Home | About | Donate

Blame US Trade Policy for Sky-High Drug Prices

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/10/blame-us-trade-policy-sky-high-drug-prices

2 Likes

The prices of drugs have no relation to anything but greed, it often seems. However, I am concerned with drugs that are put out into the marketplace —and with small testing pools or number of “volunteers,: it seems that daily often, these” miracles drugs," end up killing a lot of people and a person would think—don’t these drug companies trust their potions?
I think that we already know that Monsanto/ Bayer and others don’t seem to do much testing—or they do —but they take out the scary killer parts in their test info. . I read from Ralph Nader that a person should not take a drug until its been around for 7 years. My elderly neighbor was taking so many pills that he couldn’t keep track----------weirdly, he stopped taking them and could function so much better, It seems that the population is often an unknowing participant in drug studies. : 0

1 Like

Hey stardustIBID, you’ve hit on a subject that very few think about, including doctors, dangerous drug interactions caused by patients prescribed a multitude of different drugs. A few years ago I read a story about a retired pharmacist who wanted to give back to his community. He volunteered at a retirement home, and discovered a major problem with the meds the residents were being prescribed. Once he realized the problem existed, that’s where he spent all of his time, one resident at a time would bring him all of their meds, and he would spend hours, sometimes days, tracking down the compatibility of the meds the person brought him. He found contra-indications with their meds with almost every resident. Shocking, but happens everyday, and people die from it everyday, and other than that one article, I’ve never seen anything else about the subject.
Sorry, just realized my ramblings are slightly off topic.

While our national trade policies of course play a roll in the pricing of most of our goods. the main driver for the exorbitant prices we pay for drugs here in the USA is still primarily the fact that we insist on maintaining a privatized healthcare system where Big Pharma makes almost three quarters of its worldwide profits.
It’s price gouging, plain and simple.

This was America:

(from Salk.edu, emphasis mine)

Jonas Edward Salk was born October 28, 1914 in New York City, the eldest of three sons to Russian-Jewish immigrants Daniel and Dora Salk. The first member of his family to attend college, he earned his medical degree from the New York University School of Medicine in 1939 and became a scientist physician at Mount Sinai Hospital.

In 1942, Salk went to the University of Michigan on a research fellowship to develop an influenza vaccine. He soon advanced to the position of assistant professor of epidemiology. He also reconnected with his NYU friend and mentor, Thomas Francis, Jr., head of the epidemiology department at Michigan’s new School of Public Health, who taught him the methodology of vaccine development.

In 1947, Salk was appointed director of the Virus Research Laboratory at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. With funding from the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis—now known as the March of Dimes Birth Defects Foundation—he began to develop the techniques that would lead to a vaccine to wipe out the most frightening scourge of the time: paralytic poliomyelitis.

Contrary to the era’s prevailing scientific opinion, Salk believed his vaccine, composed of “killed” polio virus, could immunize without risk of infecting the patient. Salk administered the vaccine to volunteers who had not had polio, including himself, his lab scientist, his wife and their children. All developed anti-polio antibodies and experienced no negative reactions to the vaccine.

In 1954, national testing began on one million children, ages six to nine, who became known as the Polio Pioneers. On April 12, 1955, the results were announced: the vaccine was safe and effective. In the two years before the vaccine was widely available, the average number of polio cases in the U.S. was more than 45,000. By 1962, that number had dropped to 910. Hailed as a miracle worker, Salk never patented the vaccine or earned any money from his discovery, preferring it be distributed as widely as possible.

1 Like

Hi ReconFire:
No you are not rambling!!! : ) But somehow a lot of those poor patients given so many drugs end up being the rambling ones. I can’t believe that no one in the government seems to care—because geez, how can they trust any pills for themselves or anyone in their family?
I wish that big pharma would be nationalized, and then maybe people would be healthier if wellness and not profit was their aim. : (

1 Like

At least the price would be manageable even though the outcomes are no better.