Home | About | Donate

Boston City Council Passes Groundbreaking Food Justice Ordinance

Boston City Council Passes Groundbreaking Food Justice Ordinance

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

Food justice advocates heaped praise on Boston Monday after the city's legislative body unanimously passed an ordinance that boosts the local economy and environment as well as workers, animal welfare, and healthful eating.

"With this passage, Boston has loosened the stranglehold that corporations have over our food system, especially in schools," said Alexa Kaczmarski, senior organizer at Corporate Accountability, following the vote on the Good Food Purchasing Program (GFPP).

"This will have ripple effects throughout the entire nation," she added.

4 Likes

That’s incredible. Good for you Boston city council.

7 Likes

Good for them and for the people, let move across the nation and part of that should be to have healthy grocery outlets in areas where there are only 7 --11 type shopping (yuk).

6 Likes

So where are we supposed to get all of this healthy food from when everything around us is tainted? The soil, air, water, organic nutrients and insect control that may not be organic at all. Seeds! Notice there are less Heirloom and More GMO Seeds atvlocal Nurseries for planting? I’ve grown an Organic Garden for the last 10 years and each season is worse than the last. Growing season is shorter and Non GMO seeds are more prone to disease faster so my yield is less.

4 Likes

Congrats to Boston! This is exactly the kind of initiatives that need to be taken at the local level. Hit Big Ag in the pocket book at a significant level. I am all for it!

6 Likes

As someone who has adopted an all plant-based diet, swearing off meat and dairy, I say, "Boston City Council Rocks."

5 Likes

Beautiful! I intend to send this article to my local, state, and federal legislators. We have good farmers markets here and a number of restaurants that use locally grown organic food, but the schools need Help.

6 Likes

A little early to claim “victory”; however, what an amazing triumph for Massachusetts! Would that Miami and Tampa follow suit. The southern states must move toward the same objectives. Taxes well spent are worth paying! Meanwhile, DeSantis, Rubio, et. al.

Wow. What the heck are these people thinking

Smart Intelligent Good Fair Compassionate and Healthy

What is going on here

2 Likes

Definitely agreeing with Lady K on this. This was a much needed thing that the Council should’ve passed a long time ago. I am all for it as well! Cheers :smiley:

2 Likes

The truly great thing about this is that it can be done piece-meal, rather than hoping and pushing for a national solution in a huge country of deeply divided citizenry.
It is a small start, but I predict very good results for the Boston community. Things that work get noticed.

2 Likes

How is it working out, inception to current date, in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, etc.?

Meanwhile, blast from the past, in his ‘Stalking the Wild Asparagus’ Euell Gibbons told a contrast, of high end Philadelphia restaurants charging quite a bit for wintercress salad, while Italian immigrants would scavenge vacant lots picking wintercress for their own salads.

1 Like

Sounds great to me, breaking corporate monopolies, good healthy food for minorities and people with disabilities too. Healthy, tasty food for everybody. I hope my city Phila. PA follow suit asap.

This article says some GMO doesn’t have to be labelled.
https://www.sott.net/article/409569-More-than-20-gene-edited-crops-have-been-given-non-regulated-status-by-the-USDA

Why indeed?
The old standard is that companies can advertise that their products are safer because they are ‘organic’, and / or ‘not genetically modified’

Second by the way: Pretty much everything we buy in the store has been ‘genetically modified’. The corn on the cob we buy today looks very different from the thumb-sized cobs that Native Mexican peasants grew three thousand years ago.

Applause for this radical effort and great hope for its success and proliferation. Time will be the test,

A red herring for GMOs to equal the best of the half truths. The difference between natural selection and a genetics lab is immense. I say natural because we naturally chose the output of the better crop to replant. No genes were spliced. The changes in the plant were created by the plant not by the farmer of a lab. The harvest is due to the genetic material created entirely by the plant.

Good idea overall, especially with regard to local food sources. The products used by ‘conventional’ farmers that are presented as needing to be not present in food are ALL legal, regulated, components of 'conventional ’ farm management.
The policy declares the food eaten by students is FREE OF these microcomponents of an animal or plant’s growth stages. Whether it be hormones to aid in growth rate of pre-weaning beef cattle, or modified genes to aid in a plant’s resistance to certain microbes, the additives would be useless unless ‘used up’ by the plant or animal. Just because we have testing equipment that can detect PPB does not mean those remnants are harmful. As with virtually all groups that want foods to be labelled for the products they object to, the objection to their presence, in my opinion, boils down to a mistrust of large multinational companies. Anecdotal evidence seems to trump science for such groups. Household income for most such advocates must surely be greater than average.
I personally have no objection at all to eating food composed of genetically modified primary sources [cows, sheep, wheat, canola, corn] Nor do I consider properly used antibiotics a problem. People who badger a pharmacist to provide antibiotics for a cold (which is viral, not bacterial!!} do much more harm with regard to resistance than do lame cows who may have had an antibiotic for a bacterial infection three years before slaughter.
There’s more to say, much more, but this has to end here. To place a high priority on students getting good food, nevertheless, is a very good goal. Just not a real connection to primary ag production among policy makers.

If you are saying that there are other foods besides GMO are not worth eating, yes, I agree. Selective breeding goes back over centuries. The movement against modern grains such as modern corn and wheat is huge indeed.
Wild game is also said to be more nutritious, but stay away from that deer meat in the US! Reserves sometimes feed wild deer feed from rendering plants and it may have animal protein from sick animals.