppressed, and was never released to the public up till today's date."

So they quote the supposed report, and assert that it is true, but acknowledge that there is not, and has never been, anyone who can produce the document itself.

The desire to believe, and the apparent plausibility of a belief, are not evidence of the existence of the thing that is believed in.

Please let me know if you find any ACTUAL EVIDENCE that such a document ever existed, beyond reading another repetition of the same non-sourced "citation" in numerous places on the Internet. Pending that, i'll note this as another apparent fraud.

And to be clear: The rest of the historical events you cite in your original post did happen, and there are existing documents to prove that. These events are super important for understanding the colonialist, imperialist, Western hubris roots of the present-day ugly mess, which has us on the brink of another outbreak of world war.

Well I suppose it's a good thing that an article like this appeared in a "mainstream" organ of the media, but it is a rather tepid piece of tiptoeing around the real truth. Don't know the circulation or the influence of the Boston Globe or Kinzer's relationship to that paper (has the tone and length of an "official" editorial.) The history of the West's meddling in the ME is a lot more sinister than what he suggests here, and today I would either classify Al Qaeda, ISIS, ISIL, Daesh, etc. as assets of the US MIC or alternately as the MIC's unwitting dupes. Either way, ordinary peace loving and seeking people both there and here are f#%$@d.