Home | About | Donate

Both Parties Agree: Selling Out Is Worth It

Both Parties Agree: Selling Out Is Worth It

Michael Winship

Pity poor Washington. No doubt breaking the hearts of elected and appointed government officials, their staffs and hangers-on, the Open Secrets blog at the Center for Responsive Politics reports that the “influence industry appears to be contracting, and the trend continued in 2015.”

Ban it Bernie!

Thanks Michael. The stench of corruption, collusion and complicity is indeed overpowering........

Their pious statements that they do it "To serve the Public" are as phony as Iron Eyes Cody...who had both parents come from Sicily.

"Quintupling their $174.000 Congressional salaries" when they retire to K Street is indeed the LEAST they make. In 2003 Billy Tauzin walked into a $2 million K Street job the week after he resigned Congress after pushing through Dubya's Medicare extortion bill that (among other atrocities) prohibit the Government from negotiating drug prices. During his first week in the White House in 2009 Obama met secretly with Tauzin to assure him that his Affordable Care Act (ACA) would perpetuate the drug price negotiation ban and provide additional corporate welfare to the drug industry.

No kidding! This has been going on a very long time. In the modern era I guess one would call it, William Jennings Bryant would have won over McKinley has not Morgan, Rockefeller and Carnegie spent a record amount of money at that time to get the guy they wanted, but since when hasn't it been this way? After all, why lock the doors to the hall the constitution was being written in if the founders wanted input from regular people? I wonder what the constitution would have become had people like you and I been allowed to participate? Not that it matters much any longer, not when that document is only adhered to by government when it suits them.

All this selling out by the middle of the road "centrist" politicians continues to cost the lives of many of the 99%. If you keep on doing what you have always been doing, you will keep getting what you have always been getting...the only thing you find in the middle of the road is road kill, and we cannot afford to see more of our 99% brethren turned into road kill by centrist politicians.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

"In Washington, [money] not only talks, it bellows like a bull."

Everybody knows this, even the pols in Congress who respond to the bellowing like eager little puppydogs. And everyone admits that it is a fundamental problem with our representative democracy that has to change. But it doesn't change. Why? See quote above.

Hillary Clinton won't fix this problem. Sanders might not be able to fix it, but I believe he will try like hell.

He has not been made king yet.