Home | About | Donate

Brady Campaign Statement on Umpqua Community College Shooting

Brady Campaign Statement on Umpqua Community College Shooting

WASHINGTON - Of the recent mass shooting at Oregon's Umpqua Community College, Dan Gross, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said:

"We join the rest of the nation in shock, horror, and grief as the news of today’s school shooting in Oregon continues to unfold. What should have been a sanctuary for education and a symbol of bright futures will now become the latest memorial of victims lost to America’s gun violence epidemic.

###

First, my condolences to all the families of those we lost and to those wounded by this senseless attack. Second, why do we continue to have gun free target ranges for the sick killers in our society? Had there been just one law abiding citizen with a carry permit many lives could have possibly been saved. If it were not a gun free zone it likely would not have even happened. Chances are the human killer with the weapon would have looked further for a gun free zone. Blaming the weapon is very short sighted and more gun bans mean nothing to those intent on harming. They laugh at the senseless bans. Of course this will be splashed all over the news and even lies told of how law abiding citizens should lose their second amendment rights to protect everyone in America. This was a cowards work.

My sister lives in Roseburg and I have been to her place many times visiting and have driven her to the Umpqua campus to attend social gatherings, so I know the lay of the land, so to speak. I live in another country and have pleaded with her to leave the US, once and for all, as I did fifty years ago. So far, she has resisted, because she believed her little town was immune to American violence and death. This episode though may be the straw that broke the camel's back. I sure hope so. I want my sister and other members of my family to be safe and that is an impossibility in the US.

Oh please, spare me the gun free zone BS crap argument from the pro gun crowd. The Tucson massacre was in a GUN zone. There were people in the area with conceal carry guns but they were not in the exact location of the shooter except for one guy who almost shot the wrong person. Eventually the shooter was taken down by bystanders when he had to pause to reload. Columbine was NOT a gun free zone. There were 2 armed guards there and one of them did manage to shoot at one of the crazed teen shooters. VTech had armed campus guards. We don't need a bunch of untrained, hysterical and panicked armed civilians confusing and compounding an already volatile situation. I could see these armed civilians shooting the wrong people or being shot by the police who don't know the bad shooter from the good shooter. What could go wrong, a whole slew of armed college kids roaming the campus, especially during a beer bong party with some drugs thrown in for good measure.