Home | About | Donate

Borrowing From Big Tobacco's Playbook, Johnson & Johnson Knew About Asbestos in Baby Powder for Decades: Reuters

Borrowing From Big Tobacco's Playbook, Johnson & Johnson Knew About Asbestos in Baby Powder for Decades: Reuters

Jessica Corbett, staff writer

A Reuters investigation published Friday charges that Johnson & Johnson, a multi-billion dollar company known for its healthcare products, knew for decades that its iconic talcum baby powder "was sometimes tainted with carcinogenic asbestos," but concealed the information from regulators and the public.

I almost freaked. Secret is part of the P&G family and not J&J. I use Secret.

I’m so sorry for these women who caught ovarian cancer from Johnson and Johnson products including using powdered deodorant.

Good article.

No amount of talcum can stem the stench of “Profit Űber Alles”

Any company willing to kill it’s customers needs to be buried, Monsanto to Johnson & Johnson.

For decades issues that might have interrupted the profit stream were seen as verboten by the media.

In case nobody told you,

Asbestos, baby powder, fiberglass insulation, vermiculite plant growth medium. You might as well know what’s next on the asbestos list.

Our economic system – Capitalism invented by “Christianity” – is based in
exploitation and ultimately judging everything by the yardstick of a dollar bill –
with profits going to the 1% and the harm going to the 99%.

Capitalism is suicidal.

I think that substituting are for were would be more accurate. The corporate personage is a known psychopath with deep pockets and an advertising budget.

This irks me as a small business owner. I always make sure to get my products inspected and I know all the statistics about the defect rates. Why didn’t they spend a little bit more money to verify that there would be no asbestos?

Yeah, why? I think a fellow business person probably knows the answer to that. $

There is absolutely no way that fiberglass could have asbestos in it. Two totally different things.

Not all businesses are black hat. Some genuinely want to have trust and compassion with their customers. Why can’t a business make profits and have trust with their customers at the same time?

Yes. And, both are extremely dangerous and should be handled with gloves and a face mask so you don’t breathe them in.
I like this site’s comments which can be vetted and some have links:

"Fiber glass is not safe. A mask and gloves are recommended when handling, and cutting materials with fiberglass in it produces lots of dangerous particles.

Asbestos is most dangerous when it is friable, or easily crumbled by hand, releasing lots of particles. It also causes cancer somehow. Fiberglass probably causes cancer too.

Fiberglass fibers are typically 5-25 micrometers , while asbestos fibers can be 180A to 300A. A angstrom (A) is 1/10,000 th of a micrometer. Therefore an asbestos fiber is 166 to 1,390 times smaller than a glass fiber. I think this is why asbestos is so much worse. I am way out of my depth here, but I think the smaller fibers do way more damage per fiber than the larger ones. "

And,

“fiberglass is not safe, especially if it is made out of exceedingly thin fibers. Inhalation of fine fiberglass dust will probably lead to silicosis and other unpleasant health effects.”

There are a lot of things that are irritants when inhaled and will eventually cause cancer. One of the most prevalent is tobacco smoke. At least in part, it is the constant irritation that creates the cancer.

Yeah, but it’s not known to cause immediate birth defects which asbestos does.