Home | About | Donate

Boeing, Obama, a Gold Watch, and 346 Dead

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/06/boeing-obama-gold-watch-and-346-dead

3 Likes

Obama wasn’t just a passenger plane salesman. He was also the Salesman - in - Chief for the U.S. arms industry, never passing up an opportunity to sell weapons when visiting other countries. Yup, did his Nobel Peace prize award proud.

7 Likes

A Fist Full of Dollars

3 Likes

The d-party apologist brigade will be along any moment to tell us that “at least Obama was better than Trump.” But, hey, thanks for RomneyCare…

5 Likes

Sounds like Obama and members of his cabinet need to be named in the lawsuits that are sure to come from the survivors of these tragedies.

5 Likes

"Democrats want to make Donald Trump the issue in 2020.

If they do, they will lose again, the way they lost in 2016."

Well, the Republicans want to make the Democratic candidate (no matter how “moderate”) the issue in 2020.

If they do, they will win again, the way they won in 2020.

Sure, attacking corporate power needs to be the key agenda of any progressive forces trying to seize political power, but I am having trouble believing that anyone could believe that in the current nadir of US politics, making “corporate power in all of its manifestations, its hold on the culture, our country and both major political parties” would be a winning strategy. Mr. Mockhiber really needs to start hanging out in some bars and bowling alleys. He would find out that a majority of likely to vote USAns practically worship the ground that Musk, Bezos, Gates, Zuckerberg, Brin Page… walk on (or drive their Teslas on). In my neck of the Appalachian woods, they worship Bob Murray, Contura energy, Consol, Energy, and Range Resources…

Obama is not the 1st (or last) President to support American manufacturing and he’s certainly NOT an engineer so there’s some hyperbole here in suggesting he is somehow complicit in those unfortunate deaths.

I would suggest reaching out to him and asking what he thinks now and if that “gold watch” joke still keeps time.

4 Likes

Maybe Mr. Mochiber is unaware of this, but every head of state in the world is involved in promotion of their local high-value added goods or technologies to other countries. Trudeau promotes Bombardier passenger planes and rail transit rolling stock, Lula and Dilma promoted Embraer airliners and the French presidents and British PMs promote Airbus Airliners and the Arianne rocket.

And the “gold watch” comment is called 'a joke".

Sorry, but I see no scandal here.

Promoting American corporations is one thing, rolling back protective regs is something else.
It’s one of the Trump administration’s chief activities.

$10 million or a gold watch?

“I’ll take the $10 million. We don’t need no stinkin’ regulations!"

6 Likes

There is no hyperbole in the reality that Obama promoted a dangerous de-regulation of the industry-handing over the inspection and approval of Boeing’s systems to Boeing itself. This led directly to the deaths of hundreds of people. That is what happens when persons with enormous power forget that their responsibility is to the passengers and workers-Obama should have known that the corporations and their owners could-and would- take care of themselves.

6 Likes

Hope and change.

At least for large companies like Boeing.

2 Likes

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha…

“During his time as President of the United States, Barack Obama promoted the sale of Boeing planes—including the 737 Max 8 planes—around the world.” - just like Hillary Clinton while part of the Obama administration.sold fracking around the world…how different from the trump regime relationship with big-oil exploitation and pollution… …how refreshing and secure to have a “democrat” in the WH…preserving and protection all our civil liberties and rights, protecting clean water and banning other environmental rape and destruction…also protecting us from predatory banker/wall street big pharma and insurance industry parasites…
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-wedding-that-explains-the-election - what a photo!

2 Likes

I’ll bet it was those meddling Russians who forced neoliberal Obama to shill for Boeing!

1 Like

I managed to fly on Boeing 737 Max 8s belong to both Lion Air and to Ethiopian Air before they got grounded, so I have followed this topic with interest. The Boeing Max was built on top of the old Boeing 737 air frame to save time (competition from the improved Airbus 320neo plane) and money (the development of the Boeing 787 cost billions of $). The original Boeing 737 from the 1960s carried 85 passengers, whereas the largest MAX is to transport 230 souls. With an unchanged frame, this meant that the larger engines were moved up and forward, making the plane liable to stall under some operating conditions. Hence the CMAS system, where a computer took over in certain circumstances, in order to avert a stall. Obviously, no sane person would build a passenger plane that is unstable (i.e. not air worthy) in some situations. Boeing did this simply because greed overruled prudent engineering. Al Jazeera has some excellent documentaries on both the Boeing 737 Max and the Boeing 787, aka the Dreamliner.

4 Likes

Ah yes – profit over safety. Pretty much a defining symptom of our corporatocracy. You see it in corporate vaccines, pharma drugs, hormone-growth milk, GMO frankenfood etc. The latest is all the microwave/wi-fi/5G technology. Did you know that industry implemented this tech upon us without a single health study? All part of the "military-industrial complex that Ike warned us about and here we are. By the way that complex ended up assassinating the very next president following Ike, pretty dangerous creature, this M.I.X. Now endless wars, bloated government and a sick heath-care system – really nuts!

OK, it’s a corporatocracy. Gazzionaires rule us and we hardly know their names. As they get richer and we get poorer and nature goes to hell, what can we do about it? What’s it going to take? They will not give up their privileged advantage without a pretty serious fight.

I think this is an issue where the grass roots of both the left and right would come together if they could just see and realize that the corporatocracy is slowly but inexorably killing us all off. Pretty tough assignment since the corporate media has done such a splendid job of brain washing both the left and right, at least us of the unwashed hordes. Common Dreams, let us see what you can do! Gopherit

1 Like

$$$$$…this is a complete sentance.

Given the parade of monsters, including its founder, whose legacy the nobel “peace prize” has attempted to whitewash over the years, i am amazed anyone still considers it an honor.
Granted, Obama was the first nobel laureate to bomb another nobel laureate (doctors without borders), but it was certainly not the first time a mass murdering piece of shit got that dubious award.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree this is the issue that is important. Not focusing on the promotion and sales of a corporation’s product. Industry is first and foremost loyal to their stock holders, their bottom line, their profits. Or, essentially, greed. Which always seems to come first. Why, then, trust them to be honest about the safely or integrity of their products?

1 Like