Home | About | Donate

Blow to 'Powerful Corporate Interests' as Federal Court Throws Out Pipeline Company Lawsuit Against DAPL Water Protectors

Blow to 'Powerful Corporate Interests' as Federal Court Throws Out Pipeline Company Lawsuit Against DAPL Water Protectors

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

In a "landmark" ruling on Thursday, a federal court in North Dakota tossed out a "baseless" case against Greenpeace and other environmental and Indigenous activists who organized protests against the deeply controversial Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL), which drew thousands of people to the Standing Rock Indian Reservation in 2016.

3 Likes

Energy Transfer Partners is the true Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization in this case, and the true heroes are the indigenous water protectors, their supporters, and District Judge Billy Roy Wilson. Now, if only we could fight SLAPPs by hitting frivolous and malicious prosecutions with treble damages…

5 Likes

This makes for two corporate ‘blows’ in one week. I certainly classify Amazon’s bail-out in NYC as one, this as the other. Evidently, there are a LOT of us who are fed-up with corporate malfeasance. Winds of change?

6 Likes

As the target of a SLAPP suit that took eight years to overcome, I celebrate with these defendants. And I warily eye the numerous state and federal legislative attempts to silence our voices and civil liberties. We should resist with all we have the Israel Anti-Boycott Act and other legislative attempts to abridge our right express grievances. We should monitor and shutdown the proliferation of state legislative legislation aimed at prohibiting our constitutional right of peaceful assembly.

6 Likes

A very big bravo to the Water Protectors and Judge Billy Roy Wilson!

We need a judge with as much independence, integrity and judicial wisdom to hear the case challenging the anti-BDS Movement laws, by states and the Israel-first Congress, that un-Constitutionally limited, banned criticism of the racist entity of Israel by American citizens and businesses!

Just as the fossil-fuel industry has subverted our elected reps, so too has the pro-Israel lobby, with many craven sycophants treasonously pledging allegiance to that Apartheid state.

" Pro-Israel donors spent over $22m on lobbying and contributions in 2018 "

BDS!

4 Likes